2001 S3 Bose speaker issues...

S3 Paul

Reaction score
My S3's bose set up is aving a few problems...
I have an after market headunit ( alpine dvd ) and have added an JL audio sub
The problem is now that, the speakers in the drivers door , The tweeter is not working and the mid speeker lower in the door sounds rough. kind of scratchy if that makes sence?
So im thinking i need to change the speakers AND maybe it an after market amp.
What is the maximum speaker depth that will fit behind the standard door pods?

About 54mm and they need to be 2 ohm impedance if running off the Bose amp.

I was lead to beleive today that... Bose set up it 3 ohm and will still work with aftermarket speakers?
I planned to buy some speakers to replace the stock items with hope i wouldnt need a new aftermarket amp. BUT that i can use should i need to get an aftermarket amp.

The set up i have sounded great until about a year ago. ( strangely the same time i had to have new wing mirrors fitted ) i did wonder if the removal of the door cards could be something to do with my problems... im told not, That it is DEFFINATELY the speakers at fault.
Is this the case andy??

It's usually the Bose amp TBH, the solder joints on the PCB dry out (loads of posts about it on here) giving the appearance that the speakers are blown. This is typical if the problem seems worse when the amp is cold. Speakers generally either work or don't work, they aren't very complicated!
The tweeter could have just got disconnected when you took the door cards off.
And yes 4 ohm speakers will work OK with the Bose amp but you'll have to wind the volume up more as they will be running at half power, although as you have an aftermarket HU and a proper sub I would simply run them directly off the HU and bypass all the Bose stuff.

This morning i have swapped across the phono leads that go from my headunit to the audi wiring left to right on the front speakers and the right hand side ( drivers) still sounds as bad when driven by the left hand side phono plug... does this point at the speaker??

No, the "duff" speaker is still being driven by the "duff" channel on the "duff" amp. You'd need to swap speakers over to rule out the amp.

Thanks,
Although not a fool proof test, Today i took the door card off to double check the part number of the bose speaker...
The tweeter is dead in the water... nothing at all happening there,
I did manage to get to the main speaker and disconected it... i then put the terminals onto a speaker from my golf... the sound from this speaker was better but about half as loud ( is that the 2 ohm set up running a 4 ohm speaker issue? )
The crackle wasnt there any more,
I reconected the bose speaker and left the radio on while i replaced the door card... When the speaker was layed down the sound was much better , when i lifted the card uptoward the door panel is started to sound rough again, when i lightly touched the cone while the music was playing the crackle stopped, starting again when i moved my finger,
Im all for the resoldering of the amp.
But do i need both the door speakers too?