2014 S4 Glacier White on Magma Red - ThatOneDude's B8.5 Thread

Hey everyone what's up. Haven't posted here for a bit but I'm still out there, roaming the streets with a flawless GWP S4.

Got my wheels professionally powdercoated Audi Hyper Silver (same as RS5 wheels).

Remember, I was dead set on going glacier white to match paint but I found the process to be very difficult and complicated and few places would do it. Those that would do it did not give me the confidence I desired to take the plunge. Ultimately, I decided to go factory Audi Hyper Silver with a full gloss protective coating. VERY happy with the result. It looks spectacular imo. Matches the supercharged badge to perfection and they look brand new.

What do you guys think?

Audi Powdercoated Wheels 1

Audi Powdercoated Wheels 2

Audi Powdercoated Wheels 3

Reactions: Carlos85, ChivsBang, Bristle Hound and 2 others
Looks good. I think a white lip on the surround of the rotors might look good to set it off a bit more.

Hey everyone what's up. Haven't posted here for a bit but I'm still out there, roaming the streets with a flawless GWP S4.

Got my wheels professionally powdercoated Audi Hyper Silver (same as RS5 wheels).

Remember, I was dead set on going glacier white to match paint but I found the process to be very difficult and complicated and few places would do it. Those that would do it did not give me the confidence I desired to take the plunge. Ultimately, I decided to go factory Audi Hyper Silver with a full gloss protective coating. VERY happy with the result. It looks spectacular imo. Matches the supercharged badge to perfection and they look brand new.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 104682
View attachment 104683
View attachment 104684
@ThatOneDude - S4 looking fab buddy! :thumbs up:

The colour of the wheels really suits your car IMO

Reactions: ThatOneDude and ChivsBang
Ok so I finally got the gloss black lug nuts covers and gloss black center caps installed. I know it's a subtle difference but since I have the Audi black optics package I think it looks perfect. Also just fitted brand new Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position rubber. Set me back almost a thousand smackers. Also had them change out the rubber stems for metal stems and if you look super closely, you can see the black Audi emblem on the metal stem caps. Haha. What do you guys think?

Black Center Caps
Parking Garage

Reactions: Carlos85, Bristle Hound and xpoweruk
Ok so I finally got the gloss black lug nuts covers and gloss black center caps installed. I know it's a subtle difference but since I have the Audi black optics package I think it looks perfect. Also just fitted brand new Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position rubber. Set me back almost a thousand smackers. Also had them change out the rubber stems for metal stems and if you look super closely, you can see the black Audi emblem on the metal stem caps. Haha. What do you guys think?

View attachment 108111 View attachment 108112
Just be careful with the metal stem caps! I had them on a previous A4 and had to cut them off to check the tyre pressures as they had corroded or the two different metals reacted!

Reactions: ThatOneDude
Just be careful with the metal stem caps! I had them on a previous A4 and had to cut them off to check the tyre pressures as they had corroded or the two different metals reacted!

Hmm. Interesting, and thanks for sharing. I was talked into them at the tire shop but I didn't do any research. It sounded like a decent idea.

Anyone else have any warnings to share on the metal stems?

Hmm. Interesting, and thanks for sharing. I was talked into them at the tire shop but I didn't do any research. It sounded like a decent idea.

Anyone else have any warnings to share on the metal stems?
Might be worth just using plastic caps over the winter? Or it should not be an issue if you check pressures often. You could always spray the inside of the metal caps with wd40 or equivalent.

Might be worth just using plastic caps over the winter? Or it should not be an issue if you check pressures often. You could always spray the inside of the metal caps with wd40 or equivalent.

Oh! I see. I misread your comment. I thought you said you had an issue with the actual metal stems.

Ok so the metal stem caps screwed onto the metal stems gave you an issue.

I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks again.

I have to say I feel the design of the rotor was meant for them to be two tone to highlight the tips, but yours look spectacular in the bright silver. I am sooooo envious of your car it's awesome. Such a great colour combo.

I have to say I feel the design of the rotor was meant for them to be two tone to highlight the tips, but yours look spectacular in the bright silver. I am sooooo envious of your car it's awesome. Such a great colour combo.

