Facelift 2017 S3 Rear bumper full of mud am I missing something??

Potterswheel

S3 Compact Limo
Reaction score
I have recently removed the bumper off my 2017 S3 to fit rear parking sensors, when I did it was full of mud, am I missing something or is this normal??
Should I have an extension or cove behind the arch liners?
Rear pdc dirt inside bumper 3s

While I was removing the exhaust tips off my S3 saloon I noticed road gravel etc. in my rear valance. probably nothing to worry about?

Reactions: Leevr
Looks a little farmy mixture, straw with minor mud tbh, that's very minimal & not really much to worry about imho.

Absolutely normal - I have a 2014 A3 and it is part of my weekly washing regime to get the hose up there and wash the crud out. We live in the countryside and it is amazing how much mud collects in there! In comparison to a week's crud in my one, yours is pristine! I agree that it is a design fault that allows this crud to collect but fortunately the rear bumper is plastic so no possibility of any rusting taking place.

Thanks, for the reply. It looks like there is a mod to be had there when I eventually get it all back together!!!!!

Thanks, for the reply. It looks like there is a mod to be had there when I eventually get it all back together!!!!!
I'm trying to work out in the picture of your post.
Is there a plastic panel missing? I know the S3 doesn't have a tow bar as an option so was just wondering if your bumper is off an S line model?
My wife's Q3 has a removable panel to allow for a tow bar.

^^ Forget what I have just posted.. Just realized it's the exit for the exhausts^^:hopelessness:

Yes I have 4 of them !!!!!!!

Joking apart, there seems to be a big gap on both sides outside the exhaust where all sorts of rubbish - stones, dirt, grass, mud........ is just thrown up off the tyres and into the bumper where it just has dried out and stuck.
The bumper cover is made of plastic (Polypropylene I discovered the other day!) but the actual bumper bar is rusting away 3 years 16000 miles and it looks like this.........

Bumper rust 1s Bumper rust s
as its obviously throwing salt up and is is settling inside the bumper bar itself and rotting the bottom edge.
On a more positive note I have been able to clean the exhaust!

Off side exhaust clean s

Reactions: pburv
Yes I have 4 of them !!!!!!!

Joking apart, there seems to be a big gap on both sides outside the exhaust where all sorts of rubbish - stones, dirt, grass, mud........ is just thrown up off the tyres and into the bumper where it just has dried out and stuck.
The bumper cover is made of plastic (Polypropylene I discovered the other day!) but the actual bumper bar is rusting away 3 years 16000 miles and it looks like this.........

View attachment 214894 View attachment 214895
as its obviously throwing salt up and is is settling inside the bumper bar itself and rotting the bottom edge.
On a more positive note I have been able to clean the exhaust!

View attachment 214896
I never gave it much thought about the possibility of it rusting underneath. cause for concern to any future owner?
Whilst you are aware and have taken the effort to remove the bumper you should treat the bar. Stone chip protection.
On a lesser note you are aware? that you can remove the exhaust tips by tapping them from behind with a rubber mallet. They are only kept on by four spring tabs.:icon thumright:

I knew I had this somewhere, I had a recollection from when I changed the tips on the 8P, It definitely says they are a once only fit.

Attachments

• exhaust tip fitting ins.jpg
    exhaust tip fitting ins.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 90
It says they are a once only fit.

Sorry but I disagree as I removed mine for a good hand polish, oh err. Popped off easily with help from my mate nylon hammer with no damage caused.

20200505_152345Small.jpg

Polished up lovely :)

20200505_164117Small.jpg

Refitted easily with next to no effort, firm push then tap with the hammer. They haven't feel off yet!

20200505_163314Small.jpg

Sorry but I disagree as I removed mine for a good hand polish, oh err. Popped off easily with help from my mate nylon hammer with no damage caused.

20200505_152345Small.jpg

Polished up lovely :)

20200505_164117Small.jpg

Refitted easily with next to no effort, firm push then tap with the hammer. They haven't feel off yet!

20200505_163314Small.jpg
Yep 100% they come off. Took mine off for a clean the first year I had it. Just tap from the back with a rubber or leather hide mallet... simples...

Hey don't shoot the messenger !!!! it struck me as odd at the time and I'm afraid it's just stuck with me. I thought they may have done something so that if some thieving little rat bag stole them they would be no good to them but as usual I was probably reading the instructions after fitting so couldn't look inside.....
@Harvey what polish do you use as you have a lovely shine on your tip?????

Just to get this thread back on track so to speak, here are some images of the bumper bar

Rear bumper in paint s Rear bumper painted and back on car 2 s Rear bumper painted and back on car s

Hey don't shoot the messenger !!!! it struck me as odd at the time and I'm afraid it's just stuck with me. I thought they may have done something so that if some thieving little rat bag stole them they would be no good to them but as usual I was probably reading the instructions after fitting so couldn't look inside.....
@Harvey what polish do you use as you have a lovely shine on your tip?????
I agree if you know how they come off then yes I reckon 'scumbags' could steal them.
But they do take a little effort to get off and certainly can't be done silently??
As for choice of polish you can't go wrong with this
Autosol Chrome Polish Metal & Aluminium Cleaner, 75ml/100gm: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike.:thumbs up:

I use solvol Autosol as well but yours looked soo good and had a blue tinge to them guess mine are just to far gone.

@Harvey I noticed when reading your diary the other day that you had fitted 'aftermarket' mud flaps to both your front and rear arch liners, does this do a good job of keeping the rubbish out of your rear bumper long term??