2001 CORSA DE-OXIDATION

jr001

Reaction score
Background
A friend of a friend, preparing to sell their 2001 Flame Red Corsa, thought it wise to try and get rid of the oxidation that was covering the entire car. Some parts were more severely affected than others, as you will see. Hopefully this would prevent any prospective buyer haggling up to £500 off the asking price due to the paint condition.
Windows, arches, wheels, tyres etc did not feature in my priorities.
The car was given a quick wash and dry. It was quick and not up to usual wash standards. It’s amazing though that oxidised cars always seem to remain quite clean! Hence the speedy wash.

The oxidation could be categorised threefold:
· Really bad (above door lowers)
· Medium bad (door lowers)
· Not really that bad at all (bumpers)

I managed to get a new camera in time for this one, following on from last week’s camera destruction in the wind.

Some General Before Pics
B41.jpg

b44.jpg

Machine Polishing
During the week, I was able to test pad/polish combos on the bonnet. Menzerna 3.02 on a Meguiars Polishing pad removed some of the oxo but still left behind some pinky white patches.
A quick summary of polish/pads/general speeds as follows:

Not Really That Bad Areas
Menzerna Final Finish 106FA on a polishing pad (up to1500rpm)
Medium Bad Areas
Menzerna Intensive Polish 3.02 to cut and refine (up to 1700 rpm)
Menz 106 FA to refine further (up to 1700 rpm)
Really Bad Areas
3M Fast Cut Plus on a Megs Cutting pad to cut (up to 2000 rpm)
Menz 106 FA to refine (up to 1700 rpm)​

Going Round The Car

BONCOMP.jpg

BONBEFFER.jpg

BON50501.jpg

b45.jpg

BONREF5050.jpg

Being single-stage paint (no clearcoat) the total paint thickness reading of 125 microns meant that I could try out the new Mirka abrasive pads and their flip-flop backing pad. A big Thank You to the Polished Bliss crew for next day delivery on these. Sterling service as per usual.

MIRKA2000.jpg

mirka5050.jpg

BONFIN.jpg

MINIB4.jpg
MINICOMP.jpg

MINICOMPSCR.jpg
MINIREF.jpg

REARQ5050.jpg

OSREARB4.jpg

OSREARDURING.jpg

OSREARAFT.jpg

DRIVDRCOMP.jpg

GERM1.jpg

FRWINGDEOX.jpg

RAERQB4.jpg

REARQAFT.jpg

OSFRWINGB4.jpg

OSFRWAFT.jpg

TOPREMB4.jpg

TOPAFT.jpg

Having finished the defect removal, it was time to cleanse the panels of any polish residues that could hinder the bonding of wax. The wax would effectively be the only ‘clearcoat’ this car has probably ever seen! Pre-wax prep was Chemical Guys’ EZ Crème Glaze, applied with MF pad. Residue buffed clear.
Wax was Collinite 476s.
TOTAL TIME: 18 HOURS
By the time the work was finished, there was plenty daylight still left. It seems a long time ago since I was last able to take afters photos outside with daylight. It felt very good to be doing this and no doubt many of you are now starting to feel the same way.
Time to finish off now with some general afters, both inside and out.

BONFERAFT2.jpg

CAROUT1.jpg

CAROUT3.jpg
Lots of pics I know. Thanks for sticking with it!!
Cheers,
JOHN

Thats a fantastic turn around, didn't know you could get it back that red.
We has a Astra estate written off after a small prang few years back by the insurance because of the paint work being like that.

I had a red Astra that went pink every couple of months. Especially the roof and bonnet! I'd hate to be the one who finds out how much paint is left on the car!

Good job on the Corsa tho. Massive difference

good job - added a few £££ to the value i should think!

Had the same thing with mine

Before:
img0555bp9.jpg

img0559el2.jpg

After:
img0758vm1.jpg

img0759rb9.jpg

ignore the stupid wheels :laugh: