2010 Audi A3 2.0TFSi (8P1 Chassis) - Emissions Control System warning light permanently illuminated

OT334

Reaction score
Hi guys, I hope the festive season is treating everyone well! I’m hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this issue, or at least suggest on how best to proceed.

The car - 2010 Audi A3 2.0TFSi (8P1 Chassis)

The backstory - I returned to my car after work about a month back, turned the key, and straight away could tell that it sounded all wrong. Didn’t want to risk driving it, so I had the car towed to Audi. It turned out that a timing belt issue had caused everything to get out of sync, which caused a bunch of valves to bend, and one of the cylinders to crack. I ended up needing to replace the whole engine. Spent a month fighting with Audi to get the price down, arguing that the timing belt shouldn’t have had an issue (having only done 55k miles at that point, and having been serviced 3 times in the last 10k miles).

The issue - I finally got the car back about a week ago, and all was fine for a while (engine sounding great, no warning lights showing). But then I started her up last night and saw a warning light appear, and remain constantly illuminated on the dash after the rest of the lights had gone out. Had a flick through the owners manual and it seems to be the Emissions Control System light, and it suggests driving the car slowly to a qualified technician to have the problem looked at. It suggests that any other actions may cause serious damage to the exhaust system/catalytic converter. The car sounded fine - no noticeable strange noises.

It seems all too convenient that this issue appears just after Audi have carried out such extensive work on the car, and it cost me enough to replace the engine. I don’t fancy forking out more to fix yet another issue.

Does this sound like something Audi may have caused by incorrectly connecting something up while fitting the new engine? How best to proceed from here on out? Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have, and Merry Christmas!

Ollie

Last edited:
If you can get a hold off someone who has Vcd's you will be able to tell what error code appears and then you can do either off 3 tbings ( 1 ) clear the code drive the car for a little while plug bk in the Vcd's and check again or (2) go to an independant garage and get them to do an emissions test on your car ( get car engine well heated first ) (3) it could be a sensor that Audi have accidently hit causing the light to come on . Hope this helps

CCZA engine? It's chain driven cams. There's been a few where the chain has jumped a few cogs due to the chain tensioner failing.
Yes, definitely go back the Audi may just be a loose bit of wiring or plug. You paid enough I guess for the new engine so let them sort it out.