2016 S3 wheel hum

JordansS3

Reaction score
When going 70-80mph, I get a LOUD humming/whirling sound. Seems to be coming from fr wheel, my guess is bearing. Loudest at exactly 75mph. Once past 80 it goes away. Anybody else have this issue?
Makes the sound in every mode. It’s so loud it’s causing serious concern and I do everything I can to not hit 75mph

Does it get worse when you turn a specific direction? That would point to a wheel bearing.
other things to check is there’s no deformation on the tyre itself. I’ve had in the past after hitting pothole it caused part of the tyre to bulge and at speed made a whirring type noise.

Reactions: JordansS3
Does it get worse when you turn a specific direction? That would point to a wheel bearing.
other things to check is there’s no deformation on the tyre itself. I’ve had in the past after hitting pothole it caused part of the tyre to bulge and at speed made a whirring type noise.
When I turn, it does not get better or worse. I’ll have to take the wheels off this weekend .

Reactions: AlS3BE
I have this noise. My noisy speed is 55-60mph. It's totally silent at all other speeds. Audi said it was my tyres so spent £450 on 4 new tyres and it didn't help.

Swerving around corners in different directions doesn't change my noise either.

I really should deal with it, it's been a couple of months now.

My car is not an S3 though, only s-line. If you get it sorted/diagnosed then update this topic and I will do the same.

I have this noise. My noisy speed is 55-60mph. It's totally silent at all other speeds. Audi said it was my tyres so spent £450 on 4 new tyres and it didn't help.

My car is not an S3 though, only s-line. If you get it sorted/diagnosed then update this topic and I will do the same.
Ok I will be able to get it looked at this weekend and tell you what I find out

Reactions: AudiA3B
Ok I will be able to get it looked at this weekend and tell you what I find out
Ok got new wheels, running rotiforms now and the noise is STILL there. Couldn’t figure out where it was coming from :(

Reactions: AudiA3B
I got myself some chassis ears so will hook all the leads up to the 4 corners and maybe hook up the gearbox too to investigate where this noise is coming from and will update back here.

Sweet, thanks and good luck
I got myself some chassis ears so will hook all the leads up to the 4 corners and maybe hook up the gearbox too to investigate where this noise is coming from and will update back here.

Chassis ears?

Never heard of them & had to google - every day is a leaning day. Seems like a good concept and would probably save loads of time diagnosing problems - assuming they aren’t use once and put in a box for years. More of a garage tool?

Last edited:
Ok got new wheels, running rotiforms now and the noise is STILL there. Couldn’t figure out where it was coming from :(

of it’s not wheels and tyres then you’ve got a few hangs to check
Wheel bearings
Rear diffs( there’s been a few cases of rear diffs with no oil in them)
Front diffs
Haldex
Gearbox. Dsg needs services every 38k and manuals are like 60ks or as Audi puts it sealed for life bs.

Reactions: JordansS3 and JFS
Wheel bearings
Front diffs
Haldex
Gearbox. Dsg needs services every 38k and manuals are like 60ks or as Audi puts it sealed for life bs.

^ This

Wheel bearings
Front diffs
Haldex
I’m still thinking it’s wheel bearing but I’ll check all those this weekend. You would think if it’s a diff then it would make the noise all throughout not just at 70/75 mph. The car has 55,000 miles and been serviced ritually by previous owner so I hope it’s not hsldex or dsg related

When going 70-80mph, I get a LOUD humming/whirling sound. Seems to be coming from fr wheel, my guess is bearing. Loudest at exactly 75mph. Once past 80 it goes away. Anybody else have this issue?
Makes the sound in every mode. It’s so loud it’s causing serious concern and I do everything I can to not hit 75mph
It will be bearing.. I had it... It occurred at 70 mph and at above speed was fading away.. Back to 70mph again and lower than 70mph quieter and quieter...

Last edited:

Oh no not knowledged Mechanics exactly at audi they told me it will be your tyres.. Then some third party repair garage too not trusty guy said crap tires just because they didn't see some expensive brands Michelin or continental so budget tyres so it must be tyres.. And my tyres were brand new ‍

Chassis ears?

Never heard of them & had to google - every day is a leaning day. Seems like a good concept and would probably save loads of time diagnosing problems - assuming they aren’t use once and put in a box for years. More of a garage tool
Yeaah I was actually watching one video guy was like Doctor :D listening bearing noise