2005 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI S Line Quattro

ENZO

Reaction score
Ive seen a nice (2005 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI S Line) in "metallic" black < assuming its phantom black?
It has 80k miles on clock

would anyone recommend this model? i originally was after a TDI 170 S line but seeing as i rarely use motorways or travel long distances, might as well go for something with more power.
Im guessing the mpg is in the 20/30 range but should be able to live with it. How many miles on a full tank?

who else has/had one?

Hi I purchased a 06 S line Quattro back in February with 52k on the clock. After driving a Vw Bora tdi for the last 6 years I couldn't recommend the Quattro enough. Does 25 ish around town and 34 mpg at motorway speeds. The handling is night and day better than my previous car and my wife's 320d m sport. motorway driving I can almost get 400 miles to a tank which is acceptable considering the power it has. Recently had mine remapped and havent noticed a drop in mpg either.

Anymore questions just ask

Reactions: stu1974 and ENZO
My brother previously owned one, Roughly mpg would be about 25 city driving and up to 35 motorways as Tezgreig said. Simple answer would be for economy and mpg go for diesel, for fun and power petrol.

Reactions: ENZO
Bought one 6 months ago 2008/08 Quattro S-Tronic. Pearlecent Red, Panoramic Roof. Got wheels powder coated black and the windows tinted black. Also bought a Super Chips Bluefin for about £350 which takes car from 200 bhp - about 240 without affecting the MPG. Cars fitted with allsorts of goodies as it was an ex demonstrator.

Bought the car at 49K and at 56K he Timing Chain tensioner went and completely knackered the engine, luckily Audi supplyed and fitted an exchage engine for free as a gesture of goodwill because the car had a full Audi S/H. I'll be putting my car into the Audi Dealer to be serviced for sure, well worth the extra few £££ if your getting looked after as well as that.

I've got no regrets buying the car, in fact i'm well chuffed that I did, the only thing i'd change it for would be an S3 or RS3 which aint going to happen because of the cost. as for petrol vs diesel I suppose that depends on what you value the most power or economy, glad I got the petrol. Was thinking of getting a diesel but this one came along first and i'd imagine it's much more fun to drive than the diesel version. I can't see past the 4 wheel drive, which is what drew me to getting an Aidi in the first place. I had a loan of my m8's VW Golf 4 Motion and loved it. The only ones that I could find were the R32's and they were just too thirrsty on the juice and no where near as cool as my A3 lol. I got winter tires fitted and drive from Aberdeen to Glasgow every 2 weeks. Got caught in a full on blizzard one night half the cars on the road had to pull over as you couldn't even make out the road at some points and my Quattro kept going at about 60-70mph over taking range rovers provided I could see where I was going.

If your after a car around the size of an A3 and the price is right i'd go for one of these things, as I said unless you can afford an S3 or somthing and also like I said, what you value most fun & speed etc or economy. I'd also recomend the Quattro version if you can get one, but I do stay in Aberdeen so I really get the good of it in the winter.

i may be going to look at one at the weekend.
Has 87k on clock listed at £6200

done a valuation and check on the car and the price is about right from a dealer.

anything i should ask/ look out for?
like cambelt change

Useful thread: So, I have compiled a list of common issues and remedies for the 2.0T - VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

I would just make sure it has not missed a DSG fluid change and has had a haldex coupling fluid change too.
You can always check with your main Audi dealer if it is due for or missed any TSB's. For example, mine was not part of the "coil packs" recall but they were shot anyway at 60k miles. Cambelt is another important one. Always good to take it for a drive and then scan for codes... anyone who is weary of you taking down codes obviously has something to hide. Anyone who is okay with you making all the checks under the sun is a good thing.

Other than that my car has never really missed a heart beat until the in-tank fuel pump went at 65k miles IIRC. Typical of these things to go outside warranty. I had my mechatronic unit replaced too recently and Audi contributed 60% but they only did that because the car had a full Audi service history up until 80k miles IIRC.

Final thought... check as much as you can for any oil burn. Monitor the oil use over the first few weeks of ownership. Audi considers 1 litre per 1,000 miles as acceptable AFAIK but I may be wrong. Anything over this can indicate major problems.

So yeh... mine has run sweet as a nut for over 3 years now and the only things that ever needed replacing was the intank fuel pump as said, the coil packs and the N80 valve. A total spend of less than £500 over the 3 years.

Otherwise, I inspect the HPFP cam follower ever 20k miles and anything else I added to it I did out of modifying and not to fix it. I was on 100k+ miles with original cam but I replaced it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would also take down regstrarion and call an Audi dealer to make sure there are no outstanding recalls or service campaign. Mine had an outstanding service campaign and these are only picked up on if the car has been into a main dealer for a service. Found this pretty poor and it was an issue to do with the camshaft.

A bit... probably by about £150-200 I reckon but that's just me.

does anyone think this is overpriced or about right?

Harratts Nissan - Audi A3 2.0 TFSI S Line 3dr £6,390

You can join which for £1 for the first month and a tenner P/M after that. Well worth it, get the car valued and you can add all the extras on so it's more accurate. Also get to speak to a consumer Lawyer, that just came in handy and saved me a potential £7k as the dude just told me about The Sale of Goods Act 1979 and how it was applicable to my engine being totaled and the Garage that sold me it being liable, they pretty much told me where to go, then I called them back the following day, quoted the Legislation and hay-presto!!!! new engine free of charge!!!! best £10 p/m i've ever spent!!!!! you can also get valuations from parkers.co.uk Which is more accutate though.