Thanks! And yah I considered doing white tips, but nobody would commit to a Glacier White Pearl paint match. If I had Ibis white I could have done it easily. Most shops were scared to mix GWP.

In the end though, I think the RS5 hyper silver looks really good. :smile new:

So I got some new Yokohama tires and the tire shop caused some minor (but noticeable) damage t0 3 of my wheels. So they agreed to have them all re-powder coated and gave me some loaner wheels in the meantime. The center caps say "D R A G" so I looked them up. I found them on their website as DR70 model.

Don't know bout you all but imo these wheels look PERFECT on our S4 cars.

LOVE the look, but dayyyuuummm these are a major pain in the A too clean. Took me 30 minutes just to clean all 4 wheels.

When they told me they had loaners for me, I was like.. ah man my car is gonna be lookin all weird for a bit, but then I saw what they put on there.

Check it.

Audi S4 with loaner Drag DR70 wheels 1 Audi S4 with loaner Drag DR70 wheels 2

Reactions: Bristle Hound and DieselJake
Sorry to hear about that mate hope it works out. Woah they look really good, thought they were OEM at first, I'd leave them with yours and keep those on the car haha.

So I got some new Yokohama tires and the tire shop caused some minor (but noticeable) damage t0 3 of my wheels. So they agreed to have them all re-powder coated and gave me some loaner wheels in the meantime. The center caps say "D R A G" so I looked them up. I found them on their website as DR70 model.

Don't know bout you all but imo these wheels look PERFECT on our S4 cars.

LOVE the look, but dayyyuuummm these are a major pain in the A too clean. Took me 30 minutes just to clean all 4 wheels.

When they told me they had loaners for me, I was like.. ah man my car is gonna be lookin all weird for a bit, but then I saw what they put on there.

Check it.

View attachment 141110 View attachment 141111
@ThatOneDude - Gotta watch the tire shops like a hawk when they're replacing tyres IMO
At least they admitted liability & have done the right thing & sorted your wheels out

Those loaners look so very much like the 19" 7 arm twin spokes (Audi speak lol) alloys I had on my B8 A4

s1oezF0l.jpg

They do look great but, agreed, what a PITA to keep clean lol

Its been a long time since I had yokos (on my Ford Capri so that's how long ago!) but I remember they had fantastic grip (open the window and I could hear them sticking to the road as if they were covered by little suckers) but abysmal lifespan. I hope current yokos have more longevity or you'll be back to the 'shop to risk your wheels again sooner than you'd like!

Sorry to hear about that mate hope it works out. Woah they look really good, thought they were OEM at first, I'd leave them with yours and keep those on the car haha.

I know right? They totally look OEM. I think it's because oh how strikingly similar they look to the old RS4 wheels, which I always thought looked spot on.

@ThatOneDude - Gotta watch the tire shops like a hawk when they're replacing tyres IMO
At least they admitted liability & have done the right thing & sorted your wheels out

Those loaners look so very much like the 19" 7 arm twin spokes (Audi speak lol) alloys I had on my B8 A4

s1oezF0l.jpg

They do look great but, agreed, what a PITA to keep clean lol

:iagree:. It was Discount Tire, so they know they have to do the right thing. I left the shop and drove about 1/2 mile on the new shoes. Fired up the hose to give her a good bath and when I cleaned the wheels, I was shocked to find multiple areas of chips and scrapes from the machinery they used. I immediately went back and the shop Manager agreed that their machines could do that so they sent them to the same place I had originally gotten them powder coated because it just so happens that they work with that company exclusively. :huh:

Anyway yah cleaning these wheels will make a preacher curse that's for sure. :sulkiness:

btw... funny, see my comment above. These are the RS4 wheels I was referring to. :smile new:

Its been a long time since I had yokos (on my Ford Capri so that's how long ago!) but I remember they had fantastic grip (open the window and I could hear them sticking to the road as if they were covered by little suckers) but abysmal lifespan. I hope current yokos have more longevity or you'll be back to the 'shop to risk your wheels again sooner than you'd like!

