2009 S3 Revo Stage 2+ Clutch/Flywheel Questions???

Phil_T

Revo Stage 2+ Audi S3
Reaction score
As above thinking about going for stage 2+ next for the car but have heard issues with the clutch so would rather get it all done at the same time.

Does the standard setup have a dual mass or single mass??

When getting an uprated clutch/flywheel is it best to go for the dual mass as it looks like some people are having problems with the single mass??

Btw its a 2009 facelift if that makes a different too

Last edited:
I have just had a Spec stage 3 clutch and single mass flywheel fitted to mine. Depends if you can put up with the noise and it is sometimes hard to change gear (I have only done 350 miles so far and its getting better and better) I had a Integra Tyre R before and that was raw as anything but I put up with it.

I can't see why any uprated clutch would be fine with the DMFW cause they are poo and my flywheel was absolutely fu-bard when I changed it. If you can put up with the harder change and noise i'd go for the SMFW route but thats just my opinion.

Reactions: BurgoS3
I had a Revo stage 2+ on mine before I sold it, Shaun from AMD said the standard clutch would last up to about 5000 miles. I sold it before the clutch started to slip. Does anyone know the maximum safe level of power & torque for the standard clutch, on a manual S3? I want to mod my new S3, but really don't want to change the clutch.

PS
Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Been reading up abit & it seems it is a dual mass flywheel that I will need with the clutch

I had a Revo stage 2+ on mine before I sold it, Shaun from AMD said the standard clutch would last up to about 5000 miles. I sold it before the clutch started to slip. Does anyone know the maximum safe level of power & torque for the standard clutch, on a manual S3? I want to mod my new S3, but really don't want to change the clutch.

PS
Sorry for hijacking the thread.

It's the torque that's going to kill the clutch,and not the power.

The LUK was rated for about 300lbs IIRC,and most remaps are comfortably above that.

My Luk clutch made it to about 10k miles but only as I'm reasonably easy on the clutch,and as soon as the Stage2 map was loaded it was on it's way out.

I have a revo stage 1 remap on my s3 (2008 non facelift model), and the standard clutch is holding out fine so far, 22000 miles in total, with around 12000 since the remap.

I have a revo stage 1 remap on my s3 (2008 non facelift model), and the standard clutch is holding out fine so far, 22000 miles in total, with around 12000 since the remap.

We are talking about stage 2+ mate, ive got stage 1 with evoms & forge dv with no problems which is why I am asking about the stage 2+ because of problems I have read with the clutch

I've been running stg2+ for about 7K now on the std clutch and its doin fine, but i try not to load it to much in the higher gears. AFAIK there was an upgrade at 08 from LUK clutches to SACHS clutches and they seem a bit stronger, but at stg2+ I think your always on borrowed time. Sayin that looking at some of my dyno plots the torque comes in a bit later than stg1 which may help but the midrange torque increase is what wil kill the clutch and IMO you need to be aware of this and drive accordingly, but I genuinely think, and am budgeting for, you will need an upgraded clutch at some point

I've been running stg2+ for about 7K now on the std clutch and its doin fine, but i try not to load it to much in the higher gears. AFAIK there was an upgrade at 08 from LUK clutches to SACHS clutches and they seem a bit stronger, but at stg2+ I think your always on borrowed time. Sayin that looking at some of my dyno plots the torque comes in a bit later than stg1 which may help but the midrange torque increase is what wil kill the clutch and IMO you need to be aware of this and drive accordingly, but I genuinely think, and am budgeting for, you will need an upgraded clutch at some point

Thanks, ye I know some people are quite lucky but just want to see which clutch & flywheel people are getting as I would rather get them done at the same time so I dont have to worry in the back of my head about the clutch

We are talking about stage 2+ mate, ive got stage 1 with evoms & forge dv with no problems which is why I am asking about the stage 2+ because of problems I have read with the clutch

My answer was aimed at hardcore hallam, about how much power/torque a standard clutch could handle.

Done 12,000 miles on my Sachs Performance clutch and Dual mass Flywheel (changed at the same time the clutch was fitted). This includes half a dozen trackdays at full pelt. All still perfect - personally having spoken to TobyCruse I wouldn't touch a Single Mass Flywheel with a bargepole. Again - just a personal opinion though.

So which Sachs performance clutch do I go for as it looks like there is a few? Will this come with a DMF or is this just a standard Audi part that would be replaced at the same time as the Sachs clutch?

So which Sachs performance clutch do I go for as it looks like there is a few? Will this come with a DMF or is this just a standard Audi part that would be replaced at the same time as the Sachs clutch?

There is only one "Sachs Racing Performance clutch" for these cars. The part number is WC141881864999502. You will need a new DMF from Audi, a clutch cover and bearings.

Done 12,000 miles on my Sachs Performance clutch and Dual mass Flywheel (changed at the same time the clutch was fitted). This includes half a dozen trackdays at full pelt. All still perfect - personally having spoken to TobyCruse I wouldn't touch a Single Mass Flywheel with a bargepole. Again - just a personal opinion though.

