2010 A3 Sline Knock

TFSI

Born to Fish
Reaction score
Something i have been meaning to get an answer to for a very long time................ But never seemed to get around to it...............

Everytime i apply the handbrake and switch off the ignitionon my 9 month old A3...........after a slight pause........i can hear this feint knock, knock, knock, it occurs for about 10 seconds as if something is ratcheting itself up. Could it be the EBS applying the handbrake more securely ??? Its deffo an electrically orientated knock.

No probs with it .........just curious and its not been back to Audi for me to ask the question yet.

On another note after 9 months !!!!!! What is this stupid stop/start system all about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Save fuel i hear you say!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beat the crap outta your battery and starter motor i would say..............Legislation....................What a load of clap trap.

Battery and starter motor are designed around start stop so shouldn't be a problem. If it annoys you then turn it off.... We have it on our Mini Cooper and I don't take any notice of it after a while.

As for the noise, don't know. Wouldn't of thought it's the handbrake though....

dont know if its the same sort of noise but when i turn off my engine after a few seconds i can hear a electronic noise from under the bonnet i found out the other day its the flap on the throttle body moving after turn off , where is your noise front, back , middle ,right side left side some more info would be good

had this with my old car. park the car, open the bonnet then whilst looking and listening carefully ask a friend to turn off the ignition. mine turned out to be a twig caught in the radiator fan

Something i have been meaning to get an answer to for a very long time................ But never seemed to get around to it...............

Everytime i apply the handbrake and switch off the ignitionon my 9 month old A3...........after a slight pause........i can hear this feint knock, knock, knock, it occurs for about 10 seconds as if something is ratcheting itself up. Could it be the EBS applying the handbrake more securely ??? Its deffo an electrically orientated knock.

No probs with it .........just curious and its not been back to Audi for me to ask the question yet.

On another note after 9 months !!!!!! What is this stupid stop/start system all about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Save fuel i hear you say!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beat the crap outta your battery and starter motor i would say..............Legislation....................What a load of clap trap.

Does it sound as if its coming from the dashboard? Mine make this noise (Like a slapping knocking sound), and im sure its linked to the steering wheel? It's random :/ The start/stop only comes in when youve been driving economically over a period of time ;)

The noise does not change speed it is probably nearer 5 secs than 10 secs and i seem to notice it every time (i think ??) sounds like just behind the instruments or there abouts. Deffo not something in the fan. Its about 10 feint knocks or dull taps over 5-6 seconds

Got me worried now i thought all newer A3's must do it before i came on here. My 05 and 08 A3's never did this and with quite a few stories concerning cars running away on the handbrake i thought maybe a product improvement where EBS pressures the brakes a bit more.

Keep forgetting to overide stop/start it's just a shame it cannot be got rid of by programming.

Cheers guys i might even ring Macc Audi if nobody comes up with an answer on here...........They should know...........Should'nt they !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bl**dy great help you lot are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Somebody must know what this bl**dy knocking noise is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!