Well I went with the Yokohoma Advan All Sport A/S which come with a bewildering 50K mile wear tread life warranty. Originally I was a little concerned that they wouldn't be sticky enough, but so far so good. The tread compound is rated at 440AA, which is insane compared to what I had on there, which were Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S02 rated at 280AA. I only got 12K out of them too. :grey:

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Right... sooooo.... in a strange twist of events, turns out they didn't need these loaners any more and I offered to buy them from Discount Tire. We struck a deal and now I brought my original OEM rotors home in the trunk with these still on the car.

Did not expect that.

So I don't quite know what I'm going to do yet but I may part ways with the rotor wheels and keep these new 8-spokes, which I think look ultra proper on the S4.

The rotor wheels have a brand new fresh coat of Audi Hyper Silver powder coat. They look so nice.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, DieselJake and xpoweruk
Right... sooooo.... in a strange twist of events, turns out they didn't need these loaners any more and I offered to buy them from Discount Tire. We struck a deal and now I brought my original OEM rotors home in the trunk with these still on the car.

Did not expect that.

So I don't quite know what I'm going to do yet but I may part ways with the rotor wheels and keep these new 8-spokes, which I think look ultra proper on the S4.

The rotor wheels have a brand new fresh coat of Audi Hyper Silver powder coat. They look so nice.
Can we see some pics of the rotors? :)

Here are a couple close ups of the type of "damage" they did to the wheels. Nothing horrible, but still unacceptable and pretty sloppy of the tech guy to do this.

Audi S4 Powdercoated Wheels after Tire installation   10 23 17 2

Audi S4 Powdercoated Wheels after Tire installation   10 23 17 3

Audi S4 Powdercoated Wheels after Tire installation   10 23 17 4

And here they are all fresh re-powder coated. They did a nice job. Fantastic metallic Audi Hyper Silver with super glossy finish.

There are a couple teensie weensie pinhole sized dimples that I suppose got baked in during the curing process.

I didn't notice them until I got up close and inspected. Not overly thrilled about it tbh, but anyway... at least they are very tiny. I tried to capture in the pics and point them out with blue arrows.

All wrapped up
Audi S4 OEM Rotors Powder Coated Hyper Silver 1

Freshly unwrapped - no flash vs with flash
Audi S4 OEM Rotors Powder Coated Hyper Silver 3 Audi S4 OEM Rotors Powder Coated Hyper Silver 4

Some super close ups to show finish

No flash
Audi S4 OEM Rotors Powder Coated Hyper Silver 7 Audi S4 OEM Rotors Powder Coated Hyper Silver 10

With Flash
Audi S4 OEM Rotors Powder Coated Hyper Silver 5 Audi S4 OEM Rotors Powder Coated Hyper Silver 6

Uploaded upside down, but here is one wheel with no flash
Audi S4 OEM Rotors Powder Coated Hyper Silver 11

Same wheel - no flash vs with flash
Audi S4 OEM Rotors Powder Coated Hyper Silver 15 Audi S4 OEM Rotors Powder Coated Hyper Silver 16

Here is one of the "dimples" mentioned in the previous post
Audi S4 OEM Rotors Powder Coated Hyper Silver 9

All with black center caps - no flash vs flash
Audi S4 OEM Rotors Powder Coated Hyper Silver 18 Audi S4 OEM Rotors Powder Coated Hyper Silver 19

Another dimple
Audi S4 OEM Rotors Powder Coated Hyper Silver 20

with center caps and bolt covers
Audi S4 OEM Rotors Powder Coated Hyper Silver 21

Reactions: DieselJake, Bristle Hound and jdp1962
Ok well I applied Chemical Guys Max Wheel Guard to the new wheels today.
Cg max coat
Cleaned and prep the wheels properly, then applied the green paste, then buffed it all off completely. VERY tedious job, especially on these wheels. The rotor wheels are so much easier to clean. This took me about 4 hours total.

