2006 Tdi Quattro 170 boost issues

Jonezy87

Reaction score
As title got a few issues which I will point out below and wondering if anyone has had similar experience and what the problem is. No fault lights are on dash.

1. Sometimes when the turbo kicks in there is a hesitation and the turbo stops boosting then starts again resulting in sort of jerking? What RPM should the turbo kick in at?

2. I get like a wining noise from engine usually before the dpf needs regen. It's like an electrical kind of wining?

3. Is the 2.0tdi 170 known for being a noisey engine? My engine sounds noisey on start up and like when parking and at slow speeds. Doesn't sound very Audi refined.

Many thanks

Depends on your version of noisy; the PD engine is not that refined for a modern diesel engine and is a bit coarse, especially if you use revs to manouvre. If you just lift the clutch on mine and let it move off it's not bad, but if you add revs it sounds harsh and coarse taking when up the load if that makes sense.

Any reasons why it would like stutter when coming on boost? Thanks

As title got a few issues which I will point out below and wondering if anyone has had similar experience and what the problem is. No fault lights are on dash.

1. Sometimes when the turbo kicks in there is a hesitation and the turbo stops boosting then starts again resulting in sort of jerking? What RPM should the turbo kick in at?

2. I get like a wining noise from engine usually before the dpf needs regen. It's like an electrical kind of wining?

3. Is the 2.0tdi 170 known for being a noisey engine? My engine sounds noisey on start up and like when parking and at slow speeds. Doesn't sound very Audi refined.

Many thanks

1. Definitely shouldn't happen. Is the actuator sticking due to carbon build up? Or do you have a boost leak?

2. This is normal. When idle is raised the electrical whine you hear is the electric fuel pump.

3. What do you mean by noises? Is it a PD or CR?