2014 Audi A3 1.6tdi DPF issues HELP

A5-MOE

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm posting on behalf of a friend. He has a Audi A3 1.6tdi and the Dpf light come on and went off. The car drives fine at the moment it's not going into limp mode or anything and stillhas power. It's just the light that came on which worried him. He only drives a few miles to work and back which explains it. He's given it a hard drive recently and said it hasn't come back on.
What would you guys recommend as it seem like the light will come back on?

If you suggest removing the dpf will the car need to be remapped?
Any garages you recommend in Birmingham for this?

Thanks for your help guys

Just drive it like it needs to be driven. One 15 minute run at 70mph each week should sort it.

Why anyone who only drives a few miles each day buys a diesel is another question.

Reactions: Sean Byrne
This happened to mine once, I hadn’t driven many miles and dpf light came on.
The car needs to perform a regen when ash has built up. There is a criteria though I believe, car needs to be driven for a while (20 mins) so car temp is normal and there is plenty of fuel in it, recommend filling up, then taking it on a cruise on motorway for a good 30/40 mins drive staying in 4th gear if possible till light goes off and regen has been successful.

He needs to take it on a cruise once a week if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t remove the dpf, it’ll only come back to haunt him later on. Either drive a modern diesel the way it’s meant to be driven or buy a petrol. It’s as simple as that.

Reactions: KenL
Don’t remove the dpf, it’ll only come back to haunt him later on. Either drive a modern diesel the way it’s meant to be driven or buy a petrol. It’s as simple as that.
yip, MOT failure and potentially a £1000 fine if you do.

Reactions: KenL
I have the exact same engine, he's just going to have to give it a good blast every couple of weeks or so, making sure he's doing high revs to burn all the soot from the filter. If not, the downstream sensor will pick up that only around 40% of the air is passing through compared to the upstream sensor and will bring the light back on.

Just out of curiosity, what's the car's mileage?

Mine has regular highway driving (~20miles x2) and every month or so a 2x 300 miles trip but it does regen every 300 miles or so which is making me nervous as it only has 18000 miles on the clock.