2008(58) S3 exhaust valve springs

AdriansS3

Reaction score
Hi guys I was wondering whether all 2008 S3s have the problem with the wrong exhaust valves causing a misfire or whether it was a select few. The reason I ask is I have a 2008(58) S3 and I haven't had any problems yet but would like to remap the car and wondered if this would cause the misfire.
Can Audi do a check if I give the car details to them as my local dealer said they couldn't!
Thanks any advice would be appreciated.

Hi mate ,ive had no problems with the exhaust values on my 58 plate ,s3 8p ,revo stage 2+...:)

It is a known issue. I believe 2 types of valve springs where used during 2008 and depending on which ones you have fitted you may have a problem. I was told Audi did not do a recall on this as not all cars would have a problem.
This is only what I have been told and I have read posts with people who have had to change them due to a misfire.

I contacted Audi just before my warranty was out.
I was told that it was a known but not common problem.
My chassis number came up as not requiring the springs to be changed.
Just as well as I didn't fancy them ripping my engine to bits!

That's interesting as my local dealer said there was nothing they could do to see if mine could have the wrong ones.
A friend of mine is looking at a 2008 Audi TTS which has the same engine and he is buying it from Audi so if he asks them to check chassis number they should be able to tell him if he has correct ones fitted!

Hi guys I was wondering whether all 2008 S3s have the problem with the wrong exhaust valves causing a misfire or whether it was a select few. The reason I ask is I have a 2008(58) S3 and I haven't had any problems yet but would like to remap the car and wondered if this would cause the misfire.
Can Audi do a check if I give the car details to them as my local dealer said they couldn't!
Thanks any advice would be appreciated.

hi adrian i have the same issue i have a 58 plate s3 and its just been mapped and i have the same issues at 6500rpm its misfires and engine management lights come on i have the coil packs changed and the injectors still the same issue i was gutted as i really wanted it mapped any advice ?

As Adrian has said,it is a known but not common issue.

There are a few cases reported here and on VAGOC,but it's something that the dealer should be aware of.

i called audi uk today and they denied all knowledge of it cant find the service bulletin that was released about it . all they said is bring the car in for a diagnosos