2010 A3 Technik aux in iPod issues

timbabz

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the aux input on an Audi A3 Sportback technik. It’s the version where the aux is located by the handbrake under a small cap.

I have a concert 2+ double din with Bose and single CD. No sat nav etc.

I have tried a couple of 2015 iPod nanos in the input and neither do anything. Literally nothing happens on the iPod or the head unit. I have pushed the CD button twice on the head unit and the aux in comes up on the display - but that’s all.

I was wondering if anyone knew the issue, maybe the iPods are too new!? Maybe an earlier one would work?

in my handbook it says the CD can be an mp3 with loads of albums but I can’t get this to work either!! I burn the MP3’s to the disc and it comes up with ‘not recognized’.

Also, if anyone knows of an aftermarket ‘straight swap stereo’ that I could replace the stock one with that has iPod and possibly DAB that would be great!

any help would be very appreciated as I have just bought the car and can’t play music!

thank you in advance!

Maybe the previous owner had a RNS-E unit in there and swapped it out before selling. Have you pulled the unit out and made sure the aux is actually plugged in ? or maybe if the unit is a replacement it might need coding. as for aftermarket head units anything double din should work. check out car audio direct, they have many different units that will have dab,bluetooth etc. all depends on your budget.

Reactions: timbabz
If the AUX is actually plugged in it needs VCDS coding before it will work.

Models 2003-2009 (Radio gen 2 "concert", "chorus", "symphony")
[56-Radio]
[Coding-07]
0?x0xxx
+1 Analog input AUX
+2 MFSW Steerwingwheel
+4 Telephone

Models 2003 and up (RNS-e)
[37-Navigation]
[Coding-07]
xxxxx?x: Raise value with 4

Maybe the previous owner had a RNS-E unit in there and swapped it out before selling. Have you pulled the unit out and made sure the aux is actually plugged in ? or maybe if the unit is a replacement it might need coding. as for aftermarket head units anything double din should work. check out car audio direct, they have many different units that will have dab,bluetooth etc. all depends on your budget.

thanks for the reply! Yeah you could be onto something there. I will pull the unit out and see if it’s connected. I appreciate your help!

If the AUX is actually plugged in it needs VCDS coding before it will work.

Models 2003-2009 (Radio gen 2 "concert", "chorus", "symphony")
[56-Radio]
[Coding-07]
0?x0xxx
+1 Analog input AUX
+2 MFSW Steerwingwheel
+4 Telephone

Models 2003 and up (RNS-e)
[37-Navigation]
[Coding-07]
xxxxx?x: Raise value with 4

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate you adding this info, but I’m not gonna lie it could be in Chinese for all I know! I’m really bad at the technical side of things. It’s probably very straight forward but I literally don’t have a clue! Thank you for your help!

Reactions: henkkeumus
Thanks for the reply! I appreciate you adding this info, but I’m not gonna lie it could be in Chinese for all I know! I’m really bad at the technical side of things. It’s probably very straight forward but I literally don’t have a clue! Thank you for your help!

In that case I reckon you don't have a VCDS/VAGCOM cable.
You probably gonna need one to code your ECU (computer in the car).

I'm located in Holland unfortunatly so I can't help you with that.
Hit someone up in the VAGCOM subtopic to help you out, it's litteraly a 2 minute job for somebody with the appropriate gear :).

Tha
In that case I reckon you don't have a VCDS/VAGCOM cable.
You probably gonna need one to code your ECU (computer in the car).

I'm located in Holland unfortunatly so I can't help you with that.
Hit someone up in the VAGCOM subtopic to help you out, it's litteraly a 2 minute job for somebody with the appropriate gear :).
thank you again! I really appreciate your help! I will ask around and read up on it!

There’s plenty of things on here regarding coding the aux or even if it was coded for the end-e it would of had a different plug put on. The aux plug for rns-e and concert head units are different so would need changing over. It’s really easy to do yourself.

There’s plenty of things on here regarding coding the aux or even if it was coded for the end-e it would of had a different plug put on. The aux plug for rns-e and concert head units are different so would need changing over. It’s really easy to do yourself.

thank you for your help and advice I’m going to trawl through this forum and find as much as I can. I just spoke to the guy I bought it off and he says he never changed stereo and it’s as fitted by factory. So would it be a coding issue still? Or maybe just too new iPod for the aux input? Thank you!

Also wondering if anyone out there knows if swapping the standard single loading double din concert 2+ CD player with an Audi original one with Dab and sat nav is easy?

thanks!

Your antenna system differs depending on the model year of the vehicle... so swapping can easily become a bigger job and if it works right now just find someone to fix the aux issue

Why don't you try another phone / mp3 player to see if it's the aux or the ipod. Also, make sure you've turned the volume up on the ipod after you've plugged it in. What type of cable are you using?

Why don't you try another phone / mp3 player to see if it's the aux or the ipod. Also, make sure you've turned the volume up on the ipod after you've plugged it in. What type of cable are you using?

yeah I think I will definitely try a different iPod. Just trying to get my hands on one. I’m using a lightning to 3/4 jack which should be the right cable, just does nothing.

thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

I would recommend connecting someone elses phone that has a 3.5mm port directly to your car aux connector as there are lots of possible issues with non-certified lightning cables etc... and you need to determine if it's a car or phone/cable issue first.

If it had an rns beforehand, it would have a 32 pin grey connector behind the head unit loose, if not then auxin plugs in to the quadlock with yellow, grey & green wires with a black ground, goes into 1 of the 12 way connectors part of the quadlock.

Could be your adapter, volume level on the iPod, auxin socket connector come loose, few things all of which can be resolved.

If you get stuck & need it looked at, WhatsApp me.

I would recommend connecting someone elses phone that has a 3.5mm port directly to your car aux connector as there are lots of possible issues with non-certified lightning cables etc... and you need to determine if it's a car or phone/cable issue first.
Thank you for your advice! I agree that I need to rule out a cable issue before I dig too deep. I appreciate your help.

Reactions: nluk100
If it had an rns beforehand, it would have a 32 pin grey connector behind the head unit loose, if not then auxin plugs in to the quadlock with yellow, grey & green wires with a black ground, goes into 1 of the 12 way connectors part of the quadlock.

Could be your adapter, volume level on the iPod, auxin socket connector come loose, few things all of which can be resolved.

If you get stuck & need it looked at, WhatsApp me.
Thanks for taking the time to give me this detailed advice, it’s very much appreciated. I’m going to keep delving into this and if I get stuck I may have to take you up in your offer. Thanks a lot!

Reactions: NHN