2016 RS3 faulty Catalytic converter

Tusken

Reaction score
Hey guys my car have been diagnosed with a catalytic problem and the dealer needs to change it through motorplan. However the part os going to take a couple of days to arrive. The dealer has advised that i can stil drive this car. Question is m i not risking ti damage anything in the engine since the cat has issues? Obviously the engine fumes r not being released smoothly thru the cat if its clogged. I do get ocassional situations wher the car staggers/lose performance n worried about using it lik that. Any advises?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Hey guys my car have been diagnosed with a catalytic problem and the dealer needs to change it through motorplan. However the part os going to take a couple of days to arrive. The dealer has advised that i can stil drive this car. Question is m i not risking ti damage anything in the engine since the cat has issues? Obviously the engine fumes r not being released smoothly thru the cat if its clogged. I do get ocassional situations wher the car staggers/lose performance n worried about using it lik that. Any advises?

What codes came up on the dash? P0420? Catalyst below threshold ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep thats the one. See scan attached that i did using obdeleven. Before takin it to the dealer. This has occured 3 times now. The dealer replaced the oxygen sensor at first but stil it came back until now thy settling for a new cat. Also another instance i have noted, when you accelerate the car hard from standstill (launching) or overtaking it sometimes jave this funny rapidly-tapping noise from the engine (like the sound of the light metal tapping against something)...the sound is very rare comes and goes but onluly 8nder hard acceleration when turbo is at full boost n between 1st and 3rd gear. Pliz share advises aswell on that as the car is about to exit the motorplan n i want all this addressed. Sorry for a long thread guys
0ab2379660b017762b31de8f2aecda7f.jpg

Reactions: Jonessy95
Yep thats the one. See scan attached that i did using obdeleven. Before takin it to the dealer. This has occured 3 times now. The dealer replaced the oxygen sensor at first but stil it came back until now thy settling for a new cat. Also another instance i have noted, when you accelerate the car hard from standstill (launching) or overtaking it sometimes jave this funny rapidly-tapping noise from the engine (like the sound of the light metal tapping against something)...the sound is very rare comes and goes but onluly 8nder hard acceleration when turbo is at full boost n between 1st and 3rd gear. Pliz share advises aswell on that as the car is about to exit the motorplan n i want all this addressed. Sorry for a long thread guys
0ab2379660b017762b31de8f2aecda7f.jpg

I’ve had the same code for about a year , after clearing the light it will come back on , av also had misfire problems and my engine light flashes on cold start , av had it mapped now so they mapped it out but it was a mystery why the light even came on when it shouldn’t of have , I even had a secondary cat delete which they shouldn’t of even caused it to come on, be interesting to see what yours is

Yeah m waiting to hav the cat replaced to see if it will sort the issue. My engine check light is very intermittent say 3 times in 4 days. The car will seem to loose power under acceleration with sum funny jerky movements which last a few seconds. No check light from cold start only after the car has warmedup. Wil see how the cat replacement goes

Yeah m waiting to hav the cat replaced to see if it will sort the issue. My engine check light is very intermittent say 3 times in 4 days. The car will seem to loose power under acceleration with sum funny jerky movements which last a few seconds. No check light from cold start only after the car has warmedup. Wil see how the cat replacement goes

Strange that! Let me know when they have changed it , see if it doesn’t anything , I also changed my oxygen sensors too I only changed 1 tho and it didn’t do anything

The oxygen sensor was the first thing thy changed on mine too. Hardly a month ago

The oxygen sensor was the first thing thy changed on mine too. Hardly a month ago

They change 2 of them or just the 1?

Yeah thy changing the main Cat...wil continue to monitor thereafter

Yeah thy changing the main Cat...wil continue to monitor thereafter

What year and miles is your car on? Let me know what they say about it , mine might be same problem as yours

Its a 2016 RS3 currently hav about 82 000km

Will feedback...oh and on a other note have you tuned your car?say stage 2 or something...if so what power r u making and what mods did you bolt on?

Will feedback...oh and on a other note have you tuned your car?say stage 2 or something...if so what power r u making and what mods did you bolt on?

Am just stage 1 mrc at the moment , got 034 motorsport intake secondary cat delete , resonator delete and exhaust valve delete , I need to get a forge intercooler because even at stage 1 you get heat soak because the standard intercooler isn’t that good , stage 2 I would get just a miltek/scorpion downpipe decat and high fuel pressure pump , stage 2 would see 450-460 bhp

Nice setup...is the exhaust sound not too loud wit that setup? Any idea how much power the car makes now? Please send me a link where i can buy the 034motorsport intake

Nice setup...is the exhaust sound not too loud wit that setup? Any idea how much power the car makes now? Please send me a link where i can buy the 034motorsport intake

Yeah it’s loud all the time because of the exhaust valve delete and you can buy them off awesome gti

Reactions: Tusken
Cool...will check it out

Have you had your cat changed yet?

Have you had your cat changed yet?

Not yet, its gonna take atleast e weeks to receive it since the dealer is getting it straight from Germany. I will update thread once i get it done...

Not yet, its gonna take atleast e weeks to receive it since the dealer is getting it straight from Germany. I will update thread once i get it done...

Takes a while and okay

Hey @Tusken, came across this thread as I have the same issue. Ideally didn’t want to fork out on a new cat. Same code and clearing it lasts around 3-4 days before coming back on. Also car runs runs perfectly fine ??? Did the new cat sort the problem ?
2016 with only 50k on the clock…