Facelift 2017 S3 full throttle acceleration lag in Sports mode (with video link)

jeweltone

Reaction score
This is my first time posting and would like to get feedback if others are getting same full throttle acceleration lag that I've experienced (in sports mode but not launch control mode). I bought 2017 S3 for a few months now and the engine is broken-in and started to drive more spiritedly. I've noticed that from stop with full throttle acceleration there is a lurch before car really takes off.

So I took a video of the tachometer and G-force view of Audi S3 in Sports Mode with full throttle acceleration from stop. It looks like the clutch is slipping from 1000-2500rpm during initial acceleration but it is engaged since the acceleration goes to about 0.2g. Then when the clutch fully engages the rpm drops down to 1600 before re-accelerating again to redline. Is this the launch "lag" that some of the forum discussion referred to?

Below is the video link and sorry for the shaking camera work.

I know full throttle acceleration with paddles or using the launch control mode would get rid of this lurch but sometimes I just want to accelerate from stoplight without using paddles or launch control. I'm just surprised that S3 would not have optimized clutch engagement algorithm for smooth full throttle acceleration in sports mode.

jeweltone

I don't have that issue with mine, so I'd suggest taking it to the dealer mate and get them to have a look at it. Mine just pulls like a train...

Reactions: fence
Another forum suggested that I turned off the traction control. When I tried, the full throttle rpm dipping went away and the acceleration was smooth with no lurch. I then turned the traction control back on and now even with traction control the car is accelerating smoothly with no issues. At first I thought it may be DSG clutch slipping which would be very depressing on a brand new car. Now looks like it's a traction control bug of which I still not sure what caused it. I live in the CA and weather is 55F/12C now so should not be the outside temperature. I've booked an appointment with the dealer a few weeks out and so will temporary keep the appointment and make sure the issue doesn't come back. Appreciate the feedback!

Reactions: Mark_86
Another forum suggested that I turned off the traction control. When I tried, the full throttle rpm dipping went away and the acceleration was smooth with no lurch. I then turned the traction control back on and now even with traction control the car is accelerating smoothly with no issues. At first I thought it may be DSG clutch slipping which would be very depressing on a brand new car. Now looks like it's a traction control bug of which I still not sure what caused it. I live in the CA and weather is 55F/12C now so should not be the outside temperature. I've booked an appointment with the dealer a few weeks out and so will temporary keep the appointment and make sure the issue doesn't come back. Appreciate the feedback!

Let us know how you get on mate.

Just to summarize the previous problem I posted. In my 2017 S3, I would accelerate in first gear with gas pedal fully compressed from complete stop. The S3 will start accelerating and the tachometer swing to around 2200rpm and then all of a sudden the rpm would drop down to 1500 before starting to accelerate again. During this rpm drop, the car does a lurch before the car really takes off. The rpm drop happens in both Drive or Sports mode. As with the forum suggestion, with ECS off, the car would no longer lurch and has no rpm drop with very smooth acceleration. I also tested the Launch Control and no issue with lurch.

I brought the car to dealer and took technician for test drive and was able to consistently repeat the same lurch problem (happens about 80% of time). However, the dealer was unable to find errors in the computer and told me they tested 3 other 2017 S3 and they all have the same rpm drop and lurch. They asked me to contact Audi corporate and report this issue. I emailed the Audi Corporate and they are completely useless and responded that they rely on their dealership for technical resources and I should take back to dealer again.

Since I don't fully trust the dealer and Audi corporate is useless, I decided to do my own test driving. I test drove a used 2016 S3 and there were zero issue with acceleration rpm drop. Then, I test drove new 2018 S3 and it has the same rpm drop and lurch as my 2017 but happens about 50% of time. Although very limited data size, it looks like the rpm drop issue happens to 2017 and 2018 models. I would love to have others test their 2017 and 2018 S3 and report back in forum if they experience same issue or not. If there are more S3 that have this same issue, then Audi is more likely to look for a solution.

Here are 4 videos that I posted on the rpm drop on normal full throttle (both normal and slow motion) and no rpm drop with ECS off.
2017 Audi S3 rpm drop (full throttle):

Slowmo 2017 Audi S3 rpm drop (full throttle)

2017 Audi S3 no rpm drop (full throttle and ECS off)

Slowmo 2017 Audi S3 no rpm drop (full throttle and ECS off)

Ill try this and report back but tbh i think its ecs related since i got the car 2017 s3 it cuts power often when driving normally and spirited so much so I set it to sport before i drive it.
My 2016 golf r had none of the issues

Marky-s3, look forward to your test results. I believe it's ECS related too since in "ECS: Sport" mode the lurch goes away. Maybe the ECS traction control is too sensitive and the firmware programming shuts down power for a split second when it senses slight traction loss. Also, I didn't use the proper ECS mode definition previously from owner manual - I was in ESC Sport mode and not off during my test.

It sounds like you have experienced similar lurch issue and get around it by always drive in "ECS: Sport" mode. That's great feedback but I'm a little worried to always drive in "ECS: Sport" mode. Do you press the ECS button when you start the car or is there VCDS setting that always put it in "ECS: Sport" mode? Thanks.

Last edited:
I tried twice and didn't get the lag either time. All I did was put the car into Dynamic then pulled the gear lever back again to come out of sport (as I think this is how you had your test setup). My S3 was one of the first FL 8V S3s in the country. Hope that helps?

Hi still not been out in car yet i just press and let go so its in sport every time i start it up usually followed by start stop and cycling threw to individual or dynamic.

Good and bad news did about 14 launches tonight.
I was under impression you had issues at the top ov the rev range not bottom donkey that i am noticed after watching your video again tonight.
Did around 7 with lc and 7 normal pulling away in dynamic with esc on and off and other modes
As i was looking for the top of the rev range i was happy i wasn't getting it but did notice it Boggs down with traction control on which looks like your issue tbh it bogs down then picks up again
Why it boggs down i dont know ill try tomorrow n grab a video

Marky-s3, look forward to your video and see if it's behaves similar to my S3. The issue is occurring at around 2500rpm in my S3 but when I test drove 2018 S3 it occured at 3000rpm. Also, the 2018 lurch was less pronounced than my car so it may be my S3 has traction control or it's calibration is a lot more sensitive. The lurch is very noticeable in my S3 and so just surprised not more S3 owners have experienced similar lurch but it could just be worse in my car.

Here is 3 videos i have your problem but notice my traction light like i was saying it does my head in and i always drive in esc sport

Thanks for sharing the video. Your S3 has the rpm drop at around 2200rpm and then only drops about 200rpm before accelerating again. It is more subtle than my S3 which has about 700rpm and so expect the lurch to be much more pronounced on mine. I'll take it back to dealer to see if they will work with Audi corporate to adjust the traction control sensitivity. Will keep everyone posted.

Reactions: Marky-s3
I've just bought a 2018 S3 and have the same issue, did you get any further with Audi Corporate?