2012 A6 Avant S line Purchase

GlasgowCycle

Reaction score
Hi, I have an 04 A4 avant TDI Quattro that I've had for nearly 9 years. It's been a great servant but it's time for something new.

I've decided that with 2 kids getting bigger and the A4 about to be updated I fancy an A6 Avant S Line.

My budget is around a 2012 model. I've seen a few but one being offered is the right colour (Daytona Grey) with all the right extras, it's just the mileage 48,000 is quite high for a 2 yr old car. Is there anything I should be concerned about mechanically? I would expect it's all audi service but will know more on that soon. I expect to keep the car for 5 years min and only drive about 10-12000 a year.

Hi, I have an 04 A4 avant TDI Quattro that I've had for nearly 9 years. It's been a great servant but it's time for something new.

I've decided that with 2 kids getting bigger and the A4 about to be updated I fancy an A6 Avant S Line.

My budget is around a 2012 model. I've seen a few but one being offered is the right colour (Daytona Grey) with all the right extras, it's just the mileage 48,000 is quite high for a 2 yr old car. Is there anything I should be concerned about mechanically? I would expect it's all audi service but will know more on that soon. I expect to keep the car for 5 years min and only drive about 10-12000 a year.

If it has a full Audi service history and looks well looked after then it should be fine. Arguably an engine with 48000 miles is only just run in and a high mileage car will probably have done mostly motorway miles which are much less stressful. You don't say if it is manual or auto and also what engine size. If it is a non-quattro auto then it will have the multitronic box and you need to make sure it has had a gearbox oil change. If it is manual or quattro auto then not an issue. Also make sure it has a decent warranty, if something does go wrong it can be expensive. The final part of the original warranty will last until 2015 but only to 60k miles. Also worth asking for a sat nav map update as part of the deal

If it has a full Audi service history and looks well looked after then it should be fine. Arguably an engine with 48000 miles is only just run in and a high mileage car will probably have done mostly motorway miles which are much less stressful. You don't say if it is manual or auto and also what engine size. If it is a non-quattro auto then it will have the multitronic box and you need to make sure it has had a gearbox oil change. If it is manual or quattro auto then not an issue. Also make sure it has a decent warranty, if something does go wrong it can be expensive. The final part of the original warranty will last until 2015 but only to 60k miles. Also worth asking for a sat nav map update as part of the deal

Thanks Elan, Thats really helpful.

It's 2.0TDI engine and a manual. I would have liked another quattro but I've yet to see a 2.0TDI S line with the quattro in the C7 S line around 2012/2013 models. I suppose for an upgrade from my old A4 to a newer model and bigger car I'd have to compromise somewhere.

The car is being sourced from someone who has access to the audi disposal auctions so think the car is a lease or fleet car. I have been assured these are all audi serviced and as you say warranty until May 15 or 60,000 miles (current 48,000). I only drive around 10,000 a year, so, my thought was after 5 years of ownership the mileage would be more in line with about 15,000 a year on a 7 yr old car.

I'm not sure I can get a sat nav update but can i get that done outwith the rip off dealer network?
I'm also keen to get a DAB (BBC6 music fan) and have noticed a few different options. I suppose I need to find out if the Sat Nav is the RMC (SD card) or the HDD version first.

My budget is around a 2012 model. I've seen a few but one being offered is the right colour (Daytona Grey) with all the right extras, it's just the mileage 48,000 is quite high for a 2 yr old car. Is there anything I should be concerned about mechanicaly? I would expect it's all audi service but will know more on that soon. I expect to keep the car for 5 years min and only drive about 10-12000 a year.

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Im taking it from your name your based in Glasgow? Good luck with getting the right car for you. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Thanks Elan, Thats really helpful.

It's 2.0TDI engine and a manual. I would have liked another quattro but I've yet to see a 2.0TDI S line with the quattro in the C7 S line around 2012/2013 models. I suppose for an upgrade from my old A4 to a newer model and bigger car I'd have to compromise somewhere.

The car is being sourced from someone who has access to the audi disposal auctions so think the car is a lease or fleet car. I have been assured these are all audi serviced and as you say warranty until May 15 or 60,000 miles (current 48,000). I only drive around 10,000 a year, so, my thought was after 5 years of ownership the mileage would be more in line with about 15,000 a year on a 7 yr old car.

I'm not sure I can get a sat nav update but can i get that done outwith the rip off dealer network?
I'm also keen to get a DAB (BBC6 music fan) and have noticed a few different options. I suppose I need to find out if the Sat Nav is the RMC (SD card) or the HDD version first.

No 2.0 Quattro on the C7 (or C6 for that matter). You may need to check the car is still eligible for the 3rd year of warranty as it is dealer backed not manufacturer and requires Audi dealer service etc. Probably OK but worth checking and also probably worth looking at what the cost of a dealer supplied extended warranty would be as repairs can get very expensive if something goes wrong (especially with the MMI unit) and third party warranties may not cover these items. Your logic on miles and age makes sense.

