2008 Audi A3 facelift

sat1983

Reaction score
37587564238a4a3923zb5.jpg

I hope not - that is starting to look like a Vauxhall :puke2:

Don't like that at all!

The more pronounced bonnet bulge and the way it continues down the nose makes the nose jutt out more which I don't like and the sides look more like a 1 series than an Audi.

If that's genuine then I'm very glad I got one before the facelift!

Are those some LED DRLs on there? They would be cool.

The pics of the Cabrio are genuine. I have seen other spyshots of it testing in the US.

I think DaveR saw a link which stated that the 2008 A3 will get the same styling tweaks as the Cabrio.

I'm pretty sure it'll have those LED built-in to the headlights!

i can quite beleive that that's a facelift - it contains the same styling as their newest models, the q7 and a5.

I've given up on saying whether or not i like a car or not from internet pictures - I'll wait till i see it in the flesh, as i always change my mind.

I thought the A3 refresh was in 2010 though?

Completely new A3 is due in 2009. I'd heard rumours they were modifying the A3 bonnet area to comply with new pedestrian safety regulations and that, combined with the similar styling to other models, makes me believe that's genuine tbh.

On the subject of DRLs, whatever they do they need to get rid of the current ones fitted to Xenon equipped cars - whenever I see one driving around with the DRLs on in broad daylight I think it looks ****** awful.

On the subject of DRLs, whatever they do they need to get rid of the current ones fitted to Xenon equipped cars - whenever I see one driving around with the DRLs on in broad daylight I think it looks ****** awful

Drive in Austria or southern Germany for a couple of weeks and you will soon get used to them.

Completely new A3 is due in 2009.

According to some information published a while ago in Car magazine the current A3 full replacement is not due until 2011.

It would seem very expensive to do a facelift in 2008 and then a full replacement one year later. 2011 seems much more likely.

Plus dont think they would release the S3 this year when they change the shape the next, just does not make marketing sense especially when the S3 costs what it does!

Who would spend 30k on a car which would go out of date a year later? Audi would not do it, we have a while yet before a facelift!

I quite like it people! What's wrong with it!! Doesn't really look much different to the current A3!

JamS3 said:
Plus dont think they would release the S3 this year when they change the shape the next, just does not make marketing sense especially when the S3 costs what it does!

Who would spend 30k on a car which would go out of date a year later? Audi would not do it, we have a while yet before a facelift!

Makes perfect business sense really. Use the niche, top of the range S3 product to drive a bit more life out of the current A3 design, then facelift the product range to drive continued interest right through to the replacement in 2010/2011.
Let's face it, if it's facelifted and in the flesh looks the mutt's nuts, we'l all aspire to upgrade to a facelift model.... how long was the old shape S3 on the scene before a facelift version came on the scene? Wasn't that about 12-18 months????

jamiekip said:
Makes perfect business sense really. Use the niche, top of the range S3 product to drive a bit more life out of the current A3 design, then facelift the product range to drive continued interest right through to the replacement in 2010/2011.
Let's face it, if it's facelifted and in the flesh looks the mutt's nuts, we'l all aspire to upgrade to a facelift model.... how long was the old shape S3 on the scene before a facelift version came on the scene? Wasn't that about 12-18 months????
Yes, but the changes to the facelifted 8L S3 were quite minor; lights, centre console design etc. There were no major exterior panel changes, as are apparent on the spy photo, which require expensive tooling changes and are therefore consistent with a completely new model, not a facelift:detective2:

Doesn't look too bad, but pretty much what you'd expect; just a clean up of the body (rubbing strips removed from the sides and the bumpers). Enough to freshen the range without upsetting existing owners like ourselves by making the car look radically different and screwing up our residuals.

DRLs look neat, although it does make the car look like it has tears in its eyes ...

Quite like it. Guess the S-line will be the same but similar bumper to what it has now?

Don't see why they wouldn't facelift so soon after the S3. Bear in mind the S3 was available from the end of 2006 so, if the facelift A3 was launched in mid-late 2008 it'd still be 18 months to 2 years after the S3.

The RS4 was only lauched in 2006 (IIRC) yet there's a totally new A4 out next year (not just a facelift) so that will only have had a couple of years of life.

That's different.

It has the new nose from the first pic, with the raised ridge that runs right down the front either side of the grille but the sides are the same as the current model, with the same profile and the rubbing strip, whereas the first pic had no rubbing strip and much flatter slab-sides.

Vertigo1 said:
That's different.

It has the new nose from the first pic, with the raised ridge that runs right down the front either side of the grille but the sides are the same as the current model, with the same profile and the rubbing strip, whereas the first pic had no rubbing strip and much flatter slab-sides.

yes, but these are actual pics, the first one on this thread is just a render. These are 100% more likely to be how it will look imo.

Concerning facelift I think the A3 was already facelifted once adopting Sportback grille, etc. For me it makes more sense for Audi to invest money in developing a new model... But if it comes I won't follow the Joneses! Had enough of small hatchbacks...

Concerning DLRs on the S3 I agree they look yellowish and aren't the nicest but I always use them, for me is a safety issue to be seen by others, specially when I go fast.... Even on a sunny day having those on really helps other drivers to see that someone is coming...

Pedro

The later pic is totally believable as they pretty much just changed the bonnet and nose which I heard they were going to for pedestrial safety regulations anyway.

As for DRLs, regardless of their safety merits, I still maintain they look plain daft in broad daylight in this country. If I had them on my car I'd be snipping wires or pulling fuses to get rid of them!

Yuck. That's about it what I think of the new lights.. as for DLRs, why aren't you using normal lights then? Here in Finland it's mandatory to have lights on all the time, and to me car looks weird (if not even ugly) without lights ;)

As for DRLs, regardless of their safety merits, I still maintain they look plain daft in broad daylight in this country. If I had them on my car I'd be snipping wires or pulling fuses to get rid of them!

Currently you could just move a small switch and turn them off if the appearance of your car is more importnat to you than other peoples safety.

When they become a legal requirement (sometime between now and 2010ish) not doubt the switch will be removed. You will then have the choice of using the DRLs or your main headlights at all times. Perhaps by then the 'new' A3 will be out and using LEDS similar to the new A4, A5 and R8.

Ah, I was under the impression that there was no switch and you had no choice but to have them on.

As for safety, frankly I find any claims that they increase safety in broad daylight rather hard to believe. Most countries that stipulate lights must be on 24/7 are those which don't get much daylight, unless I'm much mistaken.

I'm all for genuine improvements to safety, such as crash testing, crumple zones, loads of airbags and passenger safety cells but claiming lights during the day are a safety feature is just daft. Occasionally the conditions may warrant it but then you should turn your lights on yourself anyway.

/rant :)

Occasionally the conditions may warrant it but then you should turn your lights on yourself anyway.

Most northern European countries require then but they are 'strongly recommended' in France and Germany and are required by law in Austria. All these are much the same latitudes as the UK.

If we could rely on drivers to switch their lights on in poor conditions they may well be less reason to have them but we cannot. How often, if when it's pouring with rain, do you see cars with no lights or stupid parking lights. Better to have at least DRLs than no lights at all.

It has been proven it various test across Europe than pedestrians and other drivers do see a car with DRLs better than a car with no lights, especially when pedestrians are crossing the road and when drivers are waiting to pull out of a junction or overtake another vehicle.

Vertigo1 said:
Ah, I was under the impression that there was no switch and you had no choice but to have them on.

As for safety, frankly I find any claims that they increase safety in broad daylight rather hard to believe. Most countries that stipulate lights must be on 24/7 are those which don't get much daylight, unless I'm much mistaken.

I'm all for genuine improvements to safety, such as crash testing, crumple zones, loads of airbags and passenger safety cells but claiming lights during the day are a safety feature is just daft. Occasionally the conditions may warrant it but then you should turn your lights on yourself anyway.

/rant :)

they make you more visible so I don't see how you could possibly argue that doesn't improve safety?

I've seen a few A5s on the road now and they really stand out with the LED lights, there is no way someone could not see one and pull out in front of one imo.

The later pic appears to have an S-Line badge on the rear door.

Could be new S-Line front bumper or an S-Line mule with a new standard bumper - who knows!!!

cdb2 said:
The later pic appears to have an S-Line badge on the rear door.

Could be new S-Line front bumper or an S-Line mule with a new standard bumper - who knows!!!

If we are being picky here ... there is no s-line badge on the front grill! Hard to see if there is a rear spoiler from the 2 pictures. But if you look at the front bumper lower lip, it does remind me of the current s-line lower lip.

In regards to day time driving lights, i'm all for it! It is much easier to keep track of who's around you and who's coming up with the driving lights than without. Maybe not so much on sunny middle of the day, but in cloudly, foggy or rainny weather it is much needed. :icon_thumright:

It just takes time to get used to.

In regards to day time driving lights, i'm all for it! It is much easier to keep track of who's around you and who's coming up with the driving lights than without. Maybe not so much on sunny middle of the day, but in cloudly, foggy or rainny weather it is much needed

The advantage of DRLs in bright sunshine becomes very apparent when cars are going between areas of bright sunshine and areas of shade or shadows. This is one of the main reasons given for Austria to make them a legal requirement.

In foggy and rainy situations we should all be using our full headlights.

Told today at Bristol Audi that Quarter 4 details will be out in 3 weeks or so.

yak said:
Here in Finland it's mandatory to have lights on all the time, and to me car looks weird (if not even ugly) without lights ;)

I worked in Norway for a few years where they had lights on at all times and since then, now that I'm back in the UK, I do the same. Having your lights on during daytime still lets other drivers see you better and may be the difference between someone pulling out in front of you or not.....

According to current Autocar: refresh of A3 in spring 2008 (with some new engines, but not the new dash layout of newer vehicles), new A3 2012.

I was at my dealer's R8 launch the other night and got there a bit early so had a good chat with him about what changes were on the way. He confirmed that the beige sportback earlier in this post is only a facelifted s-line bumper (checked with Germany). He reckoned that they'd probably change to a new model in mid to late 2009 as it will be six years old by then and that the new golf being brought forward would make it more likely that they wouldn't leave the new A3 much longer. He also thought the 1.4 wouldn't be too big a seller (at least over here anyway).

He also said there would be no major changes to the existing model, other than perhaps a reprofiling of the lights, and some interior changes. There's also talk of a limited edition A3 - presumably to shift some stock.

While there I had a good look around the TT roadster and the new A5 and S5. I'm not due to change until 2009/10, but depending on when the A3 is replaced I could be convinced to trade up to the A5 or TT.