2010 AUDI S3 Coming/Leaving Home Lights Not Working?

Omy193

Reaction score
Evening all,

Recently purchased a 2010 Audi S3 and for the life of me cannot get the coming/leaving home lights to work

They are both enable from within the DIS menu and I have also gone over the options from within VCDS and everything looks good but for some reason they just do not work?

I have also noticed that when the headlight switch is set to Auto, the headlights are always on even during the day which is quite annoying

Any input is much appreciated.

thanks

Do you have vcds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Omy193 and Daveyonthemove
Do you have the switch next to the DRL switch?
On mine there is a little 'dial' for the DRL to be turned on, and next to it is a push button switch for the Coming Home lights. This has to be turned on, indicated with a red LED.

However, it sounds like your headlights may have been activated as the DRL's so the coming home lights may also have been deactivated in VCDS.

On mine there is a little 'dial' for the DRL to be turned on, and next to it is a push button switch for the Coming Home lights. This has to be turned on, indicated with a red LED.

However, it sounds like your headlights may have been activated as the DRL's so the coming home lights may also have been deactivated in VCDS.

I know there is a tick box in vcds for (I think it was) adaptive lights, i unticked this and my headlights stayed on in auto mode, i was playing around when I set my rear lights to come on as DRL’s,

Reactions: Omy193
I know there is a tick box in vcds for (I think it was) adaptive lights, i unticked this and my headlights stayed on in auto mode, i was playing around when I set my rear lights to come on as DRL’s,

I saw those options too, but only selected the Euro mode for DRL's which turned on the rear lights.
Decided not to alter anything else.

Reactions: Abi
When set to zero do they still come on during daylight.

Adaptive headlights are for turning corners with lights curving, shouldn't affect auto mode.

Adaptive headlights are for turning corners with lights curving, shouldn't affect auto mode.

That’s what I thought, so unticked it, checked the car and headlights were on in auto, so I re ticked it and they worked properly, it must over ride the light sensor or something so the c/h l/h lights might not work either, can’t test this theory as I’m at girlfriends all week and don’t have my laptop with me.

I would suggest checking if that box is ticked

My headlight switch doesn’t have the button.
My previous 2004 audi a3 had that button, i was under the impression facelift 8p’s never had it?

I will check through vcds again to see if headlights are enabled as drls but im certain coming home was enabled hence the options within DIS

I would suggest checking if that box is ticked

I'll go through vcds again tomorrow in detail and see

Im wondering if the car doesn't have CH/LH functionality and if somebody had maybe just enabled the options via vcds in the past
I hope that isn't the case as I'll be very disappointed that a 2010 facelift S3 doesn't have ch/lh lights!

Apologise, I have found a couple of photos I took while doing vcds changes, it’s not adaptive lights that once unticked puts the headlights on permanently it’s ‘Assistances driving lights’, also check if headlights have been ticked to be used as DRL’s (see pictures of how mine is set)
Out of curiosity have you activated or are cornering lights activated? If so do they work at night?
b110dd4b3873b76e441601e15a009e0b.jpg
76db28be467ed9bfe9df41938ed4db92.jpg

Apologies again

Apologise, I have found a couple of photos I took while doing vcds changes, it’s not adaptive lights that once unticked puts the headlights on permanently it’s ‘Assistances driving lights’, also check if headlights have been ticked to be used as DRL’s (see pictures of how mine is set)
Out of curiosity have you activated or are cornering lights activated? If so do they work at night?
b110dd4b3873b76e441601e15a009e0b.jpg
76db28be467ed9bfe9df41938ed4db92.jpg

Apologies again

I will check through vcds shortly and see what is going on.
Cornering lights were enabled when I got the car and yes the fogs would turn on when turning left or right but i have disabled them as im not a fan lol

So I’ve double checked through the options in vcds and from what I can see CH/LH lights are definitely activated and theres no reason as to why the headlights are on during the day when switch is on AUTO

Attached below some pictures from vcds if anyone can decipher them:

061b4170a5685dd216b81c29da3112fd.jpg

147bd0f60625fa3c95a02a2e2247d1f2.jpg

b665eabf422646ad3d848bfdf903eddb.jpg

ac66400a4a621727b50257327d4f5c04.jpg

7181d7440ed1ed2f72210f4d91de92c6.jpg

So I’ve double checked through the options in vcds and from what I can see CH/LH lights are definitely activated and theres no reason as to why the headlights are on during the day when switch is on AUTO

Attached below some pictures from vcds if anyone can decipher them:

061b4170a5685dd216b81c29da3112fd.jpg

147bd0f60625fa3c95a02a2e2247d1f2.jpg

b665eabf422646ad3d848bfdf903eddb.jpg

ac66400a4a621727b50257327d4f5c04.jpg

7181d7440ed1ed2f72210f4d91de92c6.jpg

Yer, In your last photo
In Byte 17 tick bit 4 Assistance Driving Light active,
bit 3 tick CH via fog lights active
Do one at a time and make a note of original code or photograph as I do prior to changes.
Bit 4 should turn off your headlights in daylight.

Can you show a picture of Byte 11 pls

Yer, In your last photo
Do one at a time and make a note of original code or photograph as I do prior to changes.

