2 x 3.2 Owners S3 test drive.

A3_3.2_S-Line

Reaction score
My brother in law is about to replace his A3 Sport 3.2 DSG and his been eyeing up the S3 so he asked me to come along.

We booked a double test drive so that we both can get a go. :)

Here is

We both love the new front bumper on the S3. It really makes it stand out next to the Sport and S-line.

We both agreed the S3 Side skirts are way too under styled and that the rear skirt was a little odd looking.

We where both shocked to hear the engine on start up resembles a TDi, the tappets are really load and you get a Diesel like GERRRRR when pulling away.

First up was my Brother in law, now you need to bear in mind his been driving a DSG for the last 3 years so comparing a Manual 2.0T to a DSG 3.2 V6 was going to be hard. First impressions where 'Oh Hello!' you can definitely feel the take off once the turbo has spooled up we both had a smile on our faces. He drove it softly around town traffic to simulate every day driving. More then anything he started to notice the difference DSG makes to a relaxing drive around town. (90% of his driving is around central London)

Once we got to the dual carriageway he started to open it up. We both thought the pull in the higher gears was very good, however no different to the V6 in performance.

Once on the motorway we where able to test how much speed we could rack on and again it performed pretty much like a V6.

Off at a service station, around the quick twisty bends and around abouts and back onto the motor way for the journey back to the dealership. This time driven like he normally does his car (quickly).

We swap over and its my go. :hubbahubba: My initial thought was, where is the power? Oh there you are I thought to myself once I floored it more. Then it was WOW these brakes are crap as I fump a speed bump too quickly. (Realising the brakes haven't been bedded in).

First set of lights and I leave it in 3rd gear until I stop like I normally do. I had to press the clutch down much sooner then I would normally. Pulling away off the lights went like this. Select gear,2.5kRPM, gas and take off. Um No more like select gear,2.5kRPM, gas and 2secs I'm just going to make a cup of tea before I decide to overtake that van that has just got a car length in front of me.

We stop at a next set of lights 100 meters down the road and I think to my self right the power delivery is obviously different to a V6 lets try something else. Much higher revs this time and take off was stonking. Second gear acceleration is REALLY REALLY fun much better then in the V6 which dies out towards the higher revs.

Now on the dual carriageway I tested to see what happens when you floor it in 4th. Again nothing happens for just under 2 secs and then the sledge hammer comes.

I didn't go on the motorway instead opted to take the back roads back to the dealership to test the handling out.

Without question the S3 feels lighter up front, you don't have to compensate for the weight when your doing a sharp turn into a side road, you just point and it turns. I was very impressed with the transformation. The S3 had the same 20 Spoke wheels as on my car and the suspension is lowered about the same as an S-Line but the dampers definitely felt harsher as the S3 wasn't as forgiving on speed bumps I drive over all the time in my car.

The Verdict.

Hands down the S3 is a nice package, it fun, quick, extremely well priced compared to the rest of the A3 range, should hold its value batter then anything else in the range and should be pretty rare as well.

If you are a 3.2 owner you really don't need to worry, the smooth delivery of the v6 power is in a different league to the 2.0T and the power is much more usage in every day driving.

DSG lovers stay where you are as i think you will regret it in the long run.

And this is just what my brother-in-law has done. So he has decided to get the 3.2 DSG S-Line.

This turned out to be a nightmare!

Its impossible to spec up a S-line the way you want. :faint:

You cant pick half Alcantara seats with out paying £2.2k extra on the S-line. These are a no cost option on the S3!

And once you fully load up the options the car comes in at well over £2k more then a identicly spcced S3! And thats not including the Alcantara seats upgrade on the S-line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Audi are giving the S3 away!

Which ever way you look at it its a total no brainer to go for the S3, he almost feels bulled into changing his mind, his sleeping on it, but I think he will.

What are Audi up to?:motz:

A3_3.2_S-Line said:
And this is just what my brother-in-law has done. So he has decided to get the 3.2 DSG S-Line.

This turned out to be a nightmare!

Its impossible to spec up a S-line the way you want. :faint:

You cant pick half Alcantara seats with out paying £2.2k extra on the S-line. These are a no cost option on the S3!

And once you fully load up the options the car comes in at well over £2k more then a identicly spcced S3! And thats not including the Alcantara seats upgrade on the S-line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:motz:

Remember you will get an easy £2k off the 3.2, whereas the S3 will be harder to obtain be tougher to get cheaper. So the pricing will be roughly the same

A3_3.2_S-Line said:
This actually annoyed the hell out of me when I ordered as I had the Alcantara/Leather seats on my old SE and couldn't have them on the S-Line.

They're available on EVERYTHING bar the S-Line - the base, SE, Sport & S3. Err, wtf!?

MJ Interiors can do you a full retrim (there a lot of PVC in VAG leather interiors, only the seat faces are leather) for circ £1300. Or change the centres to alcantara. The leather is much better quality than factory leather and you can have any colour and any colour stitching. Embosed or emboided logo.

www.mjinteriors.co.uk

I've also driven the 3,2 A3. Flat out very little in it between it and an S3. However the big difference is PUNCH. Driving normal in 4th or 5th gear and boot it the S3 will leave the 3,2 standing and cog swopping. S3 does sound rough next to that glorious V6. Swings and roundabouts.

Had my third S3 test drive yesterday, this time alone. The engine is fairly well broken-in now, with over 2,000 miles... While throttle response is not as good, in-boost acceleration is much better than with the 3.2. There are 100 fewer pounds on the heavy end and that is definitely noticeable, but I think a lot of the difference in "feel" can be atributed to power steering levels (mine is on 3, the S3's was on 6), different alignment, damper/spring/arb settings. For an all-around car, I think Quattro GmbH got it spot-on.

Sad thing about the noise though (and this particular model had already developed the 2.0TFSI's "woodpecker" problem!).

Getting back in my 3.2 I once again fell in love with the VR6's sound, low-end grunt, and linear power delivery...

The S3 is way lower than the S line! 25mm to be exact according to the factory specs.

What mileage did the test car have on?

Mine has just gone over 2k and it flys now compared to 500 ago.

I quite like the skirts especially when you stand at the front of the car and lean left or right to look down the side of the car, the way they bulge out then bend back to the rear wheel arch looks good. Admittedly they look straight when the car is viewed from the side but they are more than enough to make the car look different to other versions like the front bumper.

S3 - rare? i don't think so... read these forums, since the S3 announcement a few months back all that i've seen on here is, S3 on order, heres my S3, test drove an S3, got my S3, S3 is at the dealers, picked up my S3, drove my mates S3, found this cheap S3 demo, blah blah blah..... sorry but that doesn't sound like a rare car to me....

think 1.6 sports will be rarer than S3s shortly! (albeit for the simple reason they are crap!)

JamS3 said:
The S3 is way lower than the S line! 25mm to be exact according to the factory specs.

What mileage did the test car have on?

Mine has just gone over 2k and it flys now compared to 500 ago.

I quite like the skirts especially when you stand at the front of the car and lean left or right to look down the side of the car, the way they bulge out then bend back to the rear wheel arch looks good. Admittedly they look straight when the car is viewed from the side but they are more than enough to make the car look different to other versions like the front bumper.

No 25mm lower then the sport!

Banwell said:
anyone who thinks the 3.2 is as much fun or as quick as an S3 is deluding themselves...

I never said that.
I only called the S3 fun and I never said the 3.2 is as quick , just that the in gear performance was similar at high speed.

By you being nasty I can only assume that you have realised you may have made a mistake.

You have even said it yourself.

Quote:
Sprint Blue S3 (i must be mad) on 56 plate

:whip:

If the S3 was so much better then a 3.2 I would go and upgraded. Notice how i say upgrade as I see a S3 a model up to the 3.2!

I'm just saying if you already have a 3.2 or if you love DSG stick with it as you are not missing out on much.

I personally am going to hold out for a RS3 which is looking more and more likely with the current talk of a TT RS in the pipe line. And if that doesn't materials in the next couple of years a RS4 will find a new home on my drive.:rockwoot:

jordychris said:
what do you mean by the 2.0tfsi woodpecker effect problem

Chris, the 2.0T frequently develops a rather benign fault: a fuel line that runs near the firewall works itself loose, and with each impulse of the high-pressure secondary FSI pump "pecks" against the firewall.

It sounds JUST like a woodpecker, which along with the TFSI's moped noise makes for quite the comical concert :-(

I was going to say the S-Line is not as low as the S3!

Steve184 there are so many S3's about on this site because its Audi Sport ie a enthusiasts site, hence people who have one come here and chat.

