2016 B9 What engine

pred02

Reaction score
Hi,

I was originally looking at a 2nd hand A3, but am now looking at either a 1.4 TFSI or 2.0 TFSI A4 2016+ or higher vintage. The rationale is I feel like A4 comes with quite a few more features and with the family potentially underway in a few years its a better value upgrade.

I live in South London and would not use the car for commuting, but rather weekend trips and holiday journeys. Most recommend a petrol engine given my driving habits and ever-changing policies with ULEZ around London.

Is the 1.4 TFSI engine sufficient or recommend going for 2.0 TFSI? I found a 2.0 TFSI with colour I like and features the only thing it does not have feature wise is parking sensor, not sure if these can be activated afterwards?

https://www.stebbings.co.uk/used-audi-a4-kings-lynn-norfolk-2462919

I really like the colour and has a decent engine, mileage but just wanted to get people's thoughts.

Thanks

I didn’t know they can come without parking sensors? I thought that was standard.

IMO, 1.4 will be sufficient for motorway cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look closely you can see it has parking sensors

Reactions: Sibmets
I have the 2.0 tfsi very happy with engine

Attachments

• 7C860C6F-89A1-4952-B3C9-878F8D0CD593.jpeg
    7C860C6F-89A1-4952-B3C9-878F8D0CD593.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 161
I would go for the 2 litre, if you are mainly using it for trips and you load the car up with family stuff I reckon it would be much more comfortable and enjoyable to drive.

That looks like a nice car

Thanks. It has 38k what major services/replacement should I look for? Do people recommend getting the RAC/AA inspection or just rely on the car market? Also - it was a lease car, any issues with taht? Thanks

If it was a lease car the dealer should be able to print off the service history and just look for regular servicing and brake fluid changes. Its probably due an aircon refresh others may advise on gearbox oil change but I am not sure about the manual gearbox. I would see if you can get a warranty, even 3 months would give you a chance to see if there were any issues but at this mileage you should be ok.
AA inspection maybe worthwhile but the garage looks reputable Its really down to how confident you feel.

Thanks. It has 38k what major services/replacement should I look for? Do people recommend getting the RAC/AA inspection or just rely on the car market? Also - it was a lease car, any issues with taht? Thanks
2.0l definitely yes get a print out of all servicing, but you can check that out, and any additional work, through the myaudi website. I would try and negotiate a warranty, servicing and mot's thrown in for two years...
If you can get a photo of the options sticker you can find the options here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw0IfGVscWhNMyDAzLKYWEZ5

Last edited:
I have had the 1.4 TFSI Avant version of this car for 4 years now. The Engine is fine, the 2.0 would be more fun. My gripe remains with the seats, they’re not getting anymore comfortable with age. Check for a lumbar support, leather is definitely a better option. I’d prioritise this over engine choice to be honest.

2.0 is night and day compared to 1.4. Even Audi have ditched it for the torquier 150bhp 2.0 which is fine, and again very different to the 150bhp from the 1.4. I see this one is 2.0 190ps and a manual 'box. This superb combo is no longer avaiable and I'd say a mistake by Audi. IMHO avoiding the s-tronic is a real winner. Lots to read on here about that issue.

As for the seats I love mine in a 2017 Sport. Cloth trim and no lumbar adjustment, just very comfy. But as you can see above, very personal! I had 4 way lumbar in my last Audi and never seemed to be as comfy as in these. The only downside of the cloth is that it is much harder to keep clean than leather but it's cool in the summer and cosy warm in the winter!

As for lease it shouldn't be a worry. Mine is leased and has been very well cared for (by me!). FSH is almost guaranteed. The only issue is that it is basic spec but mine's basic spec and apart form the s-tronic it's lovely. I won't remind you what it hasn't got and you won't miss it:friendly wink:

Thanks all for your feedback. It would be nice to get the virtual cockpit and leather, but I don't think I can in my budget.

Just so I am not missing a trick, should I be considered the 2.0 TDI engine? Its ULEZ compliant, and i get lower car tax and parking fees not sure about the DPN filter and the changing requirements especially since I am South London based.

If you are doing much less than 16 000 - 18 000 it isn't worth it. I'm fairly marginal at 16 000, mostly on fast A roads. Less than that and stuck in slow traffic would not be good for the engine or the DPF

Using a car for holiday trips and longer weekend journeys, not city commuting, would be fine for a diesel. That's largely how I use mine.
The main consideration with a diesel is not so much total annual mileage, more the type of use. They are better for longer trips; for short distances where they take longer to warm up, then petrol is much better. If you're using it like that the DPF will be good for way longer than you'd keep the car.
If you're buying second hand then the difference in purchase price is usually not so much, and certainly in the past I have found there is usually greater choice in diesel the larger the vehicle is.

By the way I find the stronic a perfect match for the 2.0ltfsi 109ps. It definitely seems to suffer less from the issues a 2.0l diesel has with a similar gearbox as the petrol version has a newer incarnation...

