2014 Glacier White Revo S3

Great update.

Nice touch with the 98 RON fuel sticker - my fuel cap solenoid seized under warranty and the dealer looked at me as if I was bonkers when I asked for the 98 sticker instead of the 95 that they had put on it.

Reactions: Boydie
Been a long time indeed since I have been on ASN - probably 27/04/20

Anyway, still have the car :) don't know if I will ever sell it but it has been on my mind this last couple of months due to family and a 50 mile commute per day. I commuted the same for most of 2020 and the car has just passed 60k and going strong.

Experienced a couple of issues with the car this last year including:

Dirty fuel - blocking/contaminating LPFP in the tank, changed housing, changed pump, changed filter, changed control module (still issues)
Changed cam follower
Ended up being HPFP so replaced with OEM pump and autotech internals

Next up was broken alternator pulley :(
Faulty DV was another issue

But aside from that, still loving the car and to continue on from my last post:

Summer 2019 to finish off my NC500 trip

Left my mate at the airport in Inverness and picked up my wife and son. Headed to Findhorn to meet my parents and leave my son with them while my wife and I continued along the west coast up to Thurso

View attachment 245451

Think this was over near Ullapool, just cant remember as the views and scenery were just spectacular!

View attachment 245452

View attachment 245453

Kylesku

View attachment 245454

Smoo cave

View attachment 245455

Where we camped for the night outside Thurso

View attachment 245456

John O Groats the next morning
View attachment 245457

The back down the east coast which isnt that exciting, back to Findhorn to my parents and son for a few days to party, head to the boat then head home. 1700 fault free miles around Scotland which was just epic

Then in no particular order, this is what I have been up too with the car the last couple of years

Simple mod, I remember cleaning an A4 and noticing the ends of the seat rails had covers, trial fitted and worked a treat. Ordered some and fitted.
View attachment 245458

View attachment 245459

Got round during lock down last year to install my leather centre console

View attachment 245460

View attachment 245461
And in

View attachment 245462

Coolant relocation pipe - annoyingly the OEM pipe sits ontop of the intake - EZM+ coolant pipe fed under the intake

Before

View attachment 245463

After

View attachment 245464

While we are under the bonnet, I cleaned the intake and installed a Mk5 Golf battery cover to replace the crappy fabric one

View attachment 245465

View attachment 245466

While in the mood for repairs, my fuel cap actuator failed which is a common problem and easily resolved, just requires some brutality

View attachment 245467

View attachment 245468

View attachment 245469

View attachment 245470

View attachment 245471

View attachment 245472

Over lockdown and again last week the arches got a thorough decontamination and clean

View attachment 245473

View attachment 245474

View attachment 245475
View attachment 245476
View attachment 245477

Now onto the good stuff

Been to a few drag events and top speed runs the last couple of years

View attachment 245478
The top speed event was this year in september and below are my times and crossed the line at 155mph (800m)

View attachment 245479

View attachment 245480

Then a photoshoot a few weeks ago

View attachment 245481
View attachment 245482

View attachment 245483

Had maxton skirt extensions fitted as well :)

Happy reading :p

The amount of work you have put into that, I don‘t see how you could ever part with it.

I really need to get over to Scotland again for another road trip, my Porsche would be fantastic fun on those roads.

Yeah the amount of work put in and there is still more I would like to do, is making it really really hard for me to change it. Really dont know what I would too though.

Tempted to sell both cars (wife's), get her a S4 Avant and me a SQ5 (she drives a Q5) but then again, we dont need two large family cars.