FIt and gearchange issues aside,the purpose of a DMF is to damp out engine vibrations,and they do this job pretty well.

If you remove that damping system,you expose yourself to a lot of noise and vibration,and getting around that requires a fully balanced engine...not a cheap option,and one that I did have on one of my previous Cosworths.

I've just bedded mine in now. I was very worried when I first started driving it after having it done first. Gears were really stiff and it was really noisey.

Now its almost as smooth as my standard set up was and I tried my first launch this morning :hubbahubba: What a difference, pick up is amazing!

I'd recommend having this set up as long as you can put up with the noise ticking over when cold and if you load it in 5th or 6th off boost (which I never do anyway) it vibrates the car.

Last edited:
There is only one "Sachs Racing Performance clutch" for these cars. The part number is WC141881864999502. You will need a new DMF from Audi, a clutch cover and bearings.

Performed a search to try and get installation prices the clutch kit and came across your post. I noticed that you only installed the performance clutch disc and used to OE clutch cover?
I purchased the clutch kit which consists of the clutch disc 999502 and reinforced clutch cover 999787. Is there a reason you didnt uprate your clutch cover?

Cheers Davie

My sugestion is that if you buying a clutch anyway... you might as well go for the whole thing and not leave anything stock.. because a lightend flywheel will bring you much benefits all round up. Because its just a matter of time untill one of the OEM parts gives up. and that you will have a pain in the *** again!!!

My sugestion is that if you buying a clutch anyway... you might as well go for the whole thing and not leave anything stock.. because a lightend flywheel will bring you much benefits all round up. Because its just a matter of time untill one of the OEM parts gives up. and that you will have a pain in the *** again!!!

The reason i didnt go with the SMF was due to the extra noise and vibration caused from fitting it. They even stated this on the sachs website: "Due the lightened one-mass-flywheel, additional clutch and gear noises can appear." I have also heard that gearchanges can become difficult so i was really put off changing to the SMF. There are several members running DMF with no problems. If my DMF packs in then i will then consider SMF but if the OEM unit proves to be capable i dont see the need for changing it.

Davie

Sorry David - the way I typed that was a bit misleading. I have a Sachs cover - part number WC141883082999787 if that helps.

Sorry David - the way I typed that was a bit misleading. I have a Sachs cover - part number WC141883082999787 if that helps.

Thats the same cover i have in my kit, cheers for clearing that up :) how do you find the uprated clutch kit vs OEM setup??
I remember reading a thread here where a user had issue's with the Sachs unit but he is the only person i have heard of with problems.

Cheers Davie

Thats the same cover i have in my kit, cheers for clearing that up :) how do you find the uprated clutch kit vs OEM setup??
I remember reading a thread here where a user had issue's with the Sachs unit but he is the only person i have heard of with problems.

Cheers Davie

TobyCruse certainly had problems with his but it was down to the Single Mass Flywheel he had. Last I heard from him he was changing to the DMF. I've had the Sachs in mine for nearly a year now and it's fantastic. So much clearer on the bite-point and can withstand any sort of abuse. Some people see it as a necessary evil to get this upgrade - something you have to have done because you've gone 2+. I see it as a genuine performance upgrade in its own right. I drove an S3 with a standard clutch a few weeks back and the pedal felt sloppy and dead. The car itself drives so much better with this upgrade. My 2p anyway.

TobyCruse certainly had problems with his but it was down to the Single Mass Flywheel he had. Last I heard from him he was changing to the DMF. I've had the Sachs in mine for nearly a year now and it's fantastic. So much clearer on the bite-point and can withstand any sort of abuse. Some people see it as a necessary evil to get this upgrade - something you have to have done because you've gone 2+. I see it as a genuine performance upgrade in its own right. I drove an S3 with a standard clutch a few weeks back and the pedal felt sloppy and dead. The car itself drives so much better with this upgrade. My 2p anyway.

Im only running Stage 1 REVO and my clutch has raised the white flag, im going to run standard boost till the 25th when my clutch gets installed lol I agree with you on the clutch feeling sloppy and dead, after driving an A3 2.0tdi courtesy car i jumped back into mine and thought my clucth pedal had disconnected it was so light. A little extra weight against the clutch pedal would be a bonus for me. Cheers for your helpfull reply.

Davie

And dont forget to use Castrol SRF oil for your clutch, very big difference over the OEM oil!!!!!

Just ordered DMF from euro car parts, its the LUK unit that i currently have installed in my car so i purchased the LUK replacement, got it for £270.00, i got a quote from Audi and it was £670 although that may have been a sachs unit. Link: http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/A...7b89c40e4646425bc432c6fda43a71d65a2a3993&DMFW
I have heard the LUK clutch isnt as good as strong as the Sachs but how do the flywheels compare?

Cheers Davie