2005 S4 clutch judder.

W1LD R

2005.5 S4
Reaction score
Having owned the car for just over a week it's hit me with a problem, when the engine is upto temp the car judders when setting off in 1st gear, it's pretty hard without revving the engine up first to set of without it juddering, when it's cold it's perfect,

I've been told it's probably due for a new clutch and flywheel (currently on 66k miles), and that I should avoid driving it as it can damage the gearbox if it fails, is this correct or is it something that can be ignored for a while? With just buying the car and putting 4 new tyres on it I'm a little skint at the minute.....

it does sound like a problem with the dual mass flywheel unfortunately. all the ones ive come across that need replacing judder when pulling off.

Do you think I should avoid driving the car until it has been done or am I ok driving it easy?

Just drive it easy as well as smooth shifts and rev matching will help on the down shifts :)

Does the vehicle have around 60 or 90 k miles on it by any chance.

Just drive it easy as well as smooth shifts and rev matching will help on the down shifts :)

Does the vehicle have around 60 or 90 k miles on it by any chance.

66 thousand, I've just ordered new LUK clutch kit and LUK flywheel, luckily I have a friend who works in a local motor factors and got me a really good price on the parts, also got another very good friend who's going to fit it all for me as a favour. So not all bad I suppose.

Have your friend check all the engine and gearbox mounts as well

The dual mass flywheel was designed to remove vibration in the gearbox so that the gearbox could be more lightly engineered (read more cheaply engineered) so any vibration through the gearbox could be a problem if you kept driving it for a long period of time but I shouldn't worry about it too much but yes it does sound like the DMF is on it way out.

Well parts have arrived
yquju9uh.jpg

Will be fitting next couple of week....

Well since the parts arrived not much has happened on the s4, I've just returned from holiday today, the parts where supposed to be fitted by a friend whilst I was on holiday but he came across a horror story once it was up on the ramps,
Loose bolts
c379b61850dc9fd257e45dbeb29c12c6.jpg

Oil seeping between engine and box
a7238ed8c38db108fedb2d3240a02550.jpg

He also found missing bolts and black rtv all over the place, trying to stop leaks, which have failed....

Spoke to garage and he said previous owner said it had had a new clutch, so we can only presume last clutch was fried due to oil contamination, so a new one was fitted and they tried to bodge the leaks.... Taking the car back to the garage I bought it from for him to have a look at. Not happy :-(