2009 s4 b8 high temp

Reaction score
Just had an oil change service, and 100 miles later i get a high temp warning, notice its at 120c!
So rammed on the heaters to max and sweltered while i got the temp down.
It came down to 90 ish and stayed there, with cooling fans on too.

Obviously will get it checked but wondering if this is a water pump issue?
Thing is i had a new pump fitted under warranty (apparently) in Dec13, have done about 20k miles since, but still, should it really fail again?!

Coolant is all there, so can't otherwise understand why temp would rise.

Any ideas or thoughts on pumps? i know they have an issue with them with my build, but surely if they replaced it, it would be a version that avoided this issue?

I could be wrong, but think the problematic water pumps were plastic housing and they changed back to metal ?
Sounds like either water pump or thermostat if the fans are working and the level is good.

And surely if they replaced it only in dec13 it wouldn't fail so soon, u less they used an old type!?

Would hope not, but should still be under warranty. It's 2 years on replacement parts including associated labour.

@trick971 hey pal

What's your mileage ?

I just had to replace my thermostat at 75k on my 2009 S4 B8 same issues, no coolant loss, already had alloy pump, and heaters running hot cold etc but could manage to keep temp down if you didn't push her too much

Running like a dream now, done the pump too as a precaution while it was stripped down though

Sorry meant to ask, how much was the thermostat fitted? Did you go to main dealer or diy?

my guess would be thermostat if you had the pump done a couple of years ago, but I changed both just to be sure

I already had the alloy pump but I wasn't taking any chances while it was stripped down

thermostats located under the supercharger on top on the engine, my advice change both for piece of mind pump was only £60 I think

Just checked my invoice

Pump £60

Thermostat £50

I did consider doing it myself as I was a mechanic to trade but my days of lying in the drive are long gone

I took it to a local garage I deal with, call my old fashioned but I don't trust dealers and I like to know who's working on my car if I'm not doing it myself

@trick971 all in it cost me £320 for pump and thermostat fitted but like I said that was local garage I know well, I've no idea what the dealer would charge sorry

If you are a bit handy it doesn't look to bad a job if you've got the tools and the space

Hi, just thought of something else..

Were they 100% sure it was the thermostat? Because as you had both changed could it have been pumped that had failed?

Honest answer is no

The pump was alloy and showed no sign of any faults ( casing was intact and impeller was in one piece and spinning free while still attached to the pully ) but there's no way of testing it once it's off

I would put my money on the thermostat but as u say there's no way of being sure that's why I done both

The problem with the original plastic pumps was the casing splitting and loosing coolant I think the now pumps a pretty good

I don't suppose you know if it has two water pumps? Electric and mechanical one? The garage I spoke to mentioned something about that but not sure if that was a prior model

My dilemma is...do i get my local (father in law!) garage to have a look to diagnose (i still hve to pay but trustworthy), or do i go to Audi and claim that the pump has failed. I checked the receipt i got for the warranty work to replace the pump back in Dec13 and on the back it says

"all work specified overleaf is warranted against faulty workmanship for a period of 12 months or 12k miles.."

Would that include a part failure? i see no mention of anything relating to physical parts.

Thing is, if it isnt the pump but the thermostat, then trousers will already be down and a big audi bill will be coming.

From Audi UK website :

Replacement parts warranty
All Audi Original replacement parts carry a warranty for a period of two-years/unlimited mileage from the date of purchase. Items with warranties in excess of two years will be advised to you at the time of purchase. The two-year warranty does not apply to parts fitted under the terms of the vehicle warranty, which are warranted for the remaining period of the vehicle warranty.

Thanks StuBill.

That latter part of the statement, - my warranty ran out Nov14, so does that mean it no longer applies, or is that for when the car has a longer warranty that the 2 years? if that makes sense?!

I think that applies to manufacturers warranty, not extended (3rd party warranty). Yours being a 2009, I am assuming it was the latter.

I've booked it in to my local garage for now so they can try and diagnose. Audi can't fit me in until the 5th May! Clearly can't wait that long.
If it's looks as if it's the pump will take it to them and get them to replace foc.

I'm sure My mechanic did mention small pump in there somewhere but we steered clear

Good luck Id be sticking with my local garage as like you say once your at Audi your pants are already down ! I'd hate to think what they charge and hour these days

Good luck

Cheers.
Do you know if the one removed is a mechanical one? Presume water pump is belt driven.

I tried to see when I could get it in an Audi... 5th may!!! So local garage on Monday it is

Yeh main pump is belt driven just an auxiliary drive belt , located at front of engine near top just off to right of centre

Thermostat is located on top of engine under the supercharger

well...ive booked it into Audi to diagnose.
If it is thermostat my local garage are quoting 5 hours labour, so it isnt going to be much different from the Audi Price of .....£545 for a thermo replacement.
if its the pump then they are paying anyway...

So ive gone for Audi, i cant get another garage to do it much cheaper locally.

btw @Chop. does your pipercross make any difference? soundwise?
And i think my rs4 grill will need to wait now as thats a bill i wasnt expecting

Also have an S-tronic changed booked in...Audi do a reasonable price on that £169.

@trick971 good luck mate hope you get it sorted ok, and it doesn't put you off these cracking motors

Didn't notice much noise difference with piper cross, maby a little when your pushing it, big difference in throttle response though I would definitely recommend it

Car back now....
It was the pump that was leaking coolant...
But on stripping down the thermostat was toast and the "secondary pump hoses" we're also fried so had to have the whole lot changed.

After an argument about warranty etc (see my other post!) they agreed to cover it under goodwill which has shocked me.... But they did this providing I had my stronic oil change and brake fluid change done with them.
Had already booked it in to do the stronic so really I'm not out of pocket so happy as Larry.

Not sure why they have covered all this work for free? Maybe they fitted the old style pump before or they can claim it against the warranty work last time? Not sure...

But all back and sweet...

right just to close the loop on this as had a minor debacle which i listed under another post.

After i had done around 150 miles since getting the car back the Emission Control System light came on.
Had it checked out and they said the secondary air pump hoses have a clip on them which wasnt quite clipped... so although they appeard to be connected, they werent. Hence why the ECU had registered a fault.

Anyway all sorted now..

Reactions: Chop., xpoweruk and scotty76
Glad to here it's all sorted mate I hate having problems with my motors

Hopefully that's you for a few thousand miles now

Reactions: trick971