2004 A3 2.0 FSi. Fuel consumption question.

francisbeaton

Reaction score
Could anyone tell me if I have an issue with the fuel consumption figures for my A3?
I have just put 2 gallons of petrol in it and I got about 47 miles out of it doing mostly short journeys and all urban driving.
So 23-24 mpg sounds pretty poor to me.
The specs say I should be getting 62-63 miles for 9.9 litres of fuel doing urban which equates to about 31 miles to the gallon (4-5 litres).
What kind of mpg figures are other 2.0 FSi drivers getting?
If I do have a problem what can I do to remedy it?
Thanks in advance.

Since I dont know how just to subscribe to a post I would like to know as well - Just bought myself one and now scared

It works out to about 10 km to the litre - Thats not that bad but I know of a lot of 2.0 cars that do alot better

Would love to hear the comments

Did some research and it seems that between 32 - 34 mpg on a combined cycle.And its all the same on all the sites I cited.

Here is the trick though - Its extremely light on highways although the trick comes in on the short journeys you have mentioned then It goes all the way down to 24.5 mpg. Below is an explanation as to why its so much lighter on the highways

If you do most of your driving on the motorway, the Audi will actually work out cheaper than the tiny Ford. That's because of the clever way the all-new engine works. There are two cycles of operation: when the car is accelerating or driving up a hill, the engine squirts petrol at high pressure straight into the cylinder. However, when the vehicle is simply cruising, it delivers just a dash of unleaded around the base of the spark plug - thus saving fuel.

Read more: Read Audi A3 2.0 FSI Review | New Audi A3 2.0-litre FSI | Audi A3 Diesel | Used Audi Diesel Cars | Auto Express

At least Im a bit more settled now.Guess Ill be able to put some petrol in the car afterall

I get mid 20's doing short journeys, maybe early 30's if I'm really gentle on the accelerator pedal. Motorway driving, the highest I have had is around 45mpg.
It can be pretty shocking if you're stuck in traffic though, I averaged 18ish once...

I'm getting 31.4mpg average on my 2.0 TFSI, mostly 20 min journeys, and maybe 2 longer runs of an hour per week.
Scared meself on the first day I bought it though, driving back got 20.1mpg and thought $h1t this is gonna be expensive!!

2.0 TFSI here, had it for 4 days so far and averaged 18-19mpg on the way home from work today over a 30 minute journey... very windy Welsh roads though and obviously heavy footed. The other days i've been doing between 25-30 as long as I don't really touch the boost.

Guys it can't be anything worst than 3.2 v6, had it for 4 months so far and I'm very pleased with mpg, I'm getting 27 just town driving... So if you guys getting below than 35 with your turbo engines then something must be wrong, little stuff makes huge differences...

The question is fsi related and non turbo charged cars, so I think is totally pointless if you are comparing 2.0 tfsi vs fsi as tfsi is far better on fuel consumption than 2.0 fsi...

Hope it helps

Mine is really bad, But I have given up looking now and just enjoy it. I have the 2006,2007 A3 2.0 TFSI S-Line Standard engine at the moment and I think the best I have had so far is 31.5.. Sat in traffic which I am most evenings after work I have averaged as little as 13.5MPG! But it hasn't gone below 18MPG! Since.

When I first got my A3 2.0 TFSI (2006) she was reading circa 31-32 MPG on the journey home (fairly long journey on motorway)
But my typical daily journey to work is about 20-25mins and for a long time I was getting 21-22 MPG when I reset the OBC for Avg MPG

I then decided to add Millers Eco-max to my fuel during a few of my recent fill-ups and since using the millers a few times I've noticed that the avg MPG has increased to 25 MPG upwards

Im surprised TBH as my previous car was a 2004 E46 330ci sport which had a 6 pot 3ltr N\A lump and it was actually easier on fuel - I was getting 27 and upwards from it!

Last edited:
Guys, the OP is asking about a 2.0FSI not TFSI.

I know, but other lads have mentioned the fuel economy they are getting in their TFSI's, therefore I added my fuel economy....

I have an A3 2.0 FSi and my fuel consumption is 25 miles on average m8.

Frank

Sent from my Studio G HD LTE using Tapatalk