1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

2 week review

A4B9 Mar 27, 2016

1. A4B9

A4B9 Well-Known Member

So i'll have had my car for 2 weeks tomorrow and in that time I've covered 1500 miles in that time so I thought this would be as good a time as any to post what I think of it!

Picked her up from Coventry Audi and fair play to them, their prep was spot on according to my detailer. No swirls or any damage to the paintwork! Hand over was straight forward and with no messing about, got in, signed all the paperwork that needed signing and got out of there asap - after all a car is for driving, not to stand there and look at.

I'll start with the good points about the car;
    • Moonlight blue. Stunning colour, the best out there by a country mile and I cannot understand why there aren't more of them on the road but hey ho, the less of them the better - makes mine stand out more. I even had someone stop me at a petrol station to tell me how nice a colour it was
    • quattro. I'll never get another Audi without it, it just pulls away at junctions and roundabouts without wheels spinning and it feels planted when going round corners at speed
    • The 190 bhp diesel engine is pretty rapid, no trouble at all overtaking - just pop it into sport and put your foot down. Job done.
    • Matrix LEDs. Tried the out for the first time last night and they're great. Put them on and forget about them, the road stays lit and you don't have to worry about blinding anyone
    • Virtual cockpit. Don't really need to say much about it other than don't get this car without it specced.
    • The interior. It's different class, makes the B8 look prehistoric. It's a lovely place to be
    • S Tronic. This is my first auto and i'll never go back to manual, so effortless.
    • Traffic assist works OK. It's a bit heavy on the breaking though so it's not perfect
    • Self parking is great for parallel parking, rubbish for bay parking because it takes ages. Got laughed at at work because it took so long
    • Adaptive comfort suspension is good but I thought it would do an even better job of smoothing out all the bumps on the road
    The bad points;
    • Audi Sound System. It's pants, the sound is so flat. Maybe I can improve it by playing around with the settings
    • CarPlay. It's pointless, MMI already does everything it does any way and it works in conjunction with the virtual cockpit. Not for me.
    • Buggy MMI. If you connect your iPhone/iPod with USB and you go into an artist, it always says there aren't any media files so you have to go back out and in again several times until it starts showing albums
    Here's the bit you all really car about, there photos!

Here it is getting prepped

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

A couple of photos from earlier

IMG_2095.jpg IMG_2096.jpg IMG_2097.jpg IMG_2098.jpg IMG_2099.jpg

and the Virtual Cockpit
    IMG_2100.jpg

If you have questions, feel free to ask and i'll try to give you answers!

Configuration link http://uk.audi.com/APNX15NV

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. ScottishA4B9

ScottishA4B9 Well-Known Member

Good review there and thanks for posting. Keep us all updated how your finding it.

Dan241085 and h1r4 like this.
  4. A4B9

A4B9 Well-Known Member

Thought I'd talk about the optional extras

• Alcantara seats. Liking them more than the all leather seats I had on the A5, you feel glued to your seat. Don't know how the cloth seats compare but it's an A4, it deserves more than cloth seats so well worth the £450
    • Flat bottom steering wheel. Doesn't add or take away anything from driving the car but you know what, it looks good and it makes me feel like I'm driving a sports car not a boring old 4 door saloon
    • Tech pack. Worth it for the lovely big screen and being able to connect Audi Connect with Google Maps, much easier than having to get in the car and add a destination manually. Annoyed the ability to control heating and checking the lock status of the car on your phone haven't been enabled yet
    • Light and vision pack. 2/3 for me, Virtual Cockpit is different class and if you haven't specced it I'd strongly recommend you go and get it because it looks amazing, especially with the Google Earth navigation. Matrix LEDs are great as well but I'm disappointed with the ambient lighting, it doesn't really add much when you're sat in there at night
    • Driver assistance pack. Adaptive cruise is great, especially when you pair it with the speed limits - did it all the way down the A1 from Edinburgh to Newcastle where it jumps from 60 - 70 and there are a tonne of speed cameras, side assist is OK but there's never been a point where it's flagged something I hadn't seen myself in the mirrors, lane keeping is useful when you've got a long drive and you don't want to exert too much energy steering. Traffic assist is a bit of a weird one, it works well at time but in other times it just loves to slam the breaks on
    • Parking assist advance. Mentioned it before, pants for bay parking but a godsend for parallel parking. Just used it earlier to get into a really tight space, the only problem is with tight spaces it tends to say there isn't enough space and you have to reverse to past said space again to get it to realise there is (just) enough space to get in.
    • Audi Sound System. Pants, if you can stretch to it, upgrade to the B&O.
    • MMI. It's a bit slow, takes a while to initialise navigation and Audi Connect (to load up your saved destinations from Google Maps). I've also mentioned the weird issue where it won't load media at the first go when you connect an iPhone using USB

