2006 A6 vs 2011 A6 spec nav

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
Hi chaps, just wondering what the differences are.... firstly have both these cars got touch screen sat nav and is the 2011 car a different nav?

My requirements are a 3.0tdi with xenons (rare I know) and nav as a minimum, just want to make sure without having to run around looking at 2011 cars which Im not prepared to stump for.

Any other major changes apart from the DRL's between the two?

My 2007 isnt a touch screen, not sure if there are any other differences though.

I wasn't sure if it was or not - the screen shots look exactly the same as my RNS-E

different price point so hard to compare.....if you want 3.0TDI and sat nav and Xenons just get a 2005 / 2006 car...not that hard to get, I've got one and love it. :) the C6 does not have touch screen sat nav, you use the wheel..all good!!

I am assuming you are talking about a 2011 A6 (C6 platform) compared with the 2006 and not the new shape A6 (C7 platform), if so then a 2011 model will be the revised (in 2008) model compared with the 2006. The 3.0 engine was revised and has different CO2 output which affects the cost of the car tax. As already stated none of the A6s have a touch screen sat nav it is all controlled through the MMI interface. On a 2006 A6 Sat Nav was an option and there was a choice of either a CD based version with no map displayed or a DVD version with maps and full Europe coverage on the one disk. By 2011 whilst technically still an option very few A6s were shipped without Sat Nav. The Sat Nav was also upgraded to what Audi refers to as 3G and comes in 2 versions, a DVD version which is functionally similar to the older 2G DVD version but requires different disks and a Hard Disk version that provides a 3D mao image with significant landmarks on the display. The HDD version also has a joystick on the MMI control and the DVD drive in the glovebox allows you to play DVDs when the car is stationary. Other changes to the post 2008 models include revised bumpers.

It is worth looking for one of the revised models, if only to get the better Sat Nav, but you do not need to jump straight to a 2011 model. Revised models also had the option of the Audi Music Interface which allows iPods and other MP3 players to be connected and operated by the car. Worth having if it is available.

If you are talking about the new style A6 then the list of differences in huge (but still no touch screen sat nav, although there is a touch pad option if you take the Hard Disk sat nav upgrade from the standard SD card system)

all true but I'm saying you can get nice 2006 with DVD sat nav and then fit dension 500...and then all good on a nice budget...

Revised models also had the option of the Audi Music Interface which allows iPods and other MP3 players to be connected and operated by the car. Worth having if it is available

Its easy enough to retrofit the AMI, I did it to my 2007 A6. Very eay to do if it already has the CD multichanger fitted as its just a case of swapping the CD changer for the AMI. It is a much better option, think I got a brand new unit on ebay for about £250 ish.

Elan thats exactly what i wanted to know, many thanks.... cheers everyone else too, your help is much appreciated.

Situation I am in now is ive just sold my S3 to get an estate, my thinking was to lower the cost of the car im buying by as much as possible - so far my options were to go cheap and cheerful with a fully loaded passat 170, but im not excited about it!! :) next option was the A6 3.0 or 2.7 - id like xenons without doubt (I have a guide to retrofit these too if needs be) including suspension sensors etc... car must have nav (unless I an retrofit as in the passat, dont think i can retro the Audi?) and id love quattro as my last two cars have been, amazing bit of kit!

But then only this morning i've ventured to the dark side, the 525, 530 and 535D BM's have brilliant economy and spec (M-Sport) when compared to the A6's im seeing for around 8k - im torn :(

These three cars are the only ones with boots big enough for my two large dogs so i'm isolated to these options - question is which one!!??

MY other plan was to retrofit DRL's to an A6 hence why i wanted xenons to make the installation easier - but straying from VAG also makes me blind in that i can no longer use my vagcom to fault code, always a plus when ya car goes wrong and something i'd hate to be without despite how often i use it :)

Head fecking stuff!!

You can retro satnav in a c6 a6 no problem
index

Elan thats exactly what i wanted to know, many thanks.... cheers everyone else too, your help is much appreciated.

Situation I am in now is ive just sold my S3 to get an estate, my thinking was to lower the cost of the car im buying by as much as possible - so far my options were to go cheap and cheerful with a fully loaded passat 170, but im not excited about it!! :) next option was the A6 3.0 or 2.7 - id like xenons without doubt (I have a guide to retrofit these too if needs be) including suspension sensors etc... car must have nav (unless I an retrofit as in the passat, dont think i can retro the Audi?) and id love quattro as my last two cars have been, amazing bit of kit!

But then only this morning i've ventured to the dark side, the 525, 530 and 535D BM's have brilliant economy and spec (M-Sport) when compared to the A6's im seeing for around 8k - im torn :(

These three cars are the only ones with boots big enough for my two large dogs so i'm isolated to these options - question is which one!!??

MY other plan was to retrofit DRL's to an A6 hence why i wanted xenons to make the installation easier - but straying from VAG also makes me blind in that i can no longer use my vagcom to fault code, always a plus when ya car goes wrong and something i'd hate to be without despite how often i use it :)

Head fecking stuff!!

cheers chas, suppose I hadn't considered that as I couldnt find the parts on the bay to do the install myself - not a cheap job i expect just on parts alone