2008 A4 3.0 V6 TDi.. Thoughts on improving response..

PGunter

Reaction score
Hello

Seeking your thoughts on trying to improve the throttle response and such.

Today I had delivered my lovely Audi A4 B8 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro 2008 with 83k on the clock. Looking at the service history, she has only done around 4k per year for the last six years. When accelerating she seems to lag a little compared to my VW CC 2.0 TDi, which is going back after my pcp runs out in a months time. I have just put a full tank of Shell V Nitro Diesel in and thinking what else I could do to try and restore some of the original power which might have been lost.

Peoples thoughts on TerraClean and other such things ? Do they work ? I have used Redex with my petrol cars, but not the diesel version.

I am looking at getting a few miles under the belt on this car so would like to improve and get that lost power which I would think is still in there somewhere.

Any thoughts ?

A good blast up the motorway should clear it out, it's not been used much and things a clogged up like the cat, egr etc etc.

Reactions: PGunter
Well a decent blast to clean the cobwebs improved the feel. Might also have been the better fuel and redex treatment. It was only £2 a bottle at Tesco’s for a double shot size. Half price if anybody needs any.

Will carry on with the better fuel for a few tanks and hope the built up crud gets burnt off with the additives.

No I had a decent run out this morning. It was on my list to do as well.

Should be getting a few 100 mile plus runs next week.

walnut blasting has been suggested to me. after a bit of research I was going to go here, but just haven't got round to it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-...ET-VALVES-WALNUT-BLASTING-CLEAN-/323093313100

also, I got a stage 1 Revo remap on my 2010 3.0 TDI and am really impressed. it made a real improvement, which is one of the reasons I haven't had the walnut blasting done yet. I'm assuming the car will run even better when I get round to it.

@Booboo

Thank you for that. It was one of the treatments I was considering. Just read some good reviews. So at £9 it’s worth a good shot. Just got a very respectful 46.3mpg Winchester to Ipswich mainly dual and motorway. So she’s improving and the response is too.

Is it an auto or manual? Mine is a 6 speed tiptronic and the gearbox can be pretty dull to the extent that the car feels slow, especially when trying to pull out of a junction quickly or similar.

It’s a 6 speed Manual. It’s a lovely car but does seem sluggish compared to my 2.0 CC. Which is a dsc auto.

It is improving though so the cleaning and better fuel must be working through. I have the bg244 ready now to start dosing after this tank of fuel has been used. Let’s see if it’s good. A remap will be on the cards in a few months to get the bottom end improved.

Thank you for all your thoughts on this too.

It should definitely feel quicker than a 2.0 Passat. I've not done bg244 on mine yet but did change all the filters just after I'd got it.

That’s what I am thinking. Best place for filters ? ECP or GSF ?

Your local Audi garage, the price is pretty much the same as the online places and you know what quality you are getting.
Air, fuel and cabin are easy, get an oil filter while you are there for the next oil change.

Well I was right on one point. The filter was totally needing to be replaced. Filthy and the air box had a lot of debris in it too. As did the areas under the windscreen. So much for total main dealer service history.

As you can see, she needed that changed ASAP. Going for a drive afterwards felt a whole lot smoother. How easy is it to do the cabin filter on these ?

78C891AC 656A 4519 A6DF 5E07EBE93348

Dead easy

Make sure you seat the cover back properly or you'll wonder where the wooshing is coming from.

It won't make your car faster but it might smell nicer and defog faster.

It won't make your car faster but it might smell nicer and defog faster.
It all helps in the end. Just a bit of preventative maintenance. Need to wash out the drain holes on the car too. I hope to keep this one so preventing dirt build up and water sitting should be a priority after it’s dried out a little.

Regarding making her faster. The air filter was needed. The cleaning out of the fuel system continues as I have a few more longer runs next week too. Little at a time.