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    scotty76, ScottishA4B9 and Dan241085 like this.
  5. woodyuk

woodyuk Member

• Light and vision pack. 2/3 for me, Virtual Cockpit is different class and if you haven't specced it I'd strongly recommend you go and get it because it looks amazing, especially with the Google Earth navigation. Matrix LEDs are great as well but I'm disappointed with the ambient lighting, it doesn't really add much when you're sat in there at night
    I agree with your point of the background lighting option - its just not bright enough. I found the option to turn up the brightness, but does not seem to make a difference. Also the colour is set as white on the bottom of the door. The other edges can be Red, Blue etc, not totally sure its working as designed or what it looked like in the photos when buying. The photos show a coloured glow in the footwell - that is not the case on mine. Its a small thing so not end of world :)

Re: Car Play - until wireless is supported its pretty useless. Also, you cannot use an iPhone as a data connection for the Audi Connect. Not sure on Android. Looks like there is not a bluetooth profile for data connection. So you need a dedicated SIM to slot in the glove box. Just ordered a second SIM from EE that is linked to my main account so that should help. I am only hoping you can use the SIM for data, and my iPhone via bluetooth for Phone / Bluetooth audio.

The SD card worked well - copied a load of music over in well sorted folders and worked faultlessly.

There is no speed camera support on CarPlay (no TomTom, Waze support yet) and the Google Maps or Apple Maps don't support safety cameras. So for now had to rig up my iPhone on the dashboard which is a bit annoying.

ScottishA4B9 likes this.
  6. A4B9

A4B9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you'll need a sim if you have an iPhone as it doesn't support rSAP, which Android does. Ended up going for the 12gb for 12 months sim from 3 as I refuse to pay EE 7 quid a month to use the data that I already pay for

Yes, you can use the sim just for data and your mobile for everything else.

Re: speed cameras, I just have Cyclops running on my phone and stream audio from there. That way I get alerted whenever one is coming

ScottishA4B9 likes this.
  7. woodyuk

woodyuk Member

Thanks - new one to me so will check out.

8. A4B9

A4B9 Well-Known Member

Played around with the sound settings while sat in traffic and cranking up the bass and treble and pointing the sound towards the front of the car has improved things a bit

9. ScottishA4B9

So do you find it ok now?
    I can't believe the standard set up would be so bad in the B9 when the standard set up in the B8 is excellent!
    I haven't ordered the B&O yet but I might tomorrow. I just don't know if it's worth £750!

10. A4B9

A4B9 Well-Known Member

It's OK, not listened to much music today but from the little bit I have listened to, it's way better than it was

ScottishA4B9 likes this.
  11. ScottishA4B9

I listened to and played with the standard system today as well as the B&O. The standard system doesn't seem to bad at all.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. A4B9

A4B9 Well-Known Member

Noticed that the centre armrest has something loose inside it which rattles when you move it up or down but luckily you can't hear it otherwise. Also had my first instance of the s tronic getting confused as to what gear it should be in whilst slowing down at a roundabout causing it to jolt a bit

14. Kev131

Kev131 Member

Really interested in your driving experiences as have ordered 190 TDI with auto.

15. scotty76

scotty76 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. Owner reviews paint a great picture of what a car is really like, warts and all.

16. scotty76

Regarding the sound system I suspect this boils down to what you listen to and how keen on your audio you are. I mostly listen to the radio and an SD card of mp3s encoded anything from 128k up. I'll never need Bose. Also I suspect this is a bit like detailing. Some people see the scratches, some don't know what you are worried about. It's all about personal preference and tolerances. Just my 2p.