Reactions: Chris4410
Bit of a maintenance update this one and some prep for the drag race

So having spoken with @G24NTR about his tyre experiences with the new Accellera 651 Sport Xrtra I decided to buy a set while they were on offer (silly cheap). At that stage, I could not get my hands on a set of light weight 18's so just went with 235/35/19 with the intention of just swapping over onto my stock wheels. Will see if they will make a difference in my 0-60ft at lower pressure increasing grip off the line

They arrived end of June so since then I have been trawling ebay, facebook, gumtree, etc... for various 19" rims like Revo's, Team Dynamics, Motec's, etc... all +/- 10kg each

I then added to the search another set of OEM 19's which surprisingly are 9.7kg each which would probably be one of the lightest 19" wheels available for sensible money. Low and behold, I found a set in Edinburgh on Gumtree which have been off the car more or less from new and put in storage. Now for sale since the car was sold.

Problem was collection/delivery and for the money, I had to have them so a friend in Fife collected them for me and coincidentally my parents are in Scotland so are bringing them home in the next couple of weeks - they are immaculate! Might swap them and make them my daily wheels with the Michelin PS4S'

Now on to the maintenance - I had the car fully serviced at the start of June (DSG, Haldex removal and Engine Oil) ready for the Runway Club event which I didn't end up going too :worried: Since then (within last week or so) I have experienced some boost issues and been suggested that I change my spark plugs (March 2021 was last time) and the coil packs (on originals at 70k miles).

So the car is going into TG Performance this week for:
  • Spark plugs (NGK Racing)
  • Coil packs (OEM Audi B9 S4 - recommended by AwesomeGTI)
  • 02 sensor (OEM)
  • Low pressure fuel pump filter (Walbro)

Installed some new front wipers - an oddly satisfying replacement but a hateful thing to buy :joy:

Hopefully the above cures the issues and has me ready for the drag racing in September!! Roll on 10 seconds!

Finally got my Accelera 651 XTRA’s on the new replacement, all be it the same, rims.

To recap, I couldn’t for decent money find a suitable, lightweight wheel in 18/19” anywhere or people were looking too much or wouldn’t ship to Belfast.

Found these on Gumtree in Edinburgh for a bargain so got the tyres on earlier in the week and on last night.

My Miltek res delete arrived yesterday too so somehow have to try get it on before Sunday.

..........................................................................................

Weekend past was the Irish Drag Racing event - I have been doing these events now since I owned my S3 and due to covid, there sadly hasnt been an opportunity to host another event this last 3 years

So above, my res delete arrived last week and I tackled this job throughout Saturday

Jacked up, reasonable access, happy days...

So first, the back box had to come off - bit of a wrestle, some twisting and bashing but got it off - some weight in it!

Next was to tackle the resonated centre box :mad: what a MF PITA

This thing would not budge - drowned in WD40, I could get a bit of a twist on it but required my entire body weight under the car plus leverage from a bar. Gave up to go pick my wife up from work to calm myself down :joy:

The barstard in question:

I had a mallet which wasn't making a dent so frustration got the better of me and brought out the sledge - this was after picking up my wife and having a think about it - few whacks sorted it.

should have done this from the start - at this point I think I was 5-6 hours in :eek:

Thankfully the res delete slipped on like a dream!

Now the back box, with its awkward shape and weight proved a bit more difficult but got there in the end with a bit of wiggling, flaring and swearing

Now it does look off at this angle but looks as it should when on the ground. There is no shifting in it what so ever but will look at it again to see if there is any movement

Next job was to strip the car for the drag event, this took me up to 22.30 on Saturday night lol nothing like last min prep! Still no idea how much weight is stripped from the car, keeping meaning to weigh everything but time always gets the better of me :worried:

Anyway, onto the event which was fantastic despite the weather - I wasn't expecting records to be broken on such a wet day but the times were good none the less with my best being 11.69 on Dragy with a 0-60 in 3.61 in the wet :joy:

My Dragy times vs Straightliners

Big thanks to Chris Burns for letting me jet wash the travel off the car before scrutineering - I need a heated jet wash in my life!

Some action shots that I have seen so far - I have requested more hi res pics

(this was a bad start where I had to disengage launch control as the lights were taking too long to change)

As you can see, was a swimming pool but still, great craic!

Love this car, daily driven, weekly cleaned, 100+ launches under its belt with 72k now on the clocks. Stripped for the drag event and ready for work the next day :cool: Plan is to keep it well maintained and keep it another while!

