2017 S4 Security Upgrades

Wurzel_Audi

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m new the forum and have read various posts and articles on the standard security. I’ve just put a deposit down on a used 2017 S4.

From what I’ve read:
Keep in the garage out of sight - can’t do that as it’s full of stuff
Fit a ghost - I’ve read up on the latest Pandora immobiliser / alarms with remote engine kill - does any one use these? I had a Clifford years ago that kept false alarming; not sure if an after martlet alarm will be more hassle than it’s worth
Disc lok / steering wheel lock - a nuisance but will buy it if necessary
- gap insurance policy - wouldn’t be without one!

so the questions are: ghost vs a Pandora with prox tags or equivalent- any recommendations?

is an immobiliser circuit on the ODBC port sufficient? Or does it really need moving?

Scorpion do a tracker with remote engine kill - not sure how easy these are to find and deactivate

Thanks

Or if you're that worried, remove a few fuses, relays, far from ideal, but most car thieves doubtful carry any, know where to check or have time lol, that'll certainly stop them.

I have a 2017 S4. My honest thoughts on this are that if someone wants it, they’ll probably get it, and will simply lift it regardless of what extra security you fit. It’s a car, we move on. Making this harder for them might sound like a good idea at first but the persistent and perhaps professionally violent thief won’t give a damn and find other ways of getting it. Gap insurance is as far as I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sibmets
The obvious and easiest option is clear the garage (as you have one!). Most people keep/hoard crap, maybe a small shed or board out your loft for additional storage.

Whilst I don't own an S4 (yet), I currently own a GTI have had other desirables previously. If the car is in a secure locked garage, the chances of someone bothering you will be pretty slim. Worse case they break into the garage which hopefully has some separation from the house.

Car security aside, thieves now will break into a house for the keys (especially if your using a faraday case). Living in Manchester I have had neighbors experienced this already. Better home security such as lighting, anti snap locks, good quality windows and doors, CCTV should hopefully decrease desirability.

All being said, its only a car. Let them take it and stay safe otherwise :)

Reactions: SiPie
The obvious and easiest option is clear the garage (as you have one!). Most people keep/hoard ****, maybe a small shed or board out your loft for additional storage.

Whilst I don't own an S4 (yet), I currently own a GTI have had other desirables previously. If the car is in a secure locked garage, the chances of someone bothering you will be pretty slim. Worse case they break into the garage which hopefully has some separation from the house.

Car security aside, thieves now will break into a house for the keys (especially if your using a faraday case). Living in Manchester I have had neighbors experienced this already. Better home security such as lighting, anti snap locks, good quality windows and doors, CCTV should hopefully decrease desirability.

All being said, its only a car. Let them take it and stay safe otherwise :)
2nd the ‘clear your garage out’ suggestion. If you are that worried about security then it’s a no brainer

From the reading that I have done online, today's car thief is lazy and would tend to buy one of those things that can clone your key the next time you unlock it, follow you home then come back one night to take it rather than anything that would require any effort.

With this in mind I bought a Stoplock Elite. The car could still be stolen either by using one of these cloning devices or by breaking in a taking the keys but in order to to get the stoplock off they would have to make two cuts in the steering wheel as the clamps for it go around either side of one of the spokes on the steeering wheel. Of course you need to make sure that the key for it isn't on the bunch with your car key.

Primarily it's visible from a good distance which should deter most thieves and cost less than £40

As others have said, at the end of the day it's only a car and can be replaced