2010-2011 RNSe....in a B7?....Shirley Knot.

Wrath

Reaction score
IMG_6800.jpg
IMG_6799.jpg

Last edited:
The two main changes are the acceptance of SDHC cards and the removal of the 512 file limit as well as a higher resolution screen. Managed to find a B7 faceplate on ebay (they are rare!) and got this brand new A3 unit for £430! Took me an hour and a half to swap all the internals over but loving it to bits.

Hi Nathan, nice addition fella. Am wanting to plug in a kufatec harness into the rear of my rnse to enable the aux output. Would you be able to remove the rnse for me to enable me to plug the harness into.

Thanks

Abb

Hi Nathan, nice addition fella. Am wanting to plug in a kufatec harness into the rear of my rnse to enable the aux output. Would you be able to remove the rnse for me to enable me to plug the harness into.

I ended up borrowing a decent set of keys from B5Nut as the ebay ones that came with the adapter didn't remove my Symphony. B5Nut said that the keys I borrowed have never failed so I could remove your unit for you, it'll only take a minute.

Drop me a PM.

Nice work Wrath, is it difficult to do? i.e swap the internals?

I normally shy away from most handson work when I've never done it before. I found a few articles on the Internet but B5Nut gave me the necessary reassurance. It took me an hour and a half as I didn't want to rush anything. Power on the unit, get the screen to lay flat, turn unit off. Remove the three screws at the base of the screen and you have to be very careful with these screws as you are knackered if you balls the screwhead up.

Once they've been removed I took the screws out of the top, bottom and sides, the faceplate comes off and then it's just a matter of taking the layers off to swap over the bits.

Had a couple of issues with the sat nav that were sorted after coding with guidance from Lee (B5Nut). Works a charm and the sound quality is far superior to my Symphony II...oh, yeah.

Last edited:
Hi all here...

i would like to know is this difference also on RNS-E for A6 Audi model??
so that RNS-E 2010 A6 has also MEDIA button and better screen?

the 2010 onwards RNS-E have several other additions, you can use AMI if you want (allows proper Ipod integration! albeit it at another £400 for the AMI unit), faster processors, the older units are much slower!! also you get the nicer chromed buttons which freshen it up loads!! and of course the 32gb SD slots...... all in all a better unit than the older model

I can feel the pain having taken one of these apart myself - my unit on delivery didnt light up in the dark, so had to strip it down and eventually found a bent pin.....sooo nerve racking when you see all the screws on the table :)

Abb, if you follow the diagram on the RNS you'll see its easy enough to wire in the Aux yourself, 3 wires iirc...save spending pointless cash on Kufatec and their silly dreamt up postage costs

the 2010 onwards RNS-E have several other additions, you can use AMI if you want (allows proper Ipod integration! albeit it at another £400 for the AMI unit), faster processors, the older units are much slower!! also you get the nicer chromed buttons which freshen it up loads!! and of course the 32gb SD slots...... all in all a better unit than the older model

I can feel the pain having taken one of these apart myself - my unit on delivery didnt light up in the dark, so had to strip it down and eventually found a bent pin.....sooo nerve racking when you see all the screws on the table :)

Abb, if you follow the diagram on the RNS you'll see its easy enough to wire in the Aux yourself, 3 wires iirc...save spending pointless cash on Kufatec and their silly dreamt up postage costs

Yeap done this a number of times for B7 owners, nice mod tbh.

Only problem is the B7 works on kline & limited can, AMI wont work as it cant be coded into a gateway as such, although I'm still having thoughts on how to achieve this.

and the master has spoken......

then Nige came along and stole my thunder :(

No probs matey, i'll be coming at ya with A6 shizzle soon..... Gonna make like a guinea pig :)

Not true, I've got a 2006 B7 RS4 to which I've retrofitted a 2010+ RNS-E and AMI , see this sticky thread in this forum http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b7-chassis/157429-ami-b7.html

I'm very happy to be proved wrong on this subject, in fairness it was a full year after it was discussed, wiring was researched & differences were there in cars it is officially supported on, was pot luck as we thought it needed a specific gateway based connection along with gateway coding, but proved wrong for the better, nice one PD.

in fairness it was a full year after it was discussed
Sorry, I should have made that point as well.

I had the AMI sitting in my study for a couple of years, there were posts on here and other Audi forums all saying it wouldn't work (and email contact from an engineer at Audi saying the same) before I eventually decided "what the heck" and tried it.

Several other people have now also fitted the AMI to their B7, and it works for all of them.