1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2004 1.9 tdi Avant EGR light on plus more.

aps360 Jul 16, 2018

1. aps360

aps360 New Member

Evening all,

Picked up a 1.9 tdi avant quattro sport last week, 90K full history, and thats where the good stuff ends.

Travelled back 200 miles and it pulled well, about 2 miles from home I started to notice a puff of white / blue smoke when setting off after stopping ( traffic lights etc )

Changed the engine oil and filter, cleaned the egr and then blanked it, but it still was emitting some smoke, but not all the time.

I did notice that the temp gauge was only reading 1/4 so changed the thermostat, would the thermostat give the impression to the ecu that the car is not fully warm and deliver more unnecessary fuel ?

I also blanked off the egr but it keeps throwing the engine light on, the plate does have a 5mm hole which i thought might deliver enough exhaust gas to not put the light on,

Any info is most welcome

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Gazwould

Gazwould Well-Known Member

Yes poor performing thermostat causes overfueling .

Blank needs a bigger hole to prevent eml , new solid blank and remap for full benefits or no blank and egr adaption via VCDS .

4. aps360

aps360 New Member

Evening Gaz, thanks for the info, how do I do the egr adaption via vcds

Cheers

5. Gazwould

No personal knowledge as I'm egr disabled with no egr monitored Euro 3 , but like this .

6. pauldazzle

pauldazzle Well-Known Member

On post 2003 A4's blanking the EGR will cause the EML to keep coming on & off over a few driving cycles. You'll need to get the EGR mapped out to stop that.
    Also Coolant Temp Sensor failure is very common all VAG cars from that era, & can cause the ECU to fuel incorrectly. If you have access to VCDS/Vagcom you can check what the CTS is sending to the ECU.
    N.B. The CTS has 2 seperate outputs 1 to the ECU & the other to the gauge.

7. Gazwould

On a car of that age cts and thermostat replacement at the same time .

8. pauldazzle

pauldazzle Well-Known Member

Genuine parts only.
    Buy cheap, buy twice!

9. Gazwould

Not entirely true..

Beru CTS

Wahler thermostat .

One or both might be OEM .

10. aps360

aps360 New Member

Thanks guys, I've been using TPS for parts so hopefully all ok, I have access to VCDS, where do I look for the CTS values,
    :icon thumright: