2000 S3 57k horrible flatspot up to 4/5k

mephisto

Reaction score
Audi s3
57k miles (owned from new)
Unchipped
Standard throughout (regrettably)

Hi, ive read the FAQ and can't see anything obvious or related there. Sorta been getting progressively worse as well.
Dont seem to have any torque from idle up to about 4k and then it's like a switch, power suddenly kicks in.

eg If im on the motorway in 6th around 2k you feel an initial pickup then it's spluttering (you can just hear the turbo whisitling up and down vaguely) and come about 4/5k revs bang, engine is alive instantly and off i go.
Very obvious in 2nd gear for example, if i accelerate slowly in 1st and then foot down in 2nd, nothing until 4k or sometimes 5k, then instant pickup.

Any help most appreciated.

Mefisto.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yep, MAF gets a vote from me too!

Try Unpluggin it and take it for a quick drive to see if it gets better.

You can get an exhange unit from the dealer for about £75.

Ah top banana cheers, okay where is the MAF (mass air flow?) sensor??

Used to be a mechanic when i were a lad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks chaps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Screwed into the lid of the airbox... in the left hand side and that connects to the turbo intake pipe... Hte MAF has a plug on it.

Rich

chimera-engine1.jpg

The bit that says 'samco' to the right of the engine cover...what thats connected to on the airbox!

Rich

Fannystastic! Just unplugged it and rocketed up the road what a difference crikey, my car has been poorly for a while, forgot what it was like!

Okay so time to buy a new one, any recommendations or ill try German and Swedish or local rip off Audi dealer.
Thanks Rich and everyone else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

No worries!

Go to your dealer, with your old one in hand and ask for a replacement. Its £70-80+vat for a recon maf.

Rich

Maybe try a clean on it? Halfords elctrical cleaner, in a can, spray it libberally on the maf sensor, (dont touch or scrub it, let the can pressure do the cleaning) then let it air dry!
Replug it up and try it.
My AGU 18T golf MAf is fine, but cleaning it every few k miles makes a huge difference to pick up! Usually makes the clutch slip for a few weeks!!

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe try a clean on it? Halfords elctrical cleaner, in a can, spray it libberally on the maf sensor, (dont touch or scrub it, let the can pressure do the cleaning) then let it air dry!
Replug it up and try it.
My AGU 18T golf MAf is fine, but cleaning it every few k miles makes a huge difference to pick up! Usually makes the clutch slip for a few weeks!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally if it is performing this bad cleaning it will not rectify the problem..

Again, worth a try though...Nothing to lose.

I've never found cleaning the MAF to achieve anything! If its causing problems, its too late!