2015 A3 8V MMI Upgrade from Non-Nav to Navigation

sanrivera

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2015 A3 8V with the non-nav MMI unit. I am looking to upgrade to the navigation verson.

The unit I am considering purchasing the main unit, navigation control unit with touch pad, high resolution display and GPS antenna.

Can someone help??

1) Does anyone have any experience upgrading the A3 8V? Can you please help with the steps and installation process?
2) Do I need to visit the dealer to re-program?
3) Do I need any additional parts?
4) Can Audi Connect be used?
5) Can I eventually add a backup camera?

Please excuse my newness to the forum!

You mean tech pack?

In the UK, the GPS antenna is there already, all you need is the SD card and licence to activate the standard nav. If you want to add the tech pack contents as well (touch pad, high res screen etc), you are looking at thousands of pounds in new parts. For adding Connect, even more.

You can add a backup camera easily enough anyway without the nav stuff.

Thanks for the reply, Cemerson.

I am in the US.

Please see this link, which is what I'm thinking about buying: Audi A3 S3 8V SAT Nav MMI High Navigation Multimedia Complete Set New | eBay
I believe that this is what you would call the teck pack version of my system. I have the exact same unit, except it does not have navigation, no DVD, is low res, and does not have a touch pad.

If all I need is the SD card and license, how can I get these items?

Regarding the backup camera, do you have any suggestions? Can the camera be seen on my MMI LCD screen?

Thanks so much!

If you have the screen already, I'm reasonably sure that the reversing camera would just be a single add on to it, without the need for anything else.

If you are US, I don't know what the situation is - it may be more complicated. In the UK, all the hardware for the nav is in every car as standard, it's just that you get the actual sat nav activated when you buy the SD based nav option. For the tech pack, it's an HD based version.

That ebay auction does look to have everything you'd need to emulate the 'tech pack' we have here (although I'm no expert - please don't take my word for it!) There is no SIM slot so probably not Connect, but I think Connect works differently in the US anyway? Is it that you don't use SIM cards but the units arrive already subscribed to a network or something? Could be wrong though. If it were the case, you'd still likely need a different MMI unit (the bit in the glove box) for connect.

Thanks again, Cemerson.

My MMI unit actually does have a SIM slot. So, again, based on your comments, I may be able to activate navigation and Connect...

If anyone has any experience activating the nav, it would be greatly appreciated!! What do I need to do?

Please - advice welcome!!

Take it to your dealer. Probably charge 500 bucks.

Take it to your dealer. Probably charge 500 bucks.

It's probably something only a dealer can do, because if the demonstration I was given at my dealers yesterday evening is anything to go by, these sort of things can now only be activated by the dealer connecting their computers to your car and using the internet to connect to Audi in Germany who's systems will activate it. It does seem that this sort of thing can no longer be done using VCDS for example.

It's probably something only a dealer can do, because if the demonstration I was given at my dealers yesterday evening is anything to go by, these sort of things can now only be activated by the dealer connecting their computers to your car and using the internet to connect to Audi in Germany who's systems will activate it. It does seem that this sort of thing can no longer be done using VCDS for example.

Does anyone have any experience getting this done in the US???