2007 Audi S3 (BHZ, TFSI, 56K) Noise

HHS3

Phantom Black S3 - R-Tech Stage 2+
Reaction score
Hello,

This noise developed last week and goes with the revs as you can hear. I thought it was related to the cam chain & tensioner as the latter went a few days before this sound became apparent, however I've had both of these parts replaced yesterday and the sound is still there, it's more pronounced once the engine has warmed up.

It had a service two weeks before and all was fine, a VAG garage yesterday didn't mention any issues but this sound was definitely not there before.. It's really frustrating as I've spent £2,000 in my first year of ownership on genuine parts/maintenance alone for the best care and wouldn't expect things to be ****ing up still.

Any ideas on what it could be please?

I can try get another video with someone else revving whilst I record under the bonnet if it helps.

Thanks.

New video, please help!

There's the normal, disgusting diesely TFSI sound but there's this horrible tick tick tick tick noise which wasn't there before. I was wrong earlier, it's there from the get go, cold or hot and goes with the revs as you can clearly hear.

Could be cam chain tensioner on the right side of the engine.

^^ edit - just read your first post, only listened to the video. But still sounds cam chain related to me.

New video, please help!

There's the normal, disgusting diesely TFSI sound but there's this horrible tick tick tick tick noise which wasn't there before. I was wrong earlier, it's there from the get go, cold or hot and goes with the revs as you can clearly hear.
Now I have the AXX engine and prior to purchase the care engine sounded like that. The items that were replaced were cam follower, cam shaft, HPFP and cam chain. My cam shaft had a distinct flat spot where a previous cam follower had worn out and damaged it, which was causing the tic tic tic noise. The noise is gone after the work was carried out. I don't know enough about the similarities between either of the engines (or between A3 and S3) but might be worth considering.

Reactions: HHS3
Could be cam chain tensioner on the right side of the engine.

^^ edit - just read your first post, only listened to the video. But still sounds cam chain related to me.

Hmmm this had crossed my mind, if it is then I'll be going straight back to MS Autos to see what the fu*ck has happened.

I only started hearing a noise from inside the car last week, which is a week or so after I first became aware of a noise from outside the car, which is why I'm half hoping that they're not related and it's a separate issue.. I'm really confused/concerned now to be honest, so going to give Storm Devs a call and see if I can pop in Saturday for them to have a look.

Now I have the AXX engine and prior to purchase the care engine sounded like that. The items that were replaced were cam follower, cam shaft, HPFP and cam chain. My cam shaft had a distinct flat spot where a previous cam follower had worn out and damaged it, which was causing the tic tic tic noise. The noise is gone after the work was carried out. I don't know enough about the similarities between either of the engines (or between A3 and S3) but might be worth considering.

I had the cam follower done in March when I had a remap done and the old one was fine, so it shouldn't be cam follower related hopefully. Just had the cam chain & tensioner done so again, hopefully it's not that which just potentially leaves the HPFP or cam shaft.

How much was the HPFP and cam shaft if you don't mind me asking? I plan on going stage 2 & stage 2+ so might get the Loba HPFP if it is this.

Reactions: Ruhel
How much was the HPFP and cam shaft if you don't mind me asking? I plan on going stage 2 & stage 2+ so might get the Loba HPFP if it is this.
I didn't pay a penny, the garage did the work out of their pocket before sale. I speak the mechanic quite a bit now so I can ask him how much it cost him to obtain the parts.

I went to Storm Developments this morning who are a great bunch, Andy is a top guy and I highly recommend them to anyone for anything that needs doing whether it's performance or maintenance related.

Everything with the engine is fine thankfully, they had a thorough listen and said that it is a healthy sounding TFSI, so just guess it sounds even more diesely than I initially thought due to the high pressure injectors.

As soon as they sat inside the car to hear this noise that I mentioned of, they diagnosed that the A/C unit has completely gone! It's £500 for the unit alone and another £85 if the pipe needs doing as well, so not ideal on top of the £1,100 I've already spent in the last two weeks but I'd much rather that then anything engine related, so I am at least grateful for that.

I didn't pay a penny, the garage did the work out of their pocket before sale. I speak the mechanic quite a bit now so I can ask him how much it cost him to obtain the parts.

Nice, good to know that all of that work had been done prior to picking it up.

Nice, good to know that all of that work had been done prior to picking it up.

He said for all the work inc labour would be about £1000. I didn't that that was bad but I have absolutely no idea how much work on a car should cost.

I see the panic on the forum after leshkin's bad luck with the engine. 2.0 tfsi engines sound like the can of nails. That's the way it is.

He said for all the work inc labour would be about £1000. I didn't that that was bad but I have absolutely no idea how much work on a car should cost.

£1,000 is not bad at all especially for Audi, presuming that genuine parts were used of course of which I imagine they were.

I see the panic on the forum after leshkin's bad luck with the engine. 2.0 tfsi engines sound like the can of nails. That's the way it is.

My cam chain tensioner had disintegrated so it was good to get that and the cam chain replaced last week, the broken A/C compressor noise is horrible as it goes through the entire car when on, so as everything went at a similar time then it really did sound nasty.

As you say though, the normal sound of a 2L TFSI engine is not nice at all which is a shame, it's the only thing I dislike from what otherwise is a lovely motor!

£1,000 is not bad at all especially for Audi, presuming that genuine parts were used of course of which I imagine they were.
He had the work done via warrenty so they only use Audi genuine parts. Can't really fault him, he has fixed any minor problem I have had so far.
Including brand new driver side locking module replacement.

Reactions: HHS3