2014 Glacier White Revo S3

Another drag race under the belt, this time at Bishopscourt Airfield for Drag Racing Irelands "One Very Last Blast"

I hadn't been to BC since my Uni days, probably 2003, those cold nights of illegal drag racing lol brought back good memories!

Anyway, I hadn't done a single thing to my car since the Straightliner event last month at Enniskillen so yesterday was just for a bit of fun, no prep, just go out and race

TBH not as smoothly ran as Straighliners but they found their groove and you were racing quick enough after each attempt.

All in, I raced 8 times and the S3 never skipped a beat, results as follows:

1. S3 (12.122S) vs MR2 (13.621)

2. S3 (12.081) vs Civic (17.230)

3. S3 (12.061) vs Supra TT (13.534)

4. S3 (12.230) vs EK9 Civic Type R

5. S3 (12.300) vs Volvo 240 (sleeper?) (15.137)

6. S3 (12.291) vs F10 M5 600+ bhp from Enniskillen (12.732)

At this stage I found out that I had qualified with the 4th fastest time of the day and into a knock out stage. These races were based on who crosses the line first. In the semi final I was against a red R35 GTR JM1200R with approx. 1000bhp

He hadn't been doing well all day and was struggling with grip. He put down a 10.8s earlier in the day. He was slow off the line and I just pipped it by a smidge, even though he recorded a faster time

7. S3 (12.241) vs GTR JM1200R (11.938)

That got me into the final against a friend of mine who I told about the drag race lol he arrived just before the knock out stages for 1 run and recorded a low 11 which put him into second. He beat OMA?? Scooby in his semi final and was put against me in the final.

I had no hope but was a fantastic experience and has me hooked for the next event!

8: S3 (12.042 - my fastest of the day) vs 991 911 Turbo S (10.820)

What a day.
Wow that looks immense! Watched the video where you smoked that M5. Bet it was a very fun day. You're on stage 3 now? What sort of Bhp are we talking about now?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@Adam14 yeah check the last page with the turbo and brake install - should be between 470 to 500bhp

Thanks
Will teach me to skim read. Thanks mate! I'm sure the car doesn't get old

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan
Pay week last week so only means one thing, car mods!

Since upgrading the turbo, I had to remove my APR catch can which is now useless. The downside to the can means you HAVE to have the APR intake in order for it to fit and unfortunately, not many people have this intake, so selling it separate has been proving difficult.

I have been researching like crazy and contacting some individual tuners looking their opinions, based on RR graphs, on what intake works best with a Stage 3 car, all are coming back with the VWR600

Vwr r600 updatedface 3 web

VWR12G7R600USA 5

VWR12G7R600USA 4

And the cool part showing the cold air flow:

VWR R600 CFD ANALYSIS DEVELOPMENT

Means now I can sell the APR intake and catch can as a set which I think will be more appealing to potential buyers, soooooooooooo, anyone interested? lol

You had it on the rollers yet pal ?

Second service carried out on my haldex pump in 15k miles since I bought it Feb 2017.

Not terrible but still bad enough to see the build up of “gunk” around the gauze.

Something I thoroughly recommend any Quattro owner doing is to remove the pump and clean the gauze and housing. The stealers only replace the oil and neglect the filter!!

7B394895 035A 4620 88E7 3CA71363DA9A

Reactions: SPIKE_, jungle650, MikeParkin and 1 other person
Nice buddy! Im back and looking on with interest to your thread :) Thinking about getting either a Golf R or the S3 and then play again!

Reactions: Boydie
Haven’t updated this in months and the only thing new is its first MOT which it sailed through back in December.

40A98E76 A0C1 4521 BF81 6A4834AEB90B

Other than that, looking forward to the drag racing events later this year and just enjoy driving it every day.

Considering changing it some time this year but literally do not know what. If we plan for another kid the next car will def be 5 door but just don’t know what.

Got a well over due wash today, been months and you can see as the fallout on it is atrocious!!

1A44C702 D727 4391 A16D 5B54016E8CB8

EA6B4BA1 0861 4A6B 9B2A 33CD2A9EE09D

FA571FB8 491A 48A7 8CD5 F5533CDDC41A

Common problem with these and Golf R’s is for the actuator for the fuel cap to fail. Mine is starting to go as I’ve been caught out twice not being able to open the flap.

£22 or so from TPS so a good part to replace before failure. Had a go at fitting it yesterday but looks like I have to pierce the existing cover which I am not happy about doing - I will probably order a new cap shroud and fit all at once.

E2346220 E2C1 4883 BAB2 EF221BC65476

Reactions: MikeParkin, dmpx, Adam14 and 2 others
I’ve seen this motor out and about in Belfast a few times - It just oozes cool in person. Really catches your eye and has real presence on the road.

Top job mate :thumbs up:

Thanks for the comments guys - I love this car, just wish it was 5 door then I would probably keep it. Then again, the appeal of a run around is tempting.

You not had chance to get in on a dyno yet pal ?

@MikeParkin no - any quote I get is extortionate and we are quite limited to 4WD dyno's here in NI

Just waiting patiently for a RR day or something to come up

Does the s3 not just run in fwd mode for dyno?
I can remember the old r32 can be dyno on 2wd dyno. Haldex isn’t proper awd, just when it feels like it.

I am against doing that, I don't see the point in "fooling" the car and getting an inaccurate reading on a 2WD dyno but it is possible.

Would it not be more accurate to measure engine output? Since the haldex won’t be engaging/disengaging while doing the run and shuffling up to 50% torque to rear.
I’m just guessing, as these are cars are really fwd and the haldex activates when the fronts struggles for grip. I know the newer gen haldex are quicker and can predict slip but ultimately it’s just a fwd till conditions are right for rear drive as well.

My car ran on a 4WD dyno and I’ve only heard of a few that pull the fuse etc.

It’s the same for RS3 and TTRS and they all run on 4WD dyno.

My car ran on a 4WD dyno and I’ve only heard of a few that pull the fuse etc.

It’s the same for RS3 and TTRS and they all run on 4WD dyno.

Think it can be done on obd/vcds.
Pulling the fuse is a bit crude.
Wanting mine on dyno so trying to see the best options. 4wd dyno is ideal but closest ones to me are 2wd.

Think it can be done on obd/vcds.
Pulling the fuse is a bit crude.
Wanting mine on dyno so trying to see the best options. 4wd dyno is ideal but closest ones to me are 2wd.

I certainly wouldn’t recommend or do it.

Personally I’d keep looking for a 4WD dyno and travel to it.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Have you lowered this

Yes, 20/25mm on H&R Springs

@AlS3BE pulling the fuse is an option but as said, I would rather get a true figure with all four wheels turning. As far as I know, the prop shaft is always turning and 4WD is always engaged??? I know the ratio's are different eg 60:40 but it never feels like the car is ever in FWD only and I have had 4 Quattro cars.

@AlS3BE pulling the fuse is an option but as said, I would rather get a true figure with all four wheels turning. As far as I know, the prop shaft is always turning and 4WD is always engaged??? I know the ratio's are different eg 60:40 but it never feels like the car is ever in FWD only and I have had 4 Quattro cars.
How does affect your warranty

It’s my first haldex Quattro. Had a couple of torsion Quattros and last was a6 which had the 60-40 split. I do find I can get the fronts to spin up occasionally coming out a junction. Been playing about with the drive select and I think in comfort/efficiency it’s easier to spin the fronts than in dynamic but it could just be in my head.

It’s my first haldex Quattro. Had a couple of torsion Quattros and last was a6 which had the 60-40 split. I do find I can get the fronts to spin up occasionally coming out a junction. Been playing about with the drive select and I think in comfort/efficiency it’s easier to spin the fronts than in dynamic but it could just be in my head.

I have my steering set in dynamic as I prefer the heavier feel, the rest is in comfort.

Racewars happened and what a great day - unfortunately the only photo I saw of the day was this
Upload 2019 5 11 8 4 12

d7aac8dc-224f-4c96-bead-199ff99801e9-jpeg.235594

At £5 to remove the water mark, I think I’ll keep that in my wallet.

So it was a roasting day and late to start as the queue was massive but got my first run against a Stage 2 C63 AMG estimated at 550bhp

Smoked him!

My first run turned out to be my fastest:

62814a1f-25cc-402b-82bc-82467683f219-jpeg.235595

Had 8 runs in total but not against anything interesting to be honest

Another video vs an Almera of some sort:

I’ve more but all the same thing to be honest. What I found throughout the day as it got warmer, my times were getting slower. Never got near my first time and the temp peaked at 23.5 degrees.

I had contemplated for ages after this event about selling the car but I just love it so I started researching about extra cooling and further tuning.

Thought about meth but after some conversations I decided against it mainly because it was a nuisance to get hold of and not really worth it for 2/3 events in the year if I do plan to sell it in the near future.

I spoke with Revo as I had heard about fuel pump upgrades and I had done this in my old S3 as a “plus” upgrade.

Revo have found that in cars that race and in hotter climates that fuel pressures drop so they provide an unreleased Stage 3+ package which consists of:
  • Walbro in tank LPFP
  • Autotech HPFP internals
  • Stage 3+ software with over run upon request
Strange that you have to ask about it and they don’t openly market it but all the parts arrived today and hopefully get them installed within next couple of weeks:

Autotech Internals

6df798c1-d2fe-4b3f-9181-e34a89b658f8-jpeg.235597

Walbro LPFP

867c658b-3a6b-4efb-a6ec-75558ed18b87-jpeg.235598

And most importantly, the recognition lol did a A4RON and prematurely put the badge on!

