2002 S3 big turbo build

suba..who??

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum thought I would share my project, im sure you guys will be able to give me a few tips etc along the way as I havent messed around with this shape s3 much before.
I thought it has plenty of space but I was obviously wrong!
Quick spec list:
Rebuilt Engine (pistons, rods, valves, cams etc) by Mr JP @ JNL
AEB largeport Head (substantially ported & JNL)
R32 tb
RMR largeport manifold
Full race Exh manifold
GT3076R 0.82AR - possibly changing to the GTX3076R
Tial 44mm EWG
Tial 50mm BOV
Spec mini twin clutch and flywheel
Custom D/P and Exhaust system by OJZ engineering
Haldex controller
Brembo 6 pot calipers & r32 discs
I am getting the D/P and exhaust made next week by OJZ engineering, his stuff is the best I have ever seen.
And as for the FMIC, I am having a play with this forge FMIC I have but I have the car booked in with Pro Alloy Racing in 2 weeks time for a custom Intercooler setup if this doesnt go to plan.
And I think it will have to be Pro Alloy, I cant fit a 3" pipe to the TB unless I have some really tight bends or move the battery to the boot which I dont want to do!
The Tial BOV being 50mm is massive and I cant find where I will put that either yet!
IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

I went for the spec minitwin as the car will be subjected to hard launches daily! This clutch is rated to 800 ft lb torque..
IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

Haldex controller
Brembo 6 pot calipers & r32 discs
The wheels are Rota's weigh just under 7kg each if I remember correctly and fit the brakes perfectly without any spacers.
IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

I am getting the D/P and exhaust made next week by OJZ engineering, his stuff is the best I have ever seen.

And as for the FMIC, I am having a play with this forge FMIC I have but I have the car booked in with Pro Alloy Racing in 2 weeks time for a custom Intercooler setup if this doesnt go to plan.

And I think it will have to be Pro Alloy, I cant fit a 3" pipe to the TB unless I have some really tight bends or move the battery to the boot which I dont want to do!

The Tial BOV being 50mm is massive and I cant find where I will put that either yet!

I went for the spec minitwin as the car will be subjected to hard launches everytime its driven..This clutch is rated to 800 ft lb torque..

Im not looking for numbers I just want a powerfull car, though I should realistically see 500hp with the setup.
Bodywork wise I will keep it standard, just need to spray the rims and get rid of the red line around them, incar I have the double din and new s3 steering wheel.

All comments welcome :)

Looking nice buddy. What route are you going down with regards to the mapping- are you going standalone or keeping the existing ecu? The full race exhaust manifold looks very well made. Some decent kit there, I expect it is costing a fair bit. Why don't you want to move the battery to the boot to free up some space? Andy

Very nice, another silver S3 with big power

Only problems i see is the 0.82A/R is big and will be laggy and the intercooler looks small? I know its a Evo one but you may need to look at the AH Fab one or something else

Looking nice buddy. What route are you going down with regards to the mapping- are you going standalone or keeping the existing ecu? The full race exhaust manifold looks very well made. Some decent kit there, I expect it is costing a fair bit. Why don't you want to move the battery to the boot to free up some space? Andy

Hello, thanks mate,
I have the Eurodyne Maestro 7 with base map, I have re-mapped my old car myself and made 480hp on a dyno dynamics RR so I will do the same with the S3.
As for moving the battery I just wanted it looking as standard as possible i.e keeping the battery cover but you are right with the battery gone I will have space for the 3" intercooler piping and the catch tank needs to go somewhere still!

Very nice, another silver S3 with big power

Only problems i see is the 0.82A/R is big and will be laggy and the intercooler looks small? I know its a Evo one but you may need to look at the AH Fab one or something else

Only 300ish rpm diff than a 0.63 but alot more up top.. I used to make full boost by 4500rpm (1.8bar)

The intercooler is actually a forge development intercooler which i was lucky enough to get hold of which is compact but works very well..
I will probably end up taking the car to Pro Alloy and they will be making me a custom kit with one of their cores, I dont care about the crash bar either so they will be able to fit a larger core for me.

Impressive!

Ill be watching this beast, esp with regards to dp manufacture as a pal of mine is using the full race manifold in a RHD and it looks Like itll be tight with the servo.

is it still a 1.8?

1.9 now and also lowered the compression - I know more lag!! But more boost and more timing :)

Impressive!

Ill be watching this beast, esp with regards to dp manufacture as a pal of mine is using the full race manifold in a RHD and it looks Like itll be tight with the servo.

It will be super tight! Lance @ OJZ wants the car for a week so soon as its back I will update with photos..
I made my oil return pipe with engine out, now its in it comes right in the way of where the D/P will go... doh!

The eurodyne maestro 7 looks very good- I contacted them loads of times last year about whether they could support my ecu with their software but they couldn't be bothered getting back to me about it so I'd be interested to know how you got on with them. As for the downpipe, there will be room to fit it in there, they may have to modify the heat shields a bit around the brake servo but with a tight bend there will be room. I moved my battery to the boot to free up space and it does free a lot up so it is worth doing if you want to give yourself decent room to run 3" pipe from the intercooler.

The eurodyne maestro 7 looks very good- I contacted them loads of times last year about whether they could support my ecu with their software but they couldn't be bothered getting back to me about it so I'd be interested to know how you got on with them. As for the downpipe, there will be room to fit it in there, they may have to modify the heat shields a bit around the brake servo but with a tight bend there will be room. I moved my battery to the boot to free up space and it does free a lot up so it is worth doing if you want to give yourself decent room to run 3" pipe from the intercooler.

Cheers guys for the comments, I will let you knnow andy how I get on with the maestro.. I think as Chris is a one man band he gets very busy and struggles to keep up with queries etc etc. But the software is amazing and veru user friendly.

Could you tell me a bit about your battery relocation, what battery box did you use? Also where did you route the power cable through? Sny photos??

Thanks

what turbo?
ECU - stock?
injectors?
fuel pump?
fuel rail?

Full-Race like my))
good luck with project!

Most of the spec is in the first post mate and he mentions the ECU he is using a little further down...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Solyarkin
Yeah the eurodyne looks good i just don't have much time buying parts etc off people that can't even respond to the simplest of emails. It doesn't fill you with much confidence if you have a problem with their product especially as they are based in canada! Anyway at least you have the tuning suite and it does look very flexible especially for a plug and play type tune on the original ecu so you should have some fun with it. I don't have any pics of the battery relocation on the computer i am on at the moment but i will get some to you tomorrow. The battery is relocated on the passenger side in the boot, power cable run along the passenger side to the boot and the battery grounded to the chassis at a point in the boot. The power cable has a trip at the battery in the boot and the original points in the engine bay i have branched together at a terminal junction and made a bracket to hold it in place. The starter cable etc joins the terminal in the engine bay. It frees up a lot of room. The battery box in the boot is just a standard battery box/marine box. It is a bit of work to relocate it and costs a bit but if you need more space then it is an option.