2010 S4 avant reversing sensor issue

smurftech

Reaction score
My 2010 S4 avant only has the standard rear reversing sensors, however something is amiss with them.

When engaging reverse I only get 1 long beep then nothing as car moves closer to wall, they're supposed to get shorter and more frequent as you get closer I would have thought...?

I can change the volume and tone of the reverse noise in the car menu.

Going back into reverse again there's nothing, not even the long beep.

No messages on dash etc.

Could this be a sensor or module or something else?

Cheers
Dave

Really, you are “shooting into the darkness” if you do not have a scan tool to assist your fault finding. VCDS and some others inc dealer’s. kit should identify which sensor or if it is wiring, that is wrong. Buying a single genuine sensor and swopping i5 for each one will work if all the wiring etc is okay.

Reactions: smurftech and JohnS3
Worth spraying WD40 into each sensor to see if it will displace any water. It sorted mine out, although I suspect it may come back again eventually.

Reactions: smurftech
Many many people have said that all you need to do is to get your parking system switched on and place your ear to each sensor, the good ones will make a slight noise, the duff ones will be quiet. A good plan maybe, but I've never ever got any sounds out of these sensors on any of my VW Group cars - I even bought a second Mechanics Stethoscope as this second one had a softish rubbery trumpet that I could place over each sensor in turn - as opposed to the usual aluminium rod used for placing on hard engine etc surfaces - absolutely no sound at all.

So, has anyone ever managed to detect clicking/chirping from their parking sensors when they are switched on? Another way was supposed to be to wet them and place a finger pad on the patch of water and you should be able to feel clicking/chirping - again, for me that failed!

Edit:- though remember the above testing method will only ever work if the parking system is still allowing the sensors to be switched on, some sensor faults will cause the parking system controller to shut down the power out to these sensors.