Reactions: Maz, s3mad_dude, Scotty75 and 1 other person
Awesome S3 mate

Going back to your earlier post in here mate , how did you turn off the Sound Aktor ?

Great read! pre facelift seems higher quality / more special than facelift? S3 on seats for example instead of shared S-line seats, metal paddles instead of the plastic ones you find on 1.0 a3's... seems audi cut corners on facelift S3's.

• Love
Since the drag race, I haven't had a chance to change over the tyres/wheels so took too it on Sunday

Jacked up and ready for a clean

Stinking - will only get worse and wheels will not be off again probably until April

Soaked in pre cleaner first and rinsed then foam applied

Agitated with drill attachment

Voila

Then cleaned the body, QD and blow dried for it to then rain after and for the last 2 days :(

Michelins back on, feels a lot different. More confidence on the back roads for sure in the wet compared to the Acellera 651's

Nothing planned at all now for the car except try keep it clean over winter - next drag event is in April so between now and then I plan to change the exhaust again to do a back box delete (weight saving) and use the Miltek centre box instead, straight pipe it from there to exit.

Hopefully next event is dry so I can make use of the tyres properly. Will maybe look into a light weight front seat for the day but will see - I will still keep an eye out for Revo RV018's or Team Dynamic 1.2's in 18" as there is weight still to be saved.

Reactions: THQuattro, glospete, Alex.S3 and 1 other person
6 years owned today

Longest I’ve had a car and no sign of selling up or changing.

Recent full service including engine, DSG, haldex and diff oils, 4 new tyres to be fitted in the next week or so, contemplating wheel refurb at the same time as there are some chips on the wheels and evidence of white worm. Can put my track wheels on in the mean time.

Cam shaft magnets to fit once I pick them up as well as fit two new rear drop links when they arrive.

Other than that, keep it clean, keep it fuelled and keep smiling!

Reactions: voorhees, Audi Bairn, AlS3BE and 3 others
Great looking car!

TX.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• Love
Just keeping this thread updated with the latest, nothing exciting, just some maintenance, wheel refurb and new tyres...

There are two camshaft magnets in these cars and over time, they start to fail. Common signs are lumpy idle, limp mode, poor mpg, engine light, etc... Mine went into limp mode during some spirited driving and after diagnostics, changing them was the next step.

Thanks to Tufty for sourcing the parts saving me a bit of money compared to Audi which were twice the price

Located on the left side of the engine - had to disconnect a coolant pipe and move the coolant tank for better access

Not a hard job at all, wee bit of oil spillage but nothing major

Two new ones in, car running perfectly fine (did anyway once faults were cleared)

Next job on the list to prepare for the drag racing was to replace the rear drop links - it was noted during my service that one was on its way out so took advantage of an Autodoc sale and got 2 new ones. First one was a pain in the hoop as the inside spline was rounded, ended up having to cut it off, second one was a breeze

Arch clean followed there after - all those grimy winter months gathering up behind the wheels!!

So that takes us up to last week when prep started for the drag racing - plans were to remove my wheels, get them refurbed while I had the chance (tbh they were in decent shape, no kerbing, just some tarnishing and white worm of the polished face and a couple chips) and fit my new Michelin PS4S tyres

Off they go....

ot them back this morning and quick inspection at 0530am they look great. Will keep them off the car until the weekend and hope to put some sealant on them before going back on the car!

So that brings us up to last weekend, race prep underway with the track wheels on, car serviced and new parts installed. Long story short, had another fault on the car related to boost control module A circuit/open on Saturday which is pointing at the waste gate actuator on the turbo:

Part needs ordered up and replaced before committing to the next race at Kirkistown so that's the priority now

If you haven't been following the thread, I decided not to take my car to the drag racing due to the above and fortunately a friend who could not attend, leant me their 991 911 Turbo S which was an unforgettable experience

Got some time over the weekend to put the wheels back on - look so much more fresh compared to my other set

New tyres on too which feel weird but glad to have them changed!

