2006 A6 Fuel gauge reading empty.... (2.7 tdi)

A6Ian

Reaction score
Last year it indicated intermittently, for the last 2 months it has read zero.

Went in to main dealer today to have the fuel tank wiring loom replaced, they rang me at 4pm to say that it hadn't fixed it and that they had logged a tech query with Audi as they were stuck...... Great!

Left it there over night, lets hope they come up with a fix tomorrow...??!!

Sorted.... Fuel tank sender unit was replaced.

Wonder why they went for the loom before the sender?? Anyway, all good now.

Glad you fixed it. How easy is to replace fuel tank sender? The nidle goes on mine to empty position intermittently. If I go over a pothole it returns to it's "real" position??
Very annoying.Taking car for service next week, anyone know how much should Audi charge to fix this or whether there was any recall on such a fault. A6 2.7 Tdi Quattro '06?
Thanks

I'm amazed that they didn't just test the sender first as it's surely easy enough to take it out of the tank and measure across the terminals while moving the mechanism up and down; either that or simply 'borrow' one from the parts department (this is a main-dealer after all!), plug it into the loom, and waggle it up and down and see how the fuel gauge reacts. If the problem's fixed then the fault is the sender, if not it's something else.

And wiring loom's don't often wear out, especially in a 4 year old quality car, so why did they take your money for changing it? I don't know the whole story, of course, but based on what you've said I'd be refusing to pay the bill and questioning their competence too.

Thanks for your reply. No, the car has not been to the dealer as yet. We saw the issue sometime last year, but it happened only a couple of times. However it looks like the numerous road potholes contributed to making the fault now almost permanent, ie it happens much more frequently and as I said it's very intermittent.
The car is due for service this week, so I wanted to know if there was a recall for such a fault as it seems more people have experienced it?

I'm not sure if there has been a recall, but I believe there is a website where you can check to see. Alternatively, a quick phoncall to Audi Customer Service should get you an answer?

Glad you fixed it. How easy is to replace fuel tank sender? The nidle goes on mine to empty position intermittently. If I go over a pothole it returns to it's "real" position??
Very annoying.Taking car for service next week, anyone know how much should Audi charge to fix this or whether there was any recall on such a fault. A6 2.7 Tdi Quattro '06?
Thanks

Hi, this is how mine started out. It would only happen now and again at first, but after about 6 months it was pretty much u/s for 99% of the time.

I cannot say how much it cost unfortunately as it was under warranty and they didn't specify. I do know it involves draining the tank and poss removal of the tank?? I got the impression that Derby Audi hadn't seen the problem before but am completely perplexed that they changed the wiring loom, prior to replacement of the sender unit.

Let me know how you get on. Ian

I also get the impression the sender unit is not of the 'float' type. I'm suspecting that it may be of a capacitance probe type system? Have no real info on this though.

I'm amazed that they didn't just test the sender first as it's surely easy enough to take it out of the tank and measure across the terminals while moving the mechanism up and down; either that or simply 'borrow' one from the parts department (this is a main-dealer after all!), plug it into the loom, and waggle it up and down and see how the fuel gauge reacts. If the problem's fixed then the fault is the sender, if not it's something else.

And wiring loom's don't often wear out, especially in a 4 year old quality car, so why did they take your money for changing it? I don't know the whole story, of course, but based on what you've said I'd be refusing to pay the bill and questioning their competence too.

It was under warranty so Audi's money..... :beerchug: