2009 A3 passenger side doors won't lock

samuel haigh

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some information about what could be wrong with my car. I have a 2009 Audi A3 which has problems with the doors on the passenger side. The doors do not lock when I use the key fob but the drivers side does lock.
I have no idea what the problem could be as haven't had time to look yet but was just wondering what sort of things I should be looking out for. Also the passenger side rear doors window doesn't open so maybe there is no power getting to the rear door at all? The front passenger doors window works fine though and the electric wing mirror works fine too.

Also the driver doors handle doesn't always open when I unlock the car. So sometimes it works fine but other times I have to unlock the car 2 or 3 times for it to actually open. I have to pull the handle and then afterwards it works when I unlock it the second time.

If anyone has any ideas for any of these problems I would appreciate any help you can provide me with and I will see if I can find the problem.

Thanks in advanced!

With ref to you locking problem, It could be the lock itself, the motors end to fail so the central locking doesn't operate the lock, easy and relatively inexpensive fix. Actually had this myself on my rear door.
Something like this depending on your year etc. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-S-PASS...152952?hash=item23b1577038:g:UsEAAOSwdxVcD6hE

Also a scan with vcds might reveal a fault code. check out the map and see if someone's close that could help you out. https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/pages/VCDS-Map/

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some information about what could be wrong with my car. I have a 2009 Audi A3 which has problems with the doors on the passenger side. The doors do not lock when I use the key fob but the drivers side does lock.
I have no idea what the problem could be as haven't had time to look yet but was just wondering what sort of things I should be looking out for. Also the passenger side rear doors window doesn't open so maybe there is no power getting to the rear door at all? The front passenger doors window works fine though and the electric wing mirror works fine too.

Also the driver doors handle doesn't always open when I unlock the car. So sometimes it works fine but other times I have to unlock the car 2 or 3 times for it to actually open. I have to pull the handle and then afterwards it works when I unlock it the second time.

If anyone has any ideas for any of these problems I would appreciate any help you can provide me with and I will see if I can find the problem.

Thanks in advanced!
Have a look at this thread and watch the video as it could be relevant to your problem ( https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/8p-door-handle.383245/ )

I’ve replaced all 4 locks on my 2007 A3 Sportback and also my dads 2008 A4 B8. Also had 2 other family members replace drivers door locks on their A6s. Common problem where the locks fail over time on VAG cars. £140 roughly for the last one I purchased from TPS, they have been putting the prices up over the years.

Your symptoms about it not locking was what I had on my NS rear door. The door not opening from the outside also eventually started to affect my NS front door from not opening from the inside but did eventually unlock after numerous tries so could get the lock replaced.

I personally wouldn’t go for a used one as its just a matter of time till it will fail although I have heard of one of the members on here getting a good one that hasn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also if you scan through VCDS it will pick up the door lock fault and how many times it has happened and the date it started from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advanced!

Had similar issue, with intermittent failure of alarm arming and locking/unlocking. Had no power to my rear driver door (windows/locks didn’t respond) via fob or driver door master switch.

Easiest first step is to replace the driver door switch, but in doing so, use a voltage meter to check the connecting wires for static on the lines. If there isn’t any coming to the switch, the signal is broken somewhere up the line.

Next place to check is the wiring harness to the front of the driver side door. Two wires commonly will bend and eventually separate after years of wear opening/closing the door. I understand your issue is passenger side, but the harness I’m directing you to runs from the main fuse box and control panel to control all of the electrical to all four doors.

If there IS static on the lines running to the driver door master switch, first try replacing the switch itself. About a $30 part. Got mine from amazon but it’s a pretty common part found from many reliable vendors.

Next, my ocd, efficiency-driven work ethic humbly suggests you go smarter not harder from here. If the above steps don’t resolve the issue, before risking damage to other doors or components, and losing precious quality driving time chasing where the fault in the wiring somewhere around the entire path lurking, get yourself the Ross Tech software to scan your ODBII. This program will give you way more info than you will need, but it will tell you exactly where it detects the fault (static/no static). This handy tool will nicely come through for every other potential problem you run into and alert you of ones that you weren’t yet aware of. Like the mystery squeak in your engine, for example. I suspect a vacuum leak, but you’ll have a much better idea with the scanner codes. The intermittent nature of it suggests a voltage regulation issue, affecting some component that’s hissing like a balloon knot. But that’s just my initial theory.

All that said, if you have the time, and enjoy the prospect of disassembling and then reassembling all the components in all four doors and beyond, by all means party on, Wayne. More power to you for braving that rabbit hole. I personally lack the stamina and uncertainty involved, Lol!

Good luck and hopefully that one harness or switch sets things right so you can get rolling with your mean machine again.

If I’ve been unclear in any descriptions or you have questions on anything, ask away and I’ll do my best to clarify.

Attachments

• 12705D1F-FB78-4592-B920-58D898DD1A61.jpeg
    12705D1F-FB78-4592-B920-58D898DD1A61.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 309
  • C62C030F-0FB1-4901-ADDF-F4ABB84788C0.jpeg
    C62C030F-0FB1-4901-ADDF-F4ABB84788C0.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 335
Last edited: