2004 A4 1.9 Tdi pd 130 quattro b6 vibration pedal floor steering wheel

Scuttle

Reaction score
Hi

My misses started complaining about vibrations from the accelerator pedal, gear stick, foot well and steering wheel which were leaving her with tingling sensations in her feet and fingers. I noticed it more in the clutch pedal. The vibration could be felt when stationary in neutral. It was worse at about 2000 rpm but was right through the rev range.

Initially it seamed like it was a low frequency vibration. I replaced the NS, OS and snub engine mounts and the gearbox mount with no success. I eventually got rid of the low frequency vibration with a new clutch/DMF kit. On examination, the clutch was on its last legs and the DMF wasn't far behind.

Sadly, I still have a high frequency vibration through the pedals, gear stick, foot well and steering wheel. Its at its worst when in 6th at 2000 rpm. It's more noticeable when the engine is under load.

Holding the revs at 1400 in neutral shows up a "miss?" which you can feel as a gently rock of the car. Disconnecting and blanking the egr vac hose clears this "miss?", appears to give a bit more accel when driving, but doesn't get rid of the vibration.

In the last few weeks I've replace
NS, OS, snub and gearbox mounts,
clutch / DMF kit,
air & fuel filter and injector cleaner

The cars done 115k, it has no fault codes.
The fuel temp sensor is reading 70 deg C, I believe it should be about 30 deg C but can't see that being an issue?

My left foot is still tingling at the moment after getting out of the car 30mins ago. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially suggestions that don't cost anything to try!

Many thanks
Scott

Does it happen only when the car is moving or does it happen when stationary aswell?

It is present when stationary and moving. It's more pronounced when moving though.

I'm thinking the injector loom is a possibility as I'm leaning towards an imbalance across the cylinders. I'm hoping it's not an injector. I think I read somewhere that the loom is about £50 so I'll probably give it a go.

Two mechanics, one a time served audi, can't identify the problem. I'm going to try a third mechanic on Monday.

Just to top it off, the forward bracket on the rear exhaust section just gave up the ghost, spent the last hour welding that!

+1 for injector loom. Easy job to replace but make sure to warm the new loom up which makes it flexible for fitting.

Update. Still vibrating. Replaced the injector wiring loom to no effect.

2 ex audi mechanics couldn't come up with any ideas.

I took it to the main dealer for a diagnostic/check. No faults and within spec on the smooth running test at idle. The mechanic that took it for a test drive (he owned one previously) said it was smoother than the 07 plate diesel quattro he'd just bought. Although all the mechanics in the garage tried it and could feel the vibration, none were put off by the vibration and thought it trivial. In there words, finding the cause would be like finding a needle in a hay stack. On the upside, they never charged for the diagnostic!

Adjusting the exhaust position does change the intensity of the vibration in the cabin but does not remove the vibration. I disconnected the exhaust after the turbo but still felt the vibration.

If I can't get it fixed in the next 2 weeks, then its getting sold. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Try cleaning the connection to the fuel temp sensor, a higher resistance will show a higher temp, may as well iron that out as you've spotted it.
It will adjust the fuelling or engine running to some degree, it'll have a reason for being there...

Check the fuel temp sensor reading in the morning after its been left all night, all the temps should within reason all be similar, fuel, coolant, ambient etc..

Alex, engine & gearbox mounts done.

A quick visual inspection of the camshaft revealed some copper streaking suggesting shell wear and wear on a few of the lobes. In particular the lobes on #4 were worn to the point that the edges were ragged.
One ex Audi mechanic suggested that this may well be causing the vibration and that the cam wear was due to a lube issue. His opinion was replacing the cam was a waste of money and I would do better to replace the engine!
Another ex Audi mechanic stated flatly that the cam wear had nothing to do with the vibration. He was surprised at the wear after 120k as in his opinion they normally last at least 170k+. He's having a look on Monday to assess the cam wear for himself.

Some camshaft lobes worn by up to 1mm, some showing no signs of wear. All shells showing wear, some excessive. Replaced cam, shells & followers. Still vibrated !!!!!!!!!!

Had enough.

Traded it in against a 2 year old BMW X1 xdrive with 16k on the clock, full leather interior, heated seats.... for £18K. Should have done that at the start and saved myself £2K, hindsight is a great thing.... At the time, I couldn't find an equivalent A4 quattro for less than £22K which was too far over the budget.

Sadly, I think that will be the last quattro I'll buy.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

ATB
Scott

Sorry you got rid, I have had this fault before on b6s its the fuel pipes resonating by the peddles that causes the vibration. Can easily be cured by fitting some pieces of cut up sponge round the pipes.
Just seen this sorry again.

I'd been banging my head against a brick wall and emptying my pockets since June, over 3 months. Plus the wife had been suffering for longer than that. It got to the stage where I was ferrying her to work which was costing me time plus about another £70 a week on diesel. I took it to Southhampton and back, a 950 mile round trip in 36hrs which left my feet buzzing for days! No question, it had to go.

Sumo, I hear what your saying but I'd be surprised if fuel pipe resonance would be of sufficient power, but then again, I'm often quite surprised. The vibration had got to a point where you could feel it through the body panels quite strongly, especially both front wings. The tail end of the exhaust pipe resonated to such an extent that you had to feel it to believe it. You could feel the vibration on the passenger foot wells front and back! On saying that, insulating the fuel pipes is definitely something I would have tried! Maybe the next owner will come across this thread.

@sumo Hello!

I found this thread where you write, that you 've had same issues and the cause was fuel pipes resonating to peddles. My b6 is driving me mad, with that vibration. Could you please tell more specific, what should I do with those fuel lines and where exactly.

I have to add, that I've had engine swap for my b6 from 2,5 tdi V6 to 1,9 tdi 130Hp.

Respectfully,
Nbisenieks

@sumo Hello!

I found this thread where you write, that you 've had same issues and the cause was fuel pipes resonating to peddles. My b6 is driving me mad, with that vibration. Could you please tell more specific, what should I do with those fuel lines and where exactly.

I have to add, that I've had engine swap for my b6 from 2,5 tdi V6 to 1,9 tdi 130Hp.

Respectfully,
Nbisenieks

It could be the change from 2.5 v6 tdi to 1.9tdi, the 1.9tdi will vibrate a lot compared to the v6 which is well known for being very smooth.