20" wheels ride quality

Candell

Reaction score
Hi

I have seen a nearly new A6 Avant S Line, I have test driven an S Line with 19" wheels and the ride was comfortable, however the car I have seen has 20" wheels.

Will this stiffen the ride significantly?

Thanks

The ride was much worse in my A4 B8 and that was only on 18's.

It really not as bad as i expected this to be on 20's

Had 19's on my golf and the ride was harsh.. Got 20's on the A6 and it's like a dream

I drive my A6 20 inch bbs just fantastic

really not that bad... i've driven an SE on 18s and it didn't feel much different

Thank you, I ended up with a new A6 on 19's due to the awesome deal I got. Took delivery of the car last week, the ride is very comfortable.

Hi

I have seen a nearly new A6 Avant S Line, I have test driven an S Line with 19" wheels and the ride was comfortable, however the car I have seen has 20" wheels.

Will this stiffen the ride significantly?

Thanks
I’ve just replaced my 2015 A6 black edition with 20 inch wheels for the latest black edition with the same size. Cracking car and love the sporty ride. That said, in comparison to the ride in my RS3 it is very soft.

18's will have fat tyres so the ride will be soft...

it should be, but there isn't much difference, i think the firm ride is primarily down to suspension setup, and most audis are setup hard to make them feel sporty

I swap from 20" with 265/30/20 tyre to 18" 245/40/18 over winter and the main noticeable difference is wallowing and pitching on the 18's on account to the sidewall height and maybe a touch less grip slightly due to the tyres not being the best.
I only notice this on corners or roundabouts when I forget that I don't have my 20" inch rims on so soon adapt my driving to suit lol.
The cornering and grip are far superior on the 20" due to the extra width and very low sidewall.
It makes the car much sportier feeling and planted.
The only negative if I am being honest and comparing the 2 sizes are mainly potholes and kerbs!
Mainly because the 20"s are expensive with expensive rubber and the 18"s are more supple and accommodating with there squishy tyres lol.

Last edited:
It's not the diameter of the tyre that decideds the quality and ride , its the tyre sidewall profile and suspension damping qualities.

The lower the profile of any given tyre in relation to its width will have a noticible impact on ride quality .
lower profile tyres will by there nature become stiffer than the same width tyre which has a higher sidewall profile.
The sidewall is a flexible part so acts as a shock absorber , take away some of that ability and you will notice a stiffer ride, run flat tyres are a good example as they have very stiff sidewalls.

A 235/35 18 will have less give than a 235/40 18 , its not a massive change but still a change and factor in different tyres vary in construction compound ,
you get my drift.