6bfcf3cf-1827-42d1-adcf-051aa514b280-jpeg.235600

So if you have watched Mighty Car Mods of their Stage 3+ Golf R (helped me make my decision) they say the pumps gain up to 5% depending on fuel - so up to 20bhp!

I’ve a rolling road day booked on 18/05 so looking forward to see it’s rough performance. I’d like to have the pumps in by then but I guess I can go back!

Another simple mod are OEM RS3 brake ducts which fit any A3/Golf platform.

Doubt they will have much affect on my day to day driving but they only cost £10 so thought may as well

2e197c94-354c-4cc7-8bef-07bd97846449-jpeg.235599

Hopefully get these on this weekend.

I had to order a specific tool for the Autotech internals which should arrive next week.

So that’s it for now. Thought I was done with this car in October but once again the race bug has bitten and I cannot wait to the next event in August! Here is hoping I have a 10 second car without 100k period!

Reactions: JonnyS3, MikeParkin, oli356 and 4 others
I doubt the LOFP will benefit over here but certainly the Autotech internals.

It was a while ago that I was talking to Revo about this stage 3+ Set up, be quite impressed to see the results from this. If they are good then I’ll be using Revo for stage 3.

Where did you get the parts from @Boydie you got me itching now !

Revo have found that in cars that race and in hotter climates that fuel pressures drop so they provide an unreleased Stage 3+ package which consists of:
  • Walbro in tank LPFP
  • Autotech HPFP internals
  • Stage 3+ software with over run upon request
Do you get much of that hotter climate in NI ?

It must have changed since I left home

I’m also enjoying the mighty car mods stuff - the idea of leaving your car in for a weekend and taking home a monster is appealing !

Reactions: MikeParkin
Where did you get the parts from @Boydie you got me itching now !

Parts were sourced through my local Revo tuner via Revo HQ, I sourced the Autotech tool from AKS Tuning and ordered the walbro pump from America from a link Revo HQ provided me with

Also ordered the Revo Engine Mount Kit from Midland VW - hope that arrives today or tomorrow for the big install tomorrow evening.

Do you get much of that hotter climate in NI ?

It must have changed since I left home

I’m also enjoying the mighty car mods stuff - the idea of leaving your car in for a weekend and taking home a monster is appealing !

haha well as I type its a beautiful morning - the main reason for me deciding to go to this next stage was purely for preventative maintenance of the OEM parts. If performance improves, then that a bonus!

Had some time between baby naps to get the ducts fitted and arches dressed. Took all day because of the wee man!

Started off removing the wheel

852c4177-9d65-4743-a99c-1db480a364f4-jpeg.235796

Off, so dirty! Haven’t had these off in 2 years.

08ef3082-2162-4464-a037-f1251c821999-jpeg.235797

Duct installed. So easy and agricultural lol

f393c9e4-63e2-4cbc-ad54-e92f29acf96c-jpeg.235798

Let the cleaning commence!

3f4926ca-1498-4043-8ba8-a784e6296afc-jpeg.235799

1aacdc53-7bab-48f4-bcc7-e60912a9cfdb-jpeg.235800

Wee man woke up and he’s just learned to walk so he was all over the place loving life

0b10a707-fffc-4d43-9f3a-38c861f8e277-jpeg.235801

Finish off

65541613-299a-4f3d-9717-745756663a6d-jpeg.235802

Dressed

fbae91b5-086b-41d2-a0f7-aaad0752840b-jpeg.235803

And all put back together

32abf107-50a2-422f-a35f-dd982ed2593c-jpeg.235804

X 2 for the other side!

Reactions: oli356, Adam14 and NevMan
Picked up the laptop with my new software to go get the pumps installed.

096c2c41-e922-469e-a854-4f54d97df9ee-jpeg.236119

Big thanks to BBSBOY and Fluff for persevering with this task. Took a lot longer than expected but we go there in the end.

Didn’t take too many photos as BBSBOY hates paparazzi but I managed to sneak a couple.

Decided it was best practice to change the cam follower. A totally new design compared to my last S3 and not an essential part to replace but for the money, I thought may as well. You can see some wear on the inner face but it was smooth to touch

32d94ff9-5837-4050-abff-fc03b511315f-jpeg.236121

The in tank LPFP needed the housing modified to install the uprated pump. Car now stinks of fuel lol

f8c201aa-2df5-40cf-9f0b-4c101cfc15df-jpeg.236120

Ran into a few problems putting the in tank pump back in but they got there in the end.

All installed, software on and now to drive it. Didn’t want to hoke it on the way home so hopefully get some time this week before the rolling road day on Saturday.

Now needs interior put back together and a good clean!

Until the next mod lol

Reactions: MaxBoostMRC, NevMan, MikeParkin and 1 other person
Great stuff @Boydie looking forward to hearing what the results are.