2004 1.9 tdi Avant EGR light on plus more.

aps360

Reaction score
Evening all,

Picked up a 1.9 tdi avant quattro sport last week, 90K full history, and thats where the good stuff ends.

Travelled back 200 miles and it pulled well, about 2 miles from home I started to notice a puff of white / blue smoke when setting off after stopping ( traffic lights etc )

Changed the engine oil and filter, cleaned the egr and then blanked it, but it still was emitting some smoke, but not all the time.

I did notice that the temp gauge was only reading 1/4 so changed the thermostat, would the thermostat give the impression to the ecu that the car is not fully warm and deliver more unnecessary fuel ?

I also blanked off the egr but it keeps throwing the engine light on, the plate does have a 5mm hole which i thought might deliver enough exhaust gas to not put the light on,

Any info is most welcome

Yes poor performing thermostat causes overfueling .

Blank needs a bigger hole to prevent eml , new solid blank and remap for full benefits or no blank and egr adaption via VCDS .

Evening Gaz, thanks for the info, how do I do the egr adaption via vcds

Cheers

No personal knowledge as I'm egr disabled with no egr monitored Euro 3 , but like this .

On post 2003 A4's blanking the EGR will cause the EML to keep coming on & off over a few driving cycles. You'll need to get the EGR mapped out to stop that.
Also Coolant Temp Sensor failure is very common all VAG cars from that era, & can cause the ECU to fuel incorrectly. If you have access to VCDS/Vagcom you can check what the CTS is sending to the ECU.
N.B. The CTS has 2 seperate outputs 1 to the ECU & the other to the gauge.

Thanks guys, I've been using TPS for parts so hopefully all ok, I have access to VCDS, where do I look for the CTS values,
:icon thumright: