2009 A5 Water leak

Blackmambo

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here, but I've done my research on this issue.

I have a 2009 A5 and whenever there is a heavy rain, I get water in the driver's side footwell. The leak is not from the A/C, it's not coolant, it's not the water pump, it's not windshield wiper fluid, and it's not oil. I can actually see the water leaking from behind the handle which you pull to open the front hood during a heavy rain. I've seen this same leak issue on A3, A4, and A8 threads, but have not been able to find it on the A5 threads. The A3, A4, and A8 owners say that it could be a sunroof drainage issue from clogged debris (but the A5 sunroof is different than the others, so I dont know how to access the A5 sunroof drain). The other car owners suggest that there are two drain holes that could get plugged up, one of which is located under the battery. However, the A5 battery is located in the trunk, not under the hood. Other owners have said something about the plenum and/or body drains. Maybe those are the same as the drains under the battery, but again this was for an A8.

Fortunately I dont (yet) have any damaged electronics, but I would like to resolve this before this results in $5k-$7k worth of damage, as I've seen some other owners claim.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Bump.

Anybody? Seriously?

Did I violate some rule about getting responses? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Maybe nobody else has experienced the problem you're having?

Have you looked on the internet, not just this forum?

Welcome.

As said probably that others haven't experienced the problem. A quick Google turned this up. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the link Shrek5, although my problem is due to rain drainage, rather than condensation from the evaporator. The information is useful nonetheless. Thanks.

In other Audi forums, people with A3s, A4s, and A8s have talked about this same problem, with diagrams on how to get to the drainage holes underneath the batteries. But I haven't seen anybody with an A5 mention this problem, and the A5 sunroof drainage system seems to be a little differently routed than the other models that have real sunroofs (and the A5 battery is in the trunk, not the hood - like the A4 and A8).

So maybe a better question is...does anybody know how, or have picture showing how to get access to and clean 1) the sunroof drain tubes and/or 2) the plenum drains on an A5 (2009 coupe, 3.2T)

Ah yes - the clue was when you said "whenever there is a heavy rain"... ;)

Reactions: warren_S5
As much as I love a sunroof to look at / effects within vehicle etc. I had one on a Mk2 Golf GTi that leaked like a sieve every time it rained and despite numerous attempts to fix it the only way to get it right was a full replacement. Since then I've heard of rattles in A3 sport back 8P model, fractures in 8V models and various leaking threads, and in the 21st century you'd think they would be able to build something robust and maintenance free. Feel your pain as in UK it trains a LOT! No wisdom to add to this unfortunately, not seen any threads along these lines in all my hunting. Only suggestion is that ELSAWIN exploded diagrams may provide some insight if you can get hold of any.