I haven't seen any on the road yet apart from the odd Audi dealer demo car doing a test drive and I'm on the road 10hrs a day.

The must be mad reference was due to buying a 56 plate in Jan/Feb and not waiting until 07 plate comes out. The reason I did it was because the dealer made me an unrefusable offer on my 3.2 which would have been considerably less if I waited until March.

DSG - great, not for performance driving though. Great round town as you say.

Not missing out on an S3 is you already have a DSG and 3.2? I don't agree with that.

The R32 is/was a better prospect than the Audi 3.2.

S3 beats them all... Cheaper to fuel too..

A3_3.2_S-Line said:
If the S3 was so much better then a 3.2 I would go and upgraded. Notice how i say upgrade as I see a S3 a model up to the 3.2!

I'm just saying if you already have a 3.2 or if you love DSG stick with it as you are not missing out on much.

I personally am going to hold out for a RS3 which is looking more and more likely with the current talk of a TT RS in the pipe line. And if that doesn't materials in the next couple of years a RS4 will find a new home on my drive.:rockwoot:

Sorry but you will be waiting a very long time, no RS3 planned EVER

JamS3 said:
I was going to say the S-Line is not as low as the S3!

Steve184 there are so many S3's about on this site because its Audi Sport ie a enthusiasts site, hence people who have one come here and chat.

I haven't seen any on the road yet apart from the odd Audi dealer demo car doing a test drive and I'm on the road 10hrs a day.

I have seen 2 S3's one White and one Yellow, ofc this is going to be a rare car, its one of the most expensive hot hatchback cars around, I agree with you Jam

I have driven the 3.2 a fair few times, and I previously owned an R32 and as far as noise and low down torque your comments are fair enough.

I am afraid you have to drive a 2.0T very different to a 3.2V6, I can honestly say to drive and live with day to day the S3 is all round much better, performance, fuelling and handling (not so heavy upfront)

JamS3 said:

I've only seen one and that was Mr Klauster on the other side of a dual carriageway with his foot down......:arco:

JohnS3 said:
I've only seen one and that was Mr Klauster on the other side of a dual carriageway with his foot down......:arco:

hehe really? :ohmy:

steve184 said:
S3 - rare? i don't think so... read these forums, since the S3 announcement a few months back all that i've seen on here is, S3 on order, heres my S3, test drove an S3, got my S3, S3 is at the dealers, picked up my S3, drove my mates S3, found this cheap S3 demo, blah blah blah..... sorry but that doesn't sound like a rare car to me....

I think there is a UK allocation of 1200 cars for 2007. So there shouldn't be too many around. But I could be wrong. ;)

JaminBen said:
....which along with the TFSI's moped noise makes for quite the comical concert :-(
Don't understand that statement !

My 2.0T is as smooth as silk at all times. It is as smooth and refined as the 2.4 V6 I owned a few years ago.

klauster said:
hehe really? :ohmy:

Your reg plate is a bit hard to miss. Wouldn't mind a demo now your remapped. I'm thinking of a cheeky remap too.

pm me John and we can meet up, more then happy for u to come for a spin, or drive it

:happy:

klauster said:
Sorry but you will be waiting a very long time, no RS3 planned EVER

Yeah Cool I know it will prob never happen, but like a said I'll just get a RS4 then...

klauster said:
I have driven the 3.2 a fair few times, and I previously owned an R32 and as far as noise and low down torque your comments are fair enough.

I am afraid you have to drive a 2.0T very different to a 3.2V6, I can honestly say to drive and live with day to day the S3 is all round much better, performance, fuelling and handling (not so heavy upfront)

It could just be that I have got used to the delivery of a v6 over a 4, I've never owned a turbo before so maybe that could be a factor.

It's great to be discussing between an S3, RS4, A3 3.2 or R32... These are all great cars, and aren't usually seen everyday, unleast in my city.

Some of you have a long history with non turbo engines. On the other hand, I have a "long" tradition with turbo engines. Have a 1987 Saab 9000 Turbo T16, have driven a polo G40 that's not a turbo I know, a mk1 S3 and a savage ride in a 993 turbo.

A 6 cylinder will always be smoother, with more linear power, torque in low revs, but the four pot turbo has come from a long way, and the 2.0 tfsi is a great turbo engine, always smoother than the previous generation, and if that improves the handling compared with the V6 version, I'll go to the turbo version.

