2017 S3 road tax UK

M

Matt21385

As above, can someone tell me how much the first years road tax is on a brand new S3 in the UK?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Think it's £500 but that is included in the price you pay. After that it's £140 per year plus £340 if the retail price is over 40k.

Well the Mrs seems to think it's not included. Will need to check into it as collecting the car on the 24th. I stupidly forgot to ask when we ordered it.

Well the Mrs seems to think it's not included. Will need to check into it as collecting the car on the 24th. I stupidly forgot to ask when we ordered it.

Yes it's included, 1000000%! Always has been the case. It's part of the registration fee.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Matt21385
Depends on what body shape you opt for I believe, mine is a 3 door and S Tronic the dealership has confirmed it will be £200 first registration fee + tax. But I believe the Saloon is a fair bit more expensive also manual gearbox puts the price of the tax up.

Just couldn't remember from my current car. Think the Mrs just gets these ideas in her head

Yes it's included, 1000000%!

That's confidence for you

However unless you have been given an MRRP rather than OTRP but you won't have so I'm with AudiNutta

Reactions: Scottyg, Matt21385 and AudiNutta
The tax will be included and for the first year its cost is co2 based. S3's from memory fall in the £200 or £500 bracket dependant on model and gearbox. If the list price including options, delivery, pdi is below 40k you will pay £140 per year road tax from year 2 onwards whatever the co2. Reg fee and first years tax is not included in the £40k threshold. If the car value does stray above £40k an additional £310 / year luxury car tax is payable for the first 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's confidence for you

However unless you have been given an MRRP rather than OTRP but you won't have so I'm with AudiNutta

Only because it's the way any car has ever been bought new :p

You can't opt out of paying the tax as it is automatically paid / included in the vehicle registration fee. So if you buy a car new, it will be taxed.. no way around it. You can be quoted minus the OTR fee, but can't buy a new car without it.

The tax will be included and for the first year its cost is co2 based. S3's from memory fall in the £200 or £500 bracket dependant on model and gearbox. If the list price including options, delivery, pdi is below 40k you will pay £140 per year road tax from year 2 onwards whatever the co2. Reg fee and first years tax is not included in the £40k threshold. If the car value does stray above £40k an additional £310 / year luxury car tax is payable for the first 5 years.

So is that £310 spread over the 5 years in addition to the £140 per year and not £450 per year for 5years...that would be ridiculously expensive!

Yes it's £450 per year £40+ a month.

OMG...as much as I love my S3 which was way over £40k with the options when new, I seriously need to consider my next purchase as £450 per year tax is madness!

Looking at the Configurator I'll be hard pushed to get anywhere near the spec I want for under £40k even cutting back on some options.

May have to consider a good spec nearly new motor next.

Reactions: OST and AudiNutta
So is that £310 spread over the 5 years in addition to the £140 per year and not £450 per year for 5years...that would be ridiculously expensive!
If your car's list price (on the day before it is taxed for the 1st time and including extras) is over £40,000 then the Extra tax to pax is £310 per year for 5 years starting after the 1st year. So it would be an extra £1,550 spread over the 5 years.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Riko0073 and Ad72
May have to consider a good spec nearly new motor next.

Sadly, that won't work. You still pay the £450 per year until the car is five years old. Unless the car was registered before April 2017 that is.

Reactions: Ad72 and Matt21385
Be loads of people complaining at having to pay £450 road Tax a year, don't think twice about paying that, and more a year for their Sky package? Pay way more (probably thousands) than that a year if they smoke? Probably pay way more than that a year if they go drinking on a weekend.

Yes it's a bitter pill to swallow, as yet again the car owner gets taxed yet again. But at least most people now are going to be paying £140 a year, where before they were maybe paying just £30. We all use the roads, and we should all pay more fairly. Yes, I'd rather now have to pay £450 a year when I change my car next, but it certainly wouldn't stop me buying a car over it.

Reactions: AudiNutta, SILVAF0XX, Ormesome and 1 other person
Sadly, that won't work. You still pay the £450 per year until the car is five years old. Unless the car was registered before April 2017 that is.

Yep, I'll be looking for a used pre April motor

Or just something nice new under the £40k, possibly upgrade the wife's car and get myself something a bit smaller and fun...S1 maybe!

Be loads of people complaining at having to pay £450 road Tax a year, don't think twice about paying that, and more a year for their Sky package? Pay way more (probably thousands) than that a year if they smoke? Probably pay way more than that a year if they go drinking on a weekend.

Yes it's a bitter pill to swallow, as yet again the car owner gets taxed yet again. But at least most people now are going to be paying £140 a year, where before they were maybe paying just £30. We all use the roads, and we should all pay more fairly. Yes, I'd rather now have to pay £450 a year when I change my car next, but it certainly wouldn't stop me buying a car over it.

Yes I agree but as much as I love my S3 I don't think it's worth paying that much tax.

It will certainly be a consideration when I change and will now consider my options. I don't smoke or drink much and so always enjoy my cars but for an S3 I don't think I would be happy paying that much tax on it.

