1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

2011 a3 s line smoke query

Mark1984 Aug 14, 2019

1. Mark1984

Mark1984 Registered User

Hi there, I’ve got a 2011 a3 s line tdi and I noticed today that just before the turbo is about to kick in there’s a small touch of smoke coming from the exhaust for a second then stops. Doesn’t happen all the time but I noticed it a few times pulling out at junctions as soon as I was in 2nd gear or 3rd it would happen. Can anyone give me some advice on this please

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Scotty75

Scotty75 Well-Known Member Silver Supporter

When you say smoke , is it white , blue or black ? Losing any coolant ?

4. Mark1984

Mark1984 Registered User

It’s a more a black colour pal. My little brother is a mechanic and has had vag cars for years and he said it’s like a dpf filter just needs a clean but I’m 74 miles on the motorway every day so should be clean?

5. Scotty75

Scotty75 Well-Known Member Silver Supporter

If be inclined to agree with your mate . DPF's do clog up , even with regen cycles . The regen cycles help to reduce build up and your 74 miles will definitely trigger a good regen cycle.

However the DPF is still just a filter and over time any filter is going to need a deep clean or replacement . It's the Achilles heel of modern diesel engines if you ask me .

I've heard good things about Teraclean , that may be with trying . I think a full system clean is about £300. Cheaper than replacing a DPF.