All 3 wheel pics below are same front passenger wheel and same angle

BEFORE (sprayed with water only)
IMG front pass 3724

AFTER THOROUGH CLEANING AND WITH MAX WHEEL GUARD APPLIED (Green Paste)
IMG front pass 3732

FINISHED WHEEL AFTER MAX WHEEL GUARD ALL BUFFED OFF
IMG front pass 3737

ALL WASHED AND WHEELS PROTECTED
Drag DR70 wheels after Max Wheel Guard 11 19 17 2

By chance would anyone have any ideas for me on how to get the Audi logo onto center caps for these wheels? Unfortunately, the factory caps don't snap into these wheels because the backing is slightly different. I have thought of several ideas but am not sure which is best/most simple.

1. Somehow find ready made Audi caps that snap in
2. Get the center caps wrapped
3. Place a circular color matched sticker with the Audi logo on it (seems kinda like the jenkiest idea)
4. Have a specialty shop engrave the Audi logo directly into the metal of the center caps (the current DRAG logo is slightly engraved)

Hoping the crew here can suggest / recommend the best solution!

By chance would anyone have any ideas for me on how to get the Audi logo onto center caps for these wheels? Unfortunately, the factory caps don't snap into these wheels because the backing is slightly different. I have thought of several ideas but am not sure which is best/most simple.

1. Somehow find ready made Audi caps that snap in
2. Get the center caps wrapped
3. Place a circular color matched sticker with the Audi logo on it (seems kinda like the jenkiest idea)
4. Have a specialty shop engrave the Audi logo directly into the metal of the center caps (the current DRAG logo is slightly engraved)

Hoping the crew here can suggest / recommend the best solution!

@ThatOneDude - How about measuring the centre caps looking on eBay ?
Similarly doing the same for Audi logo stickers to go on the centre caps ?

@ThatOneDude - How about measuring the centre caps looking on eBay ?
Similarly doing the same for Audi logo stickers to go on the centre caps ?

BH - they are actually identical measurement to the stock center caps. They just have different clips in the back to snap in place. We tried popping one off at the tire shop and the Audi caps don't snap into place on the DRAG wheels. :(

My preference to somehow find Audi caps online that snap right in. Seems unlikely since these are not Audi wheels.

If not, I may send them off to a shop to get them wrapped. I don't know if stickers will look right. Maybe black with silver logo.

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro, xpoweruk and Bristle Hound
It's here!

and WOW! This thing is stooooopid awesome!!! :scared2:

Pictures just simply do not do these S4 cars justice. The fit and finish is impeccable.

And I love driving it. Feels like a fighter jet or something. It's wonderful.

I'm going to clean her up really nicely and take a proper photo shoot when I get the time.

Here's a couple pics I snapped from inside my garage so I couldn't get many of the exterior... :s4addict:

View attachment 65163 View attachment 65164 View attachment 65165 View attachment 65166

I'd love to have a garage that big!

yah me too man :laughing:

that was an oversized 3 bay garage. fantastic space.

but we moved across town last year and now have a tight 2 car. (real tight :confounded:)

if you ever have the opportunity to have a 3 bay garage, DO IT!

Okey dokey well here is a good up close look at these metal center cap stickers. Overall I think I chose properly. Of course I am not totally sure of their durability, especially being in a very "exposed to all elements" high rotational speed placement, but at least they match very nicely, fit perfectly, and look basically OEM.

I'm glad I inquired here. Thanks for helping out!

What do you guys think?

Audi Center Cap Metal Stickers 1 Audi Center Cap Metal Stickers 2
Audi Center Cap Metal Stickers 3Audi Center Cap Metal Stickers 5Audi Center Cap Metal Stickers 6

Last edited:
Reactions: yusuf7869, Bristle Hound, jdp1962 and 1 other person
Looking good
I've had similar ones on my car for a few years & they have not budged :racer:

Okey dokey well here is a good up close look at these metal center cap stickers. Overall I think I chose properly. Of course I am not totally sure of their durability, especially being in a very "exposed to all elements" high rotational speed placement, but at least they match very nicely, fit perfectly, and look basically OEM.

I'm glad I inquired here. Thanks for helping out!

What do you guys think?

View attachment 143717 View attachment 143718
View attachment 143719View attachment 143721View attachment 143722
Looking good, @ThatOneDude