Yes I agree but as much as I love my S3 I don't think it's worth paying that much tax.

It will certainly be a consideration when I change and will now consider my options. I don't smoke or drink much and so always enjoy my cars but for an S3 I don't think I would be happy paying that much tax on it.

Happy to pay £40,000+ for a car. Unhappy paying £450 a year road Tax.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Phutters, Ormesome and 3 others
Happy to pay £40,000+ for a car. Unhappy paying £450 a year road Tax.
Yeah yeah, I know but who said I'm happy now paying over £40k for a car with the **** take tax now being applied!

Just saying I'll consider my options as everything else is going up..fuel, insurance etc. I feel lucky I could get a very well spec'd S3 and it's a lot of money but not sure I'll spend that much on the next car.

Come the time I may suck it up if I can afford a £40k+ car again but has definitely made me sit up and consider where I want my hard earned money to go.

Totally agree. Road tax and usage of roads in the UK is extremely cheap. You could say we pay more in income taxes and so on than other countries but it just isn't the case. I don't want to get broiled in to an argument but people really don't realise that even the £450 a year is nothing! guaranteed iv paid that in toll charges around Europe this year. The more time i live abroad, the more i see people in the UK wanting things for a cheaper price or even free. Come live abroad and broaden your horizons. You will soon start missing the UK and how things work there.

I feel that the real reason of why the extra tax is controversial is that with PCP and finance deals nowadays being so accessible, £40k and above is no longer a price that well off people pay. Its easy to get an expensive car that was beforehand untouchable. Its all about low monthly figures and anything extra is just a no go. It used to be = oh i can afford a £40,000 car so an extra £450 a year is nothing. Now its, hmmm £350 a month is fine but that +£37 a month extra in tax is just too steep!

Last edited:
Reactions: AudiNutta, SILVAF0XX and Riko0073
What's 'bad' about it is that it's a so called luxury car tax. No problem paying tax where it applies to all or even on a sliding scale but this is just milking the peeps who already pay the most tax as it is. It'd be fairer if the extra tax was simply a percentage of the list price, not something that only comes in at 40k.

Reactions: Riko0073 and Ormesome
this is just milking the peeps who already pay the most tax as it is.

Probably not true due to the reasons i mentioned above and the accessibility of finance deals. Super simple to get a new S3 on your drive these days, UK average wage is now around £27,000 which is £5,000 bellow the higher "normal" tax rate, without taking in to account the 45% tax rate that is payable over £150k.

I do agree that it could be considered as a luxury car tax. Personally, i think, especially with the dieselgate thing going on, the extra % paid over the 1st 5yrs should be should still be linked to emissions

Check your tax tables, after tax free allowance plus 20pc rate it's around 45k before you hit 40pc rate. But anyway, IMO while it's true that more folks can 'afford' an expensive car on PCP the majority still buy less expensive cars. Mr. Average still buys a focus or golf or even a A3 but the number of expensive A3's ie S3's on the road is small in the overall scheme of things. And don't get hung up on optioned up S3's, obviously this tax applies to many more significantly more expensive cars which Mr. Average wouldn't go near even in a PCP!

Reactions: Ormesome
Check your tax tables, after tax free allowance plus 20pc rate it's around 45k before you hit 40pc rate.

Yeah your right. Sorry was looking at the wrong table! think it was from a yr ago or something. Don't live in the UK so don't keep up to date. I was just talking about salary vs monthly payments vs affordability. After looking over the tax rates it seems the gist of what i was saying is correct,althought the figures weren't! The average wage in the UK, which is £27k falls under the 20% tax rate, which is £11k to £45k. There are 2 rates above this, 40% & 45%.

Am having an issue with my stealer about this matter at the moment. No mention of it was made during ordering despite me asking repeatedly during the whole process, so, subsequently I thought it would be under the threshold. As the co2 is 149g/km I paid the £200 first year along with the £55 first reg fee.

New S3 arrived and was registered the end of last month. Just received my V5, telling me I would be paying additional VED. Slightly confused as a basic Ara Blue S-Tronic Sportback is 39k? Having rung the DVLA to query, they said they got their info "from the manufacturers" and that I better take it up with them!! The extras did admittedly take the car well over 40k, but how do the DVLA know what extras that I have had, as my dealer swears blind (hard to believe!!) that it hasn't submitted any more info to the DVLA, other than the 1st registration. DVLA clerk was very evasive and no help whatsoever.

Not sure where these figures are coming from? No issue with paying additional VED if it's due, just not sure how they got to it!!!

Am having an issue with my stealer about this matter at the moment. No mention of it was made during ordering despite me asking repeatedly during the whole process, so, subsequently I thought it would be under the threshold. As the co2 is 149g/km I paid the £200 first year along with the £55 first reg fee.

