2010 1.8TFSI Oil Consumption Test Failure, waiting on AUDI UK response

Adamski_A3

Reaction score
Hi

Not long after getting the car I had to report the high level of oil my car was getting through. After various tests Audi have confirmed its failed and have referred it to Audi UK to make a decision on the next cause of action etc. After doing some research I found that this has been a known issue for the 1.8/2.0 TFSI engines which Audi know about but dont seem to acknowledge it as a fault of their own.

In the states they had a class action law suit against them and had to fix everyones cars for free, but in the UK its been getting done on a case by case basis. Some having new piston rings or whole engines for free, others having to pay between 3-6k!

Was wondering if anyone on here has had to go through this at all?

Cheers

Yes there's been a few on ASN but not me. From what I've heard they have more sympathy for full Audi service history cars, and cars under 8 years old which they consider to be the average lifespan of a car. Hope you have good news with a free fix, let us know what transpires.

Reactions: Adamski_A3
Hopefully I'll be OK as the previous owner before me had full audi service history and I just fall under the 8 years. Currently chasing them. Like trying to track down the scarlet pimpernel though to speak to them!

Wasn't this action on the TSI engine and not the TFSI? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure it was the EA888 and not the EA113. Hopefully you get sorted.

Had my 59 plate fixed FOC FWIW

Hi Igooch and fellow audi owners,

What does FWIW mean.

Mine goes into Preston Audi for stage 1 on the 29th June it has six services entries four at Audi and two indie has anyone any dealings with Audi Preston and know what they are like. I spoke to one of the service managers Sally Bruce a nice sounding lady who said to confirm my service history (what she couldn't see) so we could present the package to Audi UK.

Mine is 2010 A3 black edition I have only had it a month from Evans Halshaw Blackpool 71200 miles and runs like a dream but I am afraid of opening it up too much as yet. It required oil after 3 weeks not sure of mileage but put in 3/4 of a litre, then 429 miles later another litre now its 260 miles further on and I now see white smoke from the exhaust so am expecting the oil fill light to come on soon. The ends of the pipes are black and sootied no oil there just dry burnt oil.

I do hope they sort it because I really love the car and no way do I want to get rid just looking forward to be able to rag it a bit confidently. So heres to having the stage two done free or stage three then I have a beautiful Audi A3 for the rest of my life.

Fingers crossed.

Jeffo.

Cheers for any advice dealings with Preston Audi.

FWIW - For what its worth :)

Same symptoms as mine. Had mine done with Audi Manchester. Stockport did not want to know so I went through the oil test twice in the space of 12 months. Consumption was not as bad as your though and mine was low miles (38K) If all else fails take it back to Evan Halshaw, tell them they sold you a defective car and either ask them to stump up the repair bill or get your money back.

I am actually selling my 59 plate black edition (that's been fixed) next week as I picked up another Audi really cheap and could not pass it up.

Have a look at the oil consumption thread on here. Search for 2.0 TFSI Known Oil Consumption Problem. Lots of good advice in there, but you will need a few hours to read it all as there are currently 68 pages of posts. Best of luck Jeffo

Hi Igooch,

Thanks for that I visited Preston Audi yesterday just to verify what was needed a very helpful chap said my service history should stand up and the repair should be applied free he said probably a new engine £5500 wow cant wait. So fingers crossed 29th June is the start of my brand new car but cant help feeling trepidation cant wait till its done. As for reading about it I am all read up at present I cant stop reading about it been on American sites Canadian sites and English I must have spent more time reading about it than it takes to rebuild one ha.

Anyway thanks all for the advice and the blogs on here I will keep you informed.

Cheers.
Jeffo.

If you plan on keeping the car you might want to get the timing chain tensioners and guides replaced for piece of mind. The engine will have been apart so Audi so not charge you the labour and just the cost of parts. Wish I had mine done but I am selling mine anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God shout I will enquire nearer the time thats the last thing you want after a rebuild but you would think they would check them out as it is another issue (Audi speak).

Cheers

Sure there's a video of this when BBC watch dog did a report on this. Might be worth watching on what to do?

Hi Guys,

Finally managed to get hold of Evans Halshaw and spoke to one of the service guys in Blackpool who assured me it is Audi`s issue and he was well up on the problem. He said for me to carry on with the tests and my pursuit and if there is any problems to get back in touch with them and they will take it up on my behalf.

Well at least they admit they know it is an issue so if Audi decide I have to claim on the Evans Halshaw warranty and not their goodwill I can go back and ask Evans Halshaw to take it up. At the very least I have it registered in writing and confirmed from Evans Halshaw that there is an issue with the cars they are selling could be faulty.

Jeffo.

Hopefully I'll be OK as the previous owner before me had full audi service history and I just fall under the 8 years. Currently chasing them. Like trying to track down the scarlet pimpernel though to speak to them!
Hi Adamski,

This is my Sons favourite title (he dont get it very often tho)

Hows your case coming on I thought the local Audi dealer made the decision now, that said im just doing the test now drive 500 miles though not 600 but should still fail not got past 430 yet. Preston Audi said when or if it fails they will refer it to Audi UK. You must have had a reply by now it will be costing you a fortune in oil.