Only a boxer from porsche or an inline 6 cylinder from bmw will make me change my mind.
Already had another savage ride in a 997 carreraS and that engine looks like it has a turbo! What a car...

If you want to know what turbo'd car feels like! Try a ride in a Jag XJR 11!
3.5L V6 1200BHP and 2.5 tonnes of down forces at 100mph. MEGA.

I have driven a 3.2 on two occasions, the first time I owned 1.8T A3 and thought the 3.2 was OK, 2nd time I owned a Civic Type R, in comparison the 3.2 was awful, poor handling, poor gear change, nice noise, OK performance but poor fuel consumption. I opted for a 20T Q in the end which IMO was a much better car.
IMO I do not think there is any way you can compare the 3.2 with the S3, as the S3 is a far superior car, it is faster and handles better.

13.3 seconds to 100mph, come on !!!!

Klauster does that go for me too re the demo ha ha?

I'm very close to John (In a distance way!!)

JamS3 said:
Klauster does that go for me too re the demo ha ha?

I'm very close to John (In a distance way!!)

sure fella, pm me and we can arrange a meet up

markwiggy said:
I have driven a 3.2 on two occasions, the first time I owned 1.8T A3 and thought the 3.2 was OK, 2nd time I owned a Civic Type R, in comparison the 3.2 was awful, poor handling, poor gear change, nice noise, OK performance but poor fuel consumption. I opted for a 20T Q in the end which IMO was a much better car.
IMO I do not think there is any way you can compare the 3.2 with the S3, as the S3 is a far superior car, it is faster and handles better.

13.3 seconds to 100mph, come on !!!!

You sound like a chap that thinks every car they own is better then any other car on the road.

A3_3.2_S-Line said:
You sound like a chap that thinks every car they own is better then any other car on the road.

Certainly not, I would be deluded to think so. If that was the case I would never change my car. I am well aware of many vehicles that are far superior to mine, I was merely excercising my right to an opinion and stated that it was ''in my opinion'' .

Apologies to any 3.2 owners who may have been offended by my opinions, I am aware you all drive fine cars.

Cheers
Mark

Having driven the S3 and filmed the accelration through the gears upto silly speeds and then taking my 3.2 upto similar speeds also filmed on mobile. There is very little in it once the pace is upped.

I can't seem to download the video files off my mobile.

But there are both very quick

KR said:
Having driven the S3 and filmed the accelration through the gears upto silly speeds and then taking my 3.2 upto similar speeds also filmed on mobile. There is very little in it once the pace is upped.

I can't seem to download the video files off my mobile.

But there are both very quick

can I ask, how many miles did the 3.2 have and the S3, im sorry but the 3.2 is quite abit slower to 60, when I had a R32 the 3.2 was abit slower then that too (the R was remapped mind)

Must admit the 3.2 has 40k and the S3 only 1k so was still tight and not fully loosened up, and I wasn't doing 0-60 more like starting from 60. Just did a general comparison.

If money would allow I would have the S3 but its something which I cannot afford at the moment.

P.S does anyone know how to download videos from a Sony K750i mobile onto the computer, that way I could load them up.

Kris

I think you've got to weigh up all the variables to reach a conclusion on which is the "better" car be it the 3.2, s3 or r32.

For just over £16k I bought an 18 month old / 8k miles / leathered up a3 3.2 from an audi dealer. To my mind that represented excellent VFM, certainly compared with a mk5 r32 which would have costed at least £7k more - I know the a3 may not have the sporty pretentions of the golf, but come on, essentially they are the same car + the audi in all other derivatives is the "premium" brand over the VW.

As for the turbo vs normally aspirated debate, it's really horses for courses. having previously owned an Impreza WRX, I can appreciate the thump in the back type performance you get from a blown engine, but with equal measure enjoy the poewer delivery from the V6. Sounds sweeter than a 4 pot too.

Would a chipped 2.0T FSI Quattro keep up with a new S3 (standard) in a straight line ?
Looking at the specs - S3 265BHP & 258lbs of torque Vs Revo 2.0T FSI Quattro 265BHP & 290lb of torque.
I know the S3 has an upgraded turbo and better intercooler and would easily beat a 2.0T on a track but on the move say 40 - 100 I would have thought there would not be much in it.