Still waiting on the turbo actuator for the car which will hopefully be going in on the 27th this month - few other maintenance parts to come up as well as brake fluid change needed - other than that, same old same, just drive it, clean it and enjoy it! :grinning:

So actuator arrived and I learned that my Revo V1 hybrid turbo uses a modified stock actuator :( now needs to be sent away to be turned down

Top one is the one that just came out. Bottom is new.

So that is everything up to date now - the actuator was fitted over a week ago, 300-400 miles done and the car is back to normal and feels extremely sharp! Maybe been poorly for a while!

I have rear shock dust covers to fit as both mine have failed and have fallen. Just haven't had a minute at the weekends to do the job. Having issues also with the rear brake carriers sticking and squealing so looking to replace them next month.

Driven and enjoyed daily!

Reactions: Harvey and AlS3BE
Next job on the list to prepare for the drag racing was to replace the rear drop links - it was noted during my service that one was on its way out so took advantage of an Autodoc sale and got 2 new ones. First one was a pain in the hoop as the inside spline was rounded, ended up having to cut it off, second one was a breeze

View attachment 267292
Are you running a SuperPro Rear Anti Roll Bar with the stock drop links? I had this setup and one of the stock drop links snapped so, went with the SuperPro drop links too. They seemed to tighten the back end up a bit more too

Are you running a SuperPro Rear Anti Roll Bar with the stock drop links? I had this setup and one of the stock drop links snapped so, went with the SuperPro drop links too. They seemed to tighten the back end up a bit more too

H&R but much of a muchness - I just replaced with OEM as they have been grand for 50k+ miles.

Reactions: alpesh26
The camshaft magnets , one behind each of those covers just behind the dip stick ? Is it a straight forward old one out new one in ? Mind if I ask what they set you back mate ?

The camshaft magnets , one behind each of those covers just behind the dip stick ? Is it a straight forward old one out new one in ? Mind if I ask what they set you back mate ?

Yeah literally swop in and out - 3 torx screws and I used a screw driver to pry them off the seal. I would recommend moving the coolant bottle for better access but no need to drain it.

I paid £75 from Eurocarparts - I will see what the part numbers are whereas Audi were looking £150 for the pair

P/N: 300 44 3090
£35.49+VAT each

Reactions: Scotty75
Thanks mate , very useful info Typical dealership mark up eh , daylight robbery !

Yeah literally swop in and out - 3 torx screws and I used a screw driver to pry them off the seal. I would recommend moving the coolant bottle for better access but no need to drain it.

I paid £75 from Eurocarparts - I will see what the part numbers are whereas Audi were looking £150 for the pair

P/N: 300 44 3090
£35.49+VAT each

@Boydie . Don’t suppose you have link to these , I’m having trouble finding them on EC. Probably me having a moment lol !!

@Boydie . Don’t suppose you have link to these , I’m having trouble finding them on EC. Probably me having a moment lol !!

You aren't bud as they were special order (I have a friend works in ECP) - best ringing them and quoting that part number to see what they can do - make was Schaeffler

Also, check Autodoc - they have a number of different options for decent money and INA seem to be the same as Schaeffler after a quick Google

Reactions: Scotty75
In May 2023, I had another bad experience with dirty fuel, this time from Comber Solo which is documented on my local site. Been pretty good since I had the fuel filter replaced but hasn't been running 100% really but since a full service and fuel filter change, it behaved pretty well.

Drag racing was my main event for this car but it was no longer happening and always wanted to try tracking my car - always on my mind about wrecking the car on track but tbh, I drive it pretty hard every day home on the B roads so what difference would it be :joy: that was my logic and justification!

Anyway, before track, I needed to change my spark plugs - never in my 21 years of driving have I ever done this so this was a first which thankfully went well, thanks to a mate for lending me a longer extension bar.

