2011 A3 S-Line TDI-Dreaded rear wiper issue-part source?

StreetTriple

Reaction score
My car has started displaying the typical dreaded rear wiper issue-switching on all by itself, rusty water and leaking into the boot.

Looking for any feedback on source of parts.

eBay £40 no idea of manufacturer.

eBay £59 part made by same manufacturer as Audi (Valeo)

£90 genuine from local stealer.

Anyone got any experience with the cheaper of the 2 examples?
Recommendations?
Thanks

IMG 1737
Forget about getting an 'Audi' one from a main dealer , unless you like wasting money,lol.
They sell Valeo ones in a Genuine Parts box that's all!
The Valeo ones are what the cars come from the factory with anyway.
When my wiper went last summer my replacement was a Valeo service replacement sourced from Amazon at about £62, so,if you can get it for £59 that's a good price.
Above is a picture of the box mine came in, it's Valeo Part No 579603.
Personally I wouldn't fit anything other than a Valeo, the cheaper ones are rubbish, I read on one thread here recently where someone bought a no-brand replacement from Euro Car Parts and it didn't work properly and was noisy so it was returned.....
My new wiper motor was identical in every way to the broken 2006 wiper motor that came off.

Last edited:
I've recently bought one for mine and I got a Valeo from eBay for £55-60 can't remember exactly. Don't bother with cheaper ones, got one for my last car and it started smoking after 5 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 car, that wiper motor didn't last long. Yer can't repair it, just change it for the Valeo as above.

Thanks guys I'll go for the valeo one. Yeah that's what I was thinking 6 years and it's leaking! Saying that it only started yesterday but I want to try and make sure the boot lock doesn't go on the blink-so I have stripped it already.

Any advice for removing the rear wiper arm? It's well stuck-guess I'll order a puller..any tips?

You could try penetrating fluid (not WD40), a spray now again and it might pull off. Other than that it's a mini puller. When fitting the new one put a smear of copper grease around the splines,

Undo the nut first then hacksaw the splined shaft off, just under the arm itself. Easiest and quickest.

Never thought of that then hammer the remaining part out once it's off the car???

I agree that 6 years or so is bad.....if you're lucky then you can get 10 years life out of them!
I found the job of getting the wiper arm off the shaft almost impossible without a small puller as the wiper spindle is splined and once the wiper arm is bolted on it really doesn't want to come off again!
Even with the puller it takes a surprising amount of force and can break free with quite a bang, in my experience anyway.
Mine is this one, it works really well once you've put some insulation tape around the jaws to stop damage to base of the metal wiper arm.....
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht...GS-040211436&gclid=CO6bp_vXktICFaO17QoddqsDag

That's the one I was looking at.

There are two types and the smaller one seems a bit more limited in its uses and also think I'd snap the plastic grip off trying to tighten it.

Well ordered an original Valdeo from eBay £55 delivered and an easy swap.

I opened the faulty one and this is what it looked like inside.....

[/URL]

Thanks again for everyone's advice and suggestions!!

Last edited:
Mine is a 2011, I must admit I've never checked it. I might have a mooch this weekend. Is the swap easy? (I also don't get any spray out fo the rear wiper when I try it, which I haven't for months...)

The swap is simple - remove the tailgate cover (4 torxs screws) and remove the wiper arm 1x13mm nut. Then there are 3 nuts that actually hold the motor on.

The only issue is I couldn't get the wiper arm off the splined shaft. A small puller from
eBay sorted that really easily.

Dead easy and worth it to have it work again. If it's leaking and you leave it it can kill your boot lock as the water dribbles down onto that-which will give you more problems later.

Mine is a 2011, I must admit I've never checked it. I might have a mooch this weekend. Is the swap easy? (I also don't get any spray out fo the rear wiper when I try it, which I haven't for months...)

To get spraying, take the wiper arm base cap off and clean the jet washer part with a safety pin or similar... If not, that part is cheap as at a dealer. If that doesn't work, new motor.

Thanks guys, I' going to have a mooch about over the next few days, I might even take the cover off and see what's going on underneath...