DAB was an option on cars prior to May 2013 so it will be pot luck if you have it or not. Kufatec do a retrofit option but it is seen by the system as an additional media source rather than as an alternative wave band. You also lose the auto switching from DAB to FM and back.

Sat nav update of either type requires a dealer visit (needs factory data connection to activate it). Recently quoted c£170 for the SD card update on my car so decided to stick with what I have

No 2.0 Quattro on the C7 (or C6 for that matter). You may need to check the car is still eligible for the 3rd year of warranty as it is dealer backed not manufacturer and requires Audi dealer service etc. Probably OK but worth checking and also probably worth looking at what the cost of a dealer supplied extended warranty would be as repairs can get very expensive if something goes wrong (especially with the MMI unit) and third party warranties may not cover these items. Your logic on miles and age makes sense.

DAB was an option on cars prior to May 2013 so it will be pot luck if you have it or not. Kufatec do a retrofit option but it is seen by the system as an additional media source rather than as an alternative wave band. You also lose the auto switching from DAB to FM and back.

Sat nav update of either type requires a dealer visit (needs factory data connection to activate it). Recently quoted c£170 for the SD card update on my car so decided to stick with what I have

Thanks, I'll look into that warranty and if I can get it extended.

I've been told that the car has what was called 'Tech Pack Low'
Input Medium for Multimedia
Mobile phone prep
Navigation system (low)

Now I assume that means it will have bluetooth connect for my phone and to play music through bluetooth?
That it has (or can be added) an ipod connection?
With Nav low is that the SD nav or the HDD nav?

Thanks for all the info so far

Thanks, I'll look into that warranty and if I can get it extended.

I've been told that the car has what was called 'Tech Pack Low'
Input Medium for Multimedia
Mobile phone prep
Navigation system (low)

Now I assume that means it will have bluetooth connect for my phone and to play music through bluetooth?
That it has (or can be added) an ipod connection?
With Nav low is that the SD nav or the HDD nav?

Thanks for all the info so far
So that is basically the out of the box car, so that will give you RMC Sat Nav (SD card based system), 3.5mm jack in the arm rest as an audio input into MMI, Bluetooth Phone and audio streaming from phone via Bluetooth. With Bluetooth audio you get very limited control of what is playing via the MMI system, basically just next track, previous track, play and pause and you do not get track names. Sekecting playlists etc needs to be done from the device. AMI can be added (again Kufatec do a kit) and my car had this done when I got it new because the dealer could not source one with AMI quick enough to meet his needs. You have 2 SD card slots, one is used for the Sat Nav, so you may find that loading an SD card with all your music etc is just as good as having AMI. Many posts on the internet as to how to format a card with more than 32Gb space so it can be used (card needs to be FAT32 formatted)

Thanks, so a DAB upgrade will be more difficult then? The Kufutec with non FM/DAB switching is my only option?

The AMI sounds a good add on for bluetooth playback but an SD with bigger memory for my music might be the best option (cheaper too)

The audio input in the arm rest wont give any information on the tracks etc on the display from an ipod either i'd imagine?

Looking at the SD for music option do you know if there is a limit to the size of SD card this model of A6 will take?
There are some 64GB SD cards available that would allow all my music to be stored on it?

Looking at the SD for music option do you know if there is a limit to the size of SD card this model of A6 will take?
There are some 64GB SD cards available that would allow all my music to be stored on it?
In theory it is 32Gb (limit of FAT32), however there are ways of configuring larger cards in FAT32 format so you definitely go for 64Gb and be fine. There are also some issues regarding invisible files being added to the card if you are using a Mac rather than a Windows machine to transfer the music. Also if you add the album artwork then it will display on the MMI screen. All of this has been discussed at length on the C7 board on VWAudiforum.co.uk and I sure elsewhere

Back on the hunt I've noticed a 2012 2.0TDI in Multitronic.
Having done some searching there seems to have been a lot of issues with this auto box but possibly on older models? It also seems to deliver less MPG. Is this fair and best to look for manual 2.0TDi'?

Secured a 2012 Midnight Blue A6 S line 2.0 tdi manual, with DAB, Sat Nav, Heated Seats, Leather and all the usual extras today.
Delighted to have found one and surprised that I went for a dark metallic blue after years of silver and grey cars.
My only upgrade might be from the 18" alloys to 19" but I'll see how I go with it for a while before changing.
Thanks for the input on the thread and no doubt I'll have loads more questions in the near future

Look out for the 204PS 3.0 as they do that in quattro and it's a great compromise option if you want the lower costs of a the 2.0 and quattro.

multitronic is on all fwd auto's - they're a LOT better since the <2007 teethign issues, but I wouldn't touch them personally.