2009 S3 engine noise when it’s warm

Eggyevo

Reaction score
Hi
Hope someone can help me please
My S3 sounds like a Diesel when engine is warm it’s like rackety/ tappet Noice
It’s done 75k and last month I had the timing belt and water pump changed all genuine parts from Audi

I was thinking it might be the timing chain and tensioner
has anyone else experiencing this noise?

Try uploading a video to Youtube and sharing the link here, it will be easier than trying to describe a noise.

I agree with what @Daveyonthemove said but check your oil level it may be a little low, otherwise chance are its your timing chain tensioner as mine was loose and sounded like a diesel too

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Are Oil levels correct?
Have you had the PCV checked or replaced?

Also, how have you got a CAI fitted and still got the OEM engine cover? I thought the cover had to be removed to fit the CAI?

Oh, and please stop filming in Portrait mode!! If you turn the phone 90 degrees you can film MUCH more and we might spot something as we can see 3 times more of the engine bay. Cheers.

Pcv checked and is fine
Yeh got CAI and genuine engine cover
The owner before me cut the top bit off the engine cover so it can fit

sorry about the recording I will upload a new one tomorrow

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Does it go away when you put the clutch in? Mine rattles a bit but was told that’s normal because of my clutch and flywheel combo

No the clutch is fine
It just gets like that when the car gets hot ‍♂️

Reactions: Bryant1998
Does the noise go away when You rev it? I had a worn chain tensioner and it sounded like this. that is the side the cam chain is on

Yes it’s ok when you rev it it’s just like that when it’s idling
When you replaced the chain tensioner did the noise stop?

Yes it’s ok when you rev it it’s just like that when it’s idling
When you replaced the chain tensioner did the noise stop?
Alot quieter these engine are normally have that tappety sound but when the tensioner goes ot gets alot louder

Reactions: Eggyevo
Yes mate once i got It replace the noise stoped. I still do have a slight tapping noise but I Always thought it was normal. I can’t guarantee that is what is wrong with your car but in my case it was with that exact noise . They definitely are a common problem especial on a car that age/miles

Reactions: e9_mustii and Eggyevo
Thanks S3mertyn
I have ordered the kit from Audi once it arrives I will get my mechanic to replace it

Reactions: S3mertyn and e9_mustii
Thanks S3mertyn
I have ordered the kit from Audi once it arrives I will get my mechanic to replace it
Good luck bud hopefully thatll solve your issue and even if it doesnt atleast you have peace of mind that its been replaced before it fails and costs you another engine

Reactions: S3mertyn and Eggyevo
This is the exact same noise mine is making! Sounds louder than my previous 09 plate diesel golf!

You'll have to let us know how you get on