I have the 2.0 in 252BHP tune. My previous cars have been a supercharged V6 and a turbocharged straight six and the performance is down on both of those but I don’t feel short changed. It’s a very good engine with great (for the performance) fuel economy.

Engine wise you won't go wrong with either the 2.0 petrol or diesel in my opinion. Certainly been happy with my 2 TDIs with S tronic, both been very smooth and no engine noise to speak of at all and great economy. Pre-lockdown long term average was around 54mpg.

One thing I would mention though is the one in your link looks a bit high so I'm guessing it doesn't have the sports suspension?
For me any premium saloon car just doesn't look right if there's too much arch gap.

S tronic is an automatic transmission? I plan on getting a manual transmission if possible. I see that there are 2 TDI engines - 150 and 190 bhps. I suspect I should be looking for the 190 engine? I see that most used TDI come with a SE trim which I would like to avoid due to the lesser audio, led interior lighting and some other option

The grey 2.0 TFSi is a Sport trim - not sure how tuned it is, I plan on using it mostly for cruising less sport driving.

Go for the 2.0 TDI (190 PS) if you can, as you get higher torque and better fuel economy versus the 2.0 TFSI 190 PS. I actually bought the 2.0 TFSI 190 PS in 2018 and badly regretted it...I foolishly bought it without taking it for a test drive lol. Anyway I didn't lose too much when selling it and instead bought the A6 C8 40 TDI Quattro (2.0 TDI 204 PS) earlier this year and couldn't be happier with the engine.

Having said all this, I was given a 2020 A4 35 TFSI last week as a courtesy car by Highland Audi and was impressed by its power. Far better than I was expecting....but its still petrol :(

Be cautious with a diesel, rightly or wrongly a lot of cities are considering banning them, Bath is an example.

Be cautious with a diesel, rightly or wrongly a lot of cities are considering banning them, Bath is an example.
Then they should also consider banning petrol vehicles as well. The latest EUR6D Audi diesel engines are no better or worse than their equivalent EUR6D petrol versions for CO2 emissions - at least for the 2.0L 190 PS variant. From Audi's configurator for a 2020 A4 Avant in S-Line trim:

40 TFSI 190 PS:

40 TDI Quattro 190 PS:

I suspect what might happen is cities banning all diesels except the very latest/cleanest diesels (EUR6D), rather than a blanket diesel ban.

Last edited:
To quote
Bristol City Council APPROVES plans to ban all diesel cars from the city centre - and more cities could follow
  • City council voted in favour of banning all diesel cars from 7am to 3pm daily
  • Ban impacts all privately-owned diesel cars, both old and newer green models
  • There will also be a clean air zone charging commercial vehicles to enter Bristol
  • The proposal is now expected to get the green light from the UK government and be implemented from March 2021

In the example above the only reason they are close is because the 40 TDI is now only Quattro whereas the 40 TFSI is FWD as standard. If you compare a previous 2019 FWD 40 TDI then the CO2 is way lower for the TDI at around 120.

But the issue is NOx where petrol is generally lower than diesel, and in cities this affects air quality more.

If banning diesel cars in cities is justified then what about buses, taxis, vans, lorries, ambulances, fire engines, etc...

I have the 2 litre tfsi engine and I absolutely love it. I had a diesel in SE trim with a manual gearbox as a courtesy car for about a week and it was ****** awful! The gear change was notchy, the seats looked cheap and nasty and being diesel it was noisier than my car. You won’t go wrong with the 2.0 litre tfsi, but I would go for s tronic. Opinions differ, but I find the semi-auto box brilliant and, touch wood, I’ve had no issues in 25,000 miles

In the example above the only reason they are close is because the 40 TDI is now only Quattro whereas the 40 TFSI is FWD as standard. If you compare a previous 2019 FWD 40 TDI then the CO2 is way lower for the TDI at around 120.

But the issue is NOx where petrol is generally lower than diesel, and in cities this affects air quality more.

If banning diesel cars in cities is justified then what about buses, taxis, vans, lorries, ambulances, fire engines, etc...
Yeah Quattro models will have higher CO2 values but only slightly higher than non-Quattro models.
For example a A6 Black Edition 40 TDI Quattro has a Co2 value of around 164 whilst the 40 TDI is around 156.

The CO2 values shown prior to April 2020 will be NEDC based, hence will be a lot lower than the current WLTP standard. When I bought my A6 Avant 40 TDI Quattro in Feb 2020, it came with a CO2 value of 123 so only paid £200 or so for first year's road tax. Had the car been registered on/after April 2020, it would have a CO2 of 164, which would mean first years road tax of nearly £900!! Pheeeeew... :)

under the current WLTP, CO2 for the same model is now 164!!

@psychopomp1 Oh yeah I'd forgotten about WLTP! That explains the big difference then.

But I think the real reason people are encouraged to have petrol instead is because petrol engines emit a little less NOx which is linked to respiratory conditions in cities. However, if you live out of a city then this makes no difference as traffic density is much lower.