2017 B9 S4 oil type

oliquattro

Reaction score
Hello,

2017 S4 Avant B9....I’m assuming 0W-30 is the correct oil?

The car was delivered new with a bottle of 0W-30 in the boot, just want to double check it’s the right one?

Done 5000 miles so far and the oil level is at 50%.

Thanks in advance.

Cold to warm up economy more like as it will aways start !

0W20 508.00 is thinly available and expensive.

Audi have changed to 0w-20 on the S4 and that's
what the dealer advised I used. It's been covered in other threads, which say it's due to improved cold start performance.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/best-oil-for-b9-s4.337820/
Gee, its hard when people can't continue a tread, particularly when it is fairly recent, and all the more when there appears to be a contradiction.
On the other main thread, 'DeanoC ' said in Aug '17 " Audi changed from 5w-30 castol edge to shell helix 0w-30 avl a while ago now. Better on start up".
So has Audi changed its recommendation again since then?
Seeing it's so expensive, better get it right.

It's a shame audi can't just print the oil spec in the manual like every other car I've owned...much easier!

My dealer said 0w-20 (508.00) but they don't seem very consistent.

Wow 0W-20 is a very thin oil - almost a "flushing oil" profile. I can only assume that this is to squeeze every micro-mile from MPG tests and to counteract "stop/start" systems causing momentary oil starvation. Very high performance engines generally require a higher 2nd viscosity number such a the ultimate F1 oil thought to be something like 0W-60. :shrug:

It's a shame audi can't just print the oil spec in the manual like every other car I've owned...much easier!

You mean like this!!

Upload 2018 4 22 17 42 33

From the manual

For any Aussies reading, my stealer advised there has been no change from "a fully synthetic 5w30".
As our continent is the world's largest island (24 x UK), the inland gets mighty c-o-l-d.

Thanks guys seems there’s lots of confusion.

For clarification I spoke to two Audi dealers. For the S4 in the U.K., they recommend Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30.

I gave my reg plate to double check and it came back again with 5W-30.

Reactions: Gazwould
The dealer also said they use 5W-30 across the whole range of engines.

Bit suspect but, whatever, that’s what UK Audi dealers are saying.

They just put a bottle of 0w-30 in the boot to confuse me. :)

Thanks guys seems there’s lots of confusion.

For clarification I spoke to two Audi dealers. For the S4 in the U.K., they recommend Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30.

I gave my reg plate to double check and it came back again with 5W-30.
But does that meet the 508.00 spec which is what the screenshot above says the S4 requires? Google suggests 508.00 is 0w-20.

I'm beginning to think it doesn't really matter if the dealer's can't even agree.

Reactions: oliquattro
Hey,

Yes the manual says one thing and the dealer says another. I’ve spoke to two different dealers and they both strangely said that they use 5W-30 for all their engines now. They sell 0w-30 as a top-up oil in the dealership but it’s not necessarily the proper oil for your car.

Yes it’s all confusing. I’m not sure why the manual says that...maybe S4 falls under “all other petrol engines” I don’t know.

I’ve topped up with 5W-30 Shell Helix and car seems to be happy.

I've noticed we see this confusion a lot with VAG cars. I think manufacturers agree high level marketing decisions with various oil companies (which can vary from country to country) which then gets overlaid with a second layer of confusion relating to their technical departments trying to squeeze MPG figures ever upwards on new cars which in turn may or may not get applied retrospectively to older cars. :smile new:

Had a quick word with the dealership workshop manager this morning regarding what spec oil and quantity would I require when the first service is due. After getting my vin via the registration number he entered it into the servicing computer and the results were VAG 508 0W - 20 and the quantity for the S4 V6 is 7.25 lts.