Help Please 2014 A4 AVANT 2.0 TDI S-LINE TIMING BELT

Paul Graham

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thank you for letting me join your group. I have just purchased the above car, but the previous owner has lost the service book. The car has done 74000 miles, but I don't know if the timing belt has been changed. How often should this be done? Looked online but have received conflicting answer.
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

I'm sure someone else asked about this not so long ago, and my ageing memory tells me that I was shocked at the answer - it was a much higher mileage recommendation than I expected. But if your car is out of warranty then you'll get nowhere making a claim with Audi that the belt snapped way before it was due to be replaced. And a snapped timing belt often means a bent valve or worse a damaged piston crown = expensive. I'd advise getting it changed for peace of mind.

The mileage for timing belts is higher than I would be comfortable with at 115k miles. Use age rather than the mileage as an indicator, which is every 5 years. Importantly, the water pump and tensioner should be done at the same time.

Regards your predicament - even without the log book, do they know where it was serviced when they owned it? If it was a VAG dealer - then they will have an electronic record. If in doubt, change it is my advice.

Hi :sm4:,

I asked the question a few weeks ago for my 2015 A4 Allroad. The Audi service book says 130,000 miles, but didn't say how many years ?? I contacted Audi, and they told me the book is correct at 130,000 miles or 5 years, which ever comes sooner. Most seem to agree on here, 5 years is a good time to change it, along with the water pump.

As others will tell you, it really isn't worth the risk of not having it done at the correct mileage / time interval.

How about checking the belt on your car......many people use aftermarket parts for service to keep costs down. If you have an aftermarket belt on your car, that would suggest it's been done, if it's a genuine Audi belt it may be the original ?? Bit of a long shot I know, but maybe worth a try ??

As an aside........I can't believe people don't keep receipts / service records to prove to future owners a car has been looked after. I keep all information on every vehicle I own. I believe it helps make the sale. Maybe the fact yours hasn't got any service info, indicates it hasn't been looked after properly ?? (Just sayin', no offence intended :sm4:)

Reactions: audiwaterpump
Lost the service book, usually means they haven't serviced it.

Personally, I'd get it changed, and the water pump if you are planning on keeping the car long term.
I believe Audi say 100,000 miles, but they take no responsibility if it snaps, so it doesn't mean sh+t.
It's all about how much risk you want to live with.