Cleaned the intake filter as well and fitted a new Forge Motorsport catch can (for track day) - didn't realise upon purchase that they use the OEM engine mounts to attach too and I have uprated Revo Mounts so its bodge fitted for now. Have and idea on how to fix permanently with a 3D printed bracket.

Onto the track day which was on Sunday 5th Nov - initially worried about the flooded track but couldn't have asked for a better day, weather was perfect and track was dry as a bone!

This was it late the week before!!

Great day have to say, no ragrets except my bank balance later this month when it needs serviced, brake fluid now and pads :joy: Underestimated how much fuel I would go through but was near the end of session 3 and petrol light came on turned out I did 151 miles to that tank so roughly 12mpg :joy:

Roll on the next one!

Toasty!!

Love this car, it gets hammered on B roads every day, been to 10+ drag days, been launched 100+ times, toured round the UK and gets me to work every day with no major fuss. Just turned 89k too there at the weekend :eek:

Now looking at upgrading brakes ***

Catch can doing its thing - track day and about 1000 miles more or less. Emptied about a month later just to see how much it was collecting based on experience with my old S3 (emptying nearly every 2/3 weeks) but I expected more

Need to make a proper bracket now for it to mount to the headlight as it was designed to attach to the OEM engine mount

Next update to follow

Following on from the track day, cooking my brakes and the fact that they need new discs and pads (last done in 2018 believe it or not) I have been looking at different brakes non stop since really.

I kept looking at BBK's but in my head could not justify £2-3k on brakes. It does make sense based on the power of the car and my intentions with it but also the current brake set up I have had the last 5 years has never let me down:
  • VW GTI Clubsport S discs (lighter, vented)

• Ferrodo DS2500 pads
  • Stock lines and fluid
  • RS3 Ducts (below)

So to recap, these were my brakes after the third session on the track #******

Didn't let me down as said but they need changed or upgraded

So costs as follows to replace what i have:

• 340x30mm VW GTI Clubsport S discs are £475
  • Ferrodo DS2500 pads are £240
  • Upgraded lines EBC/HEL/etc... £50
  • Fluid - negligible
So guts of £800 inc postage (without looking at discounts elsewhere, prices based on Awesome GTI) sort of set my expect budget but had put it on hold due to servicing, xmas and so on.

Roll on a mate texting me earlier in the week with a link for second hand Racing Line Stage 2 Evo brake kit

Advert was on a group forum I wasn't a member of so I quickly joined but while waiting for approval, found them on Marketplace, sent the seller a message and long story short after many messages later, building some rapport and doing research, I bought them 8o|8o|

Last thing I needed to do this side of Xmas and a holiday next month but they were a fantastic price, excellent condition and the seller was an absolute gent. Sent a deposit, I paid the next day and they were shipped to me within 24hours!

Package includes:

- Monoblock Front Brake 4 pot Callipers
- Calliper Mounting Brackets (Pair)
- Full Mounting Bolt Kit
- Braided Steel Front Brake Line Set
- Sport Brake Pad Set (Fast Road Use)
- Triple Groove 345mm Brake Discs (Pair - think they might be able to take up to 380mm discs but haven't looked into this)

To add to the cooling, I only recently found out that the RS3 has vent brake dust covers which fit perfectly so will look more into these but then again, could just remove the covers all together ‍♂️ thoughts?

Also keen for a Eurocode rear brace from the USA which seems to get good reports but unsure exactly if it will make a huge difference to justify the price, postage and import fees if I am not noticing an issue in the first place - very subtle and still allows full use of the boot unlike the Racingline X brace which covers the back of the rear seat

Since my factory brakes are red and I am not touching the rear calipers, I sent the Racinglines for stripping and painting

Ordered a new seal and boot kit from Awesome which are still to arrive but that's the next phase of this project:
  • Paint Racingline inserts Glacier white
  • Rebuild callipers back together
  • Install new HEL rear brake lines
  • New brake fluid for track
  • Install brakes
That should keep me going/interested for a while

Reactions: Harvey, voorhees and ahtcap