Cheers.

Jeffo.

Hi Adamski,

This is my Sons favourite title (he dont get it very often tho)

Hows your case coming on I thought the local Audi dealer made the decision now, that said im just doing the test now drive 500 miles though not 600 but should still fail not got past 430 yet. Preston Audi said when or if it fails they will refer it to Audi UK. You must have had a reply by now it will be costing you a fortune in oil.

Cheers.

Jeffo.

Hi guys

Sorry for going quiet, didnt get any notifications for new replies for some reason? Plus been snowed under with a new baby and work!

Good news was my car went in for repair on Monday all covered by Audi. I've been told they're going to be having it for a week at least and I'm currently rolling around in a 17 plate V40 T3 R-Design courtesy car as part of my warranty where I got the car, which is pretty nice actually. I'm not sure if mine is going to be an engine rebuild or entire new engine yet. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. Just be glad to have it all back and working!

Yours sounds very similar to mine, I was lucky to get just over 400 miles before my light would come on.

Hi Guys,

Mines stalling at pres just covered 450 miles out of 500 the dipstick has been low level for a few days but the low level alert wont come on so gonna have to drive a bit more, cars getting picked up Friday (Monday now). Anyone know how low it has to drop before the orange light comes on it usually comes on at 430 miles so the update must have done something anyway im off for a drive at least its good fun to drive no its a pleasure.

Cheers.

Jeffo

Town driving is better for consuming oil when doing the test. If you have done a large part of the miles on the motorway it will not consume as much

Hi Igooch,

Surprisingly no ive done no motorway driving its all been A and B roads so the update has definitely done some good but its still burning its down to the low level on the dipstick and the back bumper is full of black bits of carbon and smudges not nice on a white motor. So thats the best part of a litre in 450ish miles so off for a puttle again not right in this car when baited by all sorts of other marques.

Cheers.

It's a fail for sure. It only has to use 0.5 litre of oil in 620 ish miles which is about half a dipstick length.

Hi Guys,

Car finally went low alarm last night so called Preston Audi this morning and was booked in for 13:30 this afternoon and to wait. After around an hour and a half was told the car requires new pistons etc and Preston Audi would be asking Audi UK for authorisation and for full Audi contribution so nothing for me to pay absolutely fantastic Customer Service they have never asked or hinted at any contribution for the consumption test or anything.

So now just waiting for Audi Uk and the Service Manager Sally to call booking the car in and getting the work done cant wait. I cant recommend Preston Audi highly enough in fact Audi itself hopefully it does not go T*** up now after opening my mouth. So if anyone has any oil consumption issues to get on with it if your close enough to Preston get yourself there and get the ball rolling.

Good luck to all in the quest to get their cars sorted I will be hanging around a bit longer yet to advise on the outcome and for any further issues I might have. Also big thanks to all for the invaluable advice I have been given.

Cheers all.

Jeffo.

Hi

Not long after getting the car I had to report the high level of oil my car was getting through. After various tests Audi have confirmed its failed and have referred it to Audi UK to make a decision on the next cause of action etc. After doing some research I found that this has been a known issue for the 1.8/2.0 TFSI engines which Audi know about but dont seem to acknowledge it as a fault of their own.

In the states they had a class action law suit against them and had to fix everyones cars for free, but in the UK its been getting done on a case by case basis. Some having new piston rings or whole engines for free, others having to pay between 3-6k!

Was wondering if anyone on here has had to go through this at all?

Cheers
Sorry bit of a late response I also had this problem went into a Audi services and the people sitting at the desk told me it was nothing and was in tolerance levels I was doing a litre of oil every 250miles until piston 3 detonated. I then had a fight on my hands for 6 months. I got in touch with Audi uk and which made them get their ***** in gear they then replaced the pistons and rings. 3 months down the line (Christmas Eve) driving from Kent back to London in the outside lane on the motorway a huge judder and the car decided to die. The 1st thing I did was check piston 3 and once again massive holes in the top of the piston. Once again I got in touch with Audi uk and they finally ordered them to put in a new engine. The thing is most Audi services that carry out the mechanical work are franchises and each deals with it differently even though it works out cheaper to replace the engine rather then replace pistons. All was free of charge as my car had full Audi service history and was with in warranted miles

Jeff Walkington
Today at 17:59
Hi Guys, Is there any difference dealing with a franchise as apposed to a main dealer re the oil consumption work (engine rebuild I dont mean the difference if any in the skill level of the technicians) I mean the way Audi approach the work to be carried out. Do they favour main dealer more than franchise are they quicker to deal with main dealer or are they all the same as they all carry the Audi brand. Cheers.
Jeffo.

i dealt with a franchise not knowing at the time it was one, and they did everything possible to pass blame as if it was some how my fault and implied that I'd have to pay for the work. I'd say a main dealer would probably be a bit more clued up to faults and just do the work rather then investigate it to try and get money.