Ok thanks I’ll try that.
Im not home until the evening now so will check then.

I had an Audi A4 last year and un-checked foglights as CH/LH as I found just the Sidelights as Ch/LH looked better, so I did the same on the S3 hoping just the led strips would come on but no lights come on at all

Ok thanks I’ll try that.
Im not home until the evening now so will check then.

I had an Audi A4 last year and un-checked foglights as CH/LH as I found just the Sidelights as Ch/LH looked better, so I did the same on the S3 hoping just the led strips would come on but no lights come on at all

Too be honest I’m not sure if that’s possible on our year A3, only fog lights, although somebody will probably prove me wrong though haha

Yer, In your last photo

So after ticking bit 4 in byte 17 my CH/LH lights now work!!!
Thank you very much for that!
As i left bit 3 (foglights as ch/lh) un-checked my headlights are used as ch/lh (drl strips + dipped beam) which im happy with!

Unsure if my headlights will be off during the day when on Auto as its gone dark now so they’re on by default.

But atleast the ch/lh are working now so once again, thanks for that! :D

Picture of byte 11 attached:
f44889588271e4e8c9321df9b1a63d7b.jpg

So after ticking bit 4 in byte 17 my CH/LH lights now work!!!
Thank you very much for that!
As i left bit 3 (foglights as ch/lh) un-checked my headlights are used as ch/lh (drl strips + dipped beam) which im happy with!

Unsure if my headlights will be off during the day when on Auto as its gone dark now so they’re on by default.

But atleast the ch/lh are working now so once again, thanks for that! :D

Picture of byte 11 attached:
f44889588271e4e8c9321df9b1a63d7b.jpg

Glad you sorted so far, think you will find your headlights will be off now in daylight, please will you confirm this tomorrow, as I’d like to know the outcome too

Glad you sorted so far, think you will find your headlights will be off now in daylight, please will you confirm this tomorrow, as I’d like to know the outcome too

Think I’ll unticked Byte 17 bit 3 too, see how mine reacts lol

Think I’ll unticked Byte 17 bit 3 too, see how mine reacts lol

Sure thing, I definitely will update.

I tried shining the torch from my phone onto the light sensor thats on the windscreen to test if the lights would go out but that didnt work lol
So will confirm tomorrow morning / day time

I can confirm that the headlights are now off during the day! :icon thumright:

Thanks to @Abi for all your support!

If anyone else has a similar issue in regards to CH/LH and headlights always on then: "In Byte 17 tick bit 4 Assistance Driving Light active"

Thanks again! :rockwoot:

I can confirm that the headlights are now off during the day! :icon thumright:

Thanks to @Abi for all your support!

If anyone else has a similar issue in regards to CH/LH and headlights always on then: "In Byte 17 tick bit 4 Assistance Driving Light active"

Thanks again! :rockwoot:

Your welcome, glad your all sorted, glad I could help out

Heres a couple pics of the front end with just the DRL’s with headlight switch in Auto

4f8da4eecbdcde56c60ff56e2c2445ed.jpg

5864d7b2b7f6ac753ca482f64f36ee04.jpg

Heres a couple pics of the front end with just the DRL’s with headlight switch in Auto

4f8da4eecbdcde56c60ff56e2c2445ed.jpg

5864d7b2b7f6ac753ca482f64f36ee04.jpg

I’ll see what mine does on Thursday once home once bit 3 is unchecked as I don’t have LED’s on mine, I do although have amber DRL’s
eae36f15de9997b0f1f3516ca83b3988.jpg

I’ll see what mine does on Thursday once home once bit 3 is unchecked as I don’t have LED’s on mine, I do although have amber DRL’s

Love an A3 in red!
I had a 3.2 V6 DSG Sportback last year. Did some crazy mods/retrofits to it, check the link in my sig for some ideas

Love an A3 in red!
I had a 3.2 V6 DSG Sportback last year. Did some crazy mods/retrofits to it, check the link in my sig for some ideas

Love red too,

I will have a look later,

I’ve not done much really, just Cruise Control and rear DRL’s and obviously a few tweaks with vcds, oh, and a bluefin remap.

Love red too,

I will have a look later,

I’ve not done much really, just Cruise Control and rear DRL’s and obviously a few tweaks with vcds, oh, and a bluefin remap.

Ah right fair enough
I went all out with my one last year. Bought it as a standard 54reg, did a full 2012 conversion inside out including fitting in a panroof
aa5d11ae8c3eda648c60aa415b2b00f1.jpg

Ah right fair enough
I went all out with my one last year. Bought it as a standard 54reg, did a full 2012 conversion inside out including fitting in a panroof
aa5d11ae8c3eda648c60aa415b2b00f1.jpg

Looks good, so how come you sold it?

Looks good, so how come you sold it?

Done all I had planned for it + more.
Got bored of it and being a 3.2 wasnt cost effective to use as a daily anymore.
Plus I change my cars quite often, more chance of seeing me in the same clothes than the same car

I’ve now unchecked bit 3 on Abi (my car) and now the headlights are used as C/H L/H lights, much brighter, so leaving it like that