New S3 arrived and was registered the end of last month. Just received my V5, telling me I would be paying additional VED. Slightly confused as a basic Ara Blue S-Tronic Sportback is 39k? Having rung the DVLA to query, they said they got their info "from the manufacturers" and that I better take it up with them!! The extras did admittedly take the car well over 40k, but how do the DVLA know what extras that I have had, as my dealer swears blind (hard to believe!!) that it hasn't submitted any more info to the DVLA, other than the 1st registration. DVLA clerk was very evasive and no help whatsoever.

Not sure where these figures are coming from? No issue with paying additional VED if it's due, just not sure how they got to it!!!

Not actually sure what a dealer actually submits to DVLA for a registration but wonder if there's a 'Manufacturers List Price' somewhere there which they have to enter?

The whole extra £310 is something to consider and a bit of a sting but at 85p extra per day it's nothing compared to owning the car you want. Know you have no issues in paying the extra VED.

It is your final price paid, not the "normal/average" price paid for your model. A quick google search confirms this. You admit your options put you over the £40k threshold which is exactly what has happened. This is simply another story of a person spending £40k but cant spend 2 seconds researching......:blink:

Took me 2seconds to find this explanation:

"Bear in mind, too, that it's the final list price of your car which determines that £40,000 threshold – if you buy a cheaper model, but add options that take the price over that point, you'll still have to pay the Premium fee. In short, an option costing a few hundred pounds could end up costing you more than £1500 over five years in extra car tax costs.

Even if you negotiate a discount with the dealer that drops the price of the car back under £40,000, you'll have to pay the fee, because the listed price will still be more than £40,000. The list price is the price of the car before the 'on-the-road' charges are added, such as a delivery charge, new vehicle registration fee, numberplates and fuel"

https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/ved-car-tax-changes-in-2017-what-do-i-need-to-know/

Last edited:
Reactions: Djs3saloon
Yeah, I can assure I took a lot longer than 2 seconds researching it!!

Having looked at it in detail beforehand (!!) I am well aware that extras count towards the "final price", but as I said in my post, where have the DVLA got my "final price" and subsequently the additional VED from when:-

a) The stealer says they haven't told them, again, well aware this may be a complete lie!!

b) When I called the DVLA they said they haven't received a list of extras from the dealer regarding my car and just to take it up with "the manufacturer".

I was just querying if this had happened to anybody else and how they had got on

Yeah, I can assure I took a lot longer than 2 seconds researching it!!

Having looked at it in detail beforehand (!!) I am well aware that extras count towards the "final price", but as I said in my post, where have the DVLA got my "final price" and subsequently the additional VED from when:-

a) The stealer says they haven't told them, again, well aware this may be a complete lie!!

b) When I called the DVLA they said they haven't received a list of extras from the dealer regarding my car and just to take it up with "the manufacturer".

I was just querying if this had happened to anybody else and how they had got on

Cool. Just replying to the info you posted. It did sound like you were a bit misinformed in your 1st post as you did state that you thought it would be under the threshold but then stated that you were aware the extras put it over the £40k threshold. I would have thought that if you were informed then you would be aware that no matter how the info gets to the DVLA, you will be paying the extra Tax....

Anyway, no idea how it gets to to the DVLA. but im sure this kind of info is easily obtainable from a lot of sources, finance company, VIN number checks..etc... Would have thought it was from Audi themselves though. Mayeb there is a central service/website they input the details? a bit like the MOT procedure perhaps? Its a good question though. It must be automated, they surely cant input thousands of cars per year...

Reactions: Djs3saloon
Thanks for your reply. I have no issue paying the tax if its due, but would just like some clarification on the extras on my car from either Audi or the DVLA. As I said I found the DVLA clerk EXTREMELY unhelpful and not forthcoming with any proper info.

I am currently having a conversation with my dealer about this point and will let you know the outcome. As you say, more than likely will be automated. Either way, looks like next years road tax is £450!!!

On my order/invoice it lists VED at £240 included in the price I paid but I know my saloon should be £500 for the first year.
I ordered before the changes and collect on Saturday, will I have to pay the difference or should I argue that it should all be included?

Yeah but you will probably trade it on and end up loosing thousands anyway so you may as well just pay the tax!

On my order/invoice it lists VED at £240 included in the price I paid but I know my saloon should be £500 for the first year.
I ordered before the changes and collect on Saturday, will I have to pay the difference or should I argue that it should all be included?

You will be subject to the £310 extra per year if your car was over 40k

You will be subject to the £310 extra per year if your car was over 40k

It was under 40k but the saloon is 151 g/km so is £500 for first year and then £140.
They have only included £240 which I guess is the old rate so will have to pay the difference?

What was the old rate for the first years tax? I guess you will just have to work out the difference in first years tax and then square it up with the dealer, as 2nd year onwards won't obviously be paid until next year

Just one thing to bear in mind, it doesn't matter what discount you've negotiated, its always the list price. That caught me out, admittedly I hadn't fully read the rule changes at the time!!!

That's odd because it should be either £200 or £500, as you say the saloon is over the 150 g/km so its £500. You will get 1st years tax included so I would keep quiet, if they don't query it!!