It has to do with the piston oil rings.....very small holes for oil which close from oil deposits. Problem solves with different piston with larger piston oil ring gap (1.5mm OEM with problem-2.0mm the new one).
If you go to the dealer they say new pistons, new rods and everything is ok! But the cost is unbelievable......
You can buy from a shop the pistons with the proper piston oil ring gap much cheaper and without the need to change the rods....
New parts have 23mm rod diameter and old 21mm.
The parts from Audi dealer demand everything changed but with the other solution all you need is pistons, piston rings.

Watch from 6:27 ......

Last edited:
Sorry bit of a late response I also had this problem went into a Audi services and the people sitting at the desk told me it was nothing and was in tolerance levels I was doing a litre of oil every 250miles until piston 3 detonated. I then had a fight on my hands for 6 months. I got in touch with Audi uk and which made them get their ***** in gear they then replaced the pistons and rings. 3 months down the line (Christmas Eve) driving from Kent back to London in the outside lane on the motorway a huge judder and the car decided to die. The 1st thing I did was check piston 3 and once again massive holes in the top of the piston. Once again I got in touch with Audi uk and they finally ordered them to put in a new engine. The thing is most Audi services that carry out the mechanical work are franchises and each deals with it differently even though it works out cheaper to replace the engine rather then replace pistons. All was free of charge as my car had full Audi service history and was with in warranted miles

Probably injector failure.....it's another common problem with the 1.8 tfsi. Good thing you were fully covered from the dealer....

Hi Guys,

Absolutely fantastic news just had a phone call from Preston Audi and the full cost of my rebuild is being covered by Audi its going in August 14th for a week wow i am over the moon.

Just gonna check now that the timing chain, guides etc is checked out (I forgot during phone call).

Jeffo.:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Reactions: baby.sportback and Dikonou
Good to hear everyone seems to be getting the cars sorted :) baby.sportback sounds like you had a right nightmare of it!

Just did a check on MY2005 2.0T which had been serviced just three months ago and done less than 1K miles since then and the dip stick came out with oil almost at the bottom! Probably worth calling Audi since the car has been serviced at Audi throughout.

Is there anything else that can result in low oil just like that? We've owned the car for about a year and this is the first time I think I've seen the oil drop like this!

Well Guys,

My journey is hopefully over re the oil consumption saga I got my 2010 A3 TFSI Black edition back yesterday after 2 working weeks complete engine rebuild free gratis and for nowt thank you Preston Audi (absolutely brilliant service Sally and her team).
I forgot to ask in the handover probably due to excitement if the car needs a run in again, some say soft run in others hard run in my preference is soft then ramp it up.

I can see on the inventory it lists chain and chain tensioner so thankfully the timing is taken care of as well so off for a RAZZ now soft of course I only bought the car for two reasons its a cracking looking car and fast as ****.

Cheers Guys absolutely GREAT SITE you can find anything on here all the best advice everything. I will keep popping back on its become a way of life thanks again.

Jeffo.

Reactions: DJ_26, baby.sportback and samuelh_888
Well Guys,

My journey is hopefully over re the oil consumption saga I got my 2010 A3 TFSI Black edition back yesterday after 2 working weeks complete engine rebuild free gratis and for nowt thank you Preston Audi (absolutely brilliant service Sally and her team).
I forgot to ask in the handover probably due to excitement if the car needs a run in again, some say soft run in others hard run in my preference is soft then ramp it up.

I can see on the inventory it lists chain and chain tensioner so thankfully the timing is taken care of as well so off for a RAZZ now soft of course I only bought the car for two reasons its a cracking looking car and fast as ****.

Cheers Guys absolutely GREAT SITE you can find anything on here all the best advice everything. I will keep popping back on its become a way of life thanks again.

Jeffo.
Congrats, good to hear it's all sorted

Reactions: jeffo
Hi all, new to the group but just wanted to follow on from this post.
Does anyone know if theres a age/time limit on getting this issue?
Ive had my 2006 a4 avant for a little of 3 years, full s/h with only two that weren't audi.
Shes now started to go through oil like nothing ive seen before, probably 1ltr per 500m or less.
Just wanted some advice before I give audi a call and sound like a right dumb ***.

Cheers in advance

Hi all, new to the group but just wanted to follow on from this post.
Does anyone know if theres a age/time limit on getting this issue?
Ive had my 2006 a4 avant for a little of 3 years, full s/h with only two that weren't audi.
Shes now started to go through oil like nothing ive seen before, probably 1ltr per 500m or less.
Just wanted some advice before I give audi a call and sound like a right dumb ***.

Cheers in advance
Hi Scott,

I think your car is out of the scenario I think it only pertains to TFSI 2008 - 2012 read some more posts on here just punch in oil consumption in the search. Hopefully you will get yours sorted and it will not be to expensive.

Reactions: Scott nicholl
Hi Scott,

I think your car is out of the scenario I think it only pertains to TFSI 2008 - 2012 read some more posts on here just punch in oil consumption in the search. Hopefully you will get yours sorted and it will not be to expensive.

Cheers, ive read that many threads and opinions to be honest