2015 Audi S3 Electrical ticking noise help

Majona

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

My 2015 S3 8V has developed a ticking noise, if anyone could help diagnose the problem I would be very grateful. It occurs as soon as the ignition is on (not the engine) which leads me to believe it is an electrical fault. Once the engine is on then the noise will persist throughout the journey until the car is turned off. It isn't affected by revs etc. It's quite audible sat in the drivers seat and sounds as if it is coming from behind the wiper mounts rather than the engine bay?

I've recently had the battery checked and it's in good condition but needed a charge as the car was sat over Christmas which I have done with a trickle charger.

I've scanned it with Carista and found two faults in the central electronics: Error code 266766 and 267032. (Been advised the 267032 is to do with alarm system.)

Went out to the car this morning to go to work and the noise is there without unlocking the car or anything. Think I may have to ring audi on this one.

Could be the fan or AC compressor? Does it vary with fan speed or AC settings?

S3s also have the Soundaktor thing which lives on the firewall below the windscreen wipers (I believe) and makes a fake noise to make the car sound more sporty inside. Maybe that's gone faulty?

sounds like a relay of some sort that’s clicking away. I would try pulling fuses or relays and see which one stops it. Could be something simple like water has got into the fuse box or a relay and shorting it out.

Reactions: Leevr and KieranJ22
Pull fuses & relays until it stops, then check that circuit to see what's controlled.