ScottishA4B9 likes this.
  17. ScottishA4B9

@A4B9 How's the sound system now?

18. A4B9

A4B9 Well-Known Member

19. ScottishA4B9

I don't know if I should just stick the standard sound system then? Hmmm.....decisions decisions....

20. Stuhil

Stuhil Member

I have B & O in my B8 purely as it was standard spec for model. Must say, not being an audiophile I wouldn't spend the money on it...

ScottishA4B9 likes this.
  21. Phil73

Phil73 Member

Wooohoooo never really "loved" a car before, but this could be the start of something special! Never had a car with less than 100 miles on the clock before!
    190 tdi sline stronic and one more for the moonlight blue club as well.
    So quiet and smooth on the motorway, the stop start is surprisingly easy to get used too and it goes like snot when you add some right foot
    The upgrade from my old b8 se is auto before is huge.
    And the best thing according to my 8 year old has to be that you can watch DVDs on the screen!
    The touchpad on the mmi wheel works well and is easy to use, the led lights are a huge upgrade on the b8 and the high beam assist works great too!

190tdi sline, stronic, adaptive sport suspension, privacy and acoustic glass, tech pack, high beam assist, folding wing mirrors, cloth/leather interior, storage pack
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Kev131, Stuhil, ScottishA4B9 and 4 others like this.
  22. duffbeerman

duffbeerman Member

Really nice....well done sir!
    If you don't mind me asking, when did you order it?

23. Phil73

Phil73 Member

Thank you kind man of duff!
    It was ordered at the end of Jan, but it's through lex and they might have used a dealers through spare slot, as originally it was being ordered through listers Coventry, and ended up in the end going through inchape at Swindon.

24. scotty76

PMSL. :D

25. tadziak

tadziak Member

I don't want to create a new thread, but I was wondering if anybody noticed that. I lately tried to lock the hood by pressing it with my hand in the center (instead of dropping it from a height), around the lock and found out that the hood really easily bends, "gives away". It's enough to pressure it with one hand and it dents like a jar lid. Is it the same in your cars or just my hood is so soft?

26. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

Its made of aluminium I think...

27. A4B9

A4B9 Well-Known Member

1 month and 2000 miles in, verdict? Solid car with a very nice interior. I hope they can patch up the buggy MMI soon

I should treat myself and stick it in dynamic every once in a while instead of being stingy and having it in economy all the time

ScottishA4B9 and scotty76 like this.
  28. tadziak

tadziak Member

If I may ask one more question. Could you please check if your doors also can be 'pushed' tighter a little bit when being closed? I'm still investigating what can be done to make my car a bit quieter inside and noticed that the door (especially the driver's) have some flex, like not shutting as tight as they could. It might also be standard, the seals around the cabin are very soft and spongy...

29. ScottishA4B9

Glad your still enjoying the car mate. I look forward to further reviews from you.

30. A4B9

A4B9 Well-Known Member

One thing which is really annoying me is cruising at 50 mph, it shifts up to 7th far too early causing you to instantly start losing speed making me put my foot down to get it to shift down to 6th to build up speed again only to shift up again and the same thing happening again. It's a constant battle

31. ScottishA4B9

Glad I'm getting a manual then! Lol

Actually that must be annoying.

How you finding it otherwise?
    How's the Audi Sound System now?

32. Dan241085

Dan241085 Member

Have you tried it in Drive rather than Efficiency mode and see if that helps in anyway?

33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. A4B9

A4B9 Well-Known Member

No, but it most probably will at the expense of fuel efficiency. I'll give it a try tomorrow

The Audi Sound System is fine after tweaking

35. Dan241085

Dan241085 Member

I had a quick switch over to efficiency rather than drive and could understand what the difference was in reality, maybe in the long run there is a difference.

What settings have you ended up with on the sound system?

36. A4B9

A4B9 Well-Known Member

Switched over to drive/comfort and it just moves that indecision up from 50 mph to 55mph

I'll try to remember to take photos of the sound settings tomorrow

37. Dan241085

Dan241085 Member

Well was worth a try I suppose.
    The only other option I could suggest is if you are cruising for a long period at 50/55 is that you could switch the box over to the tip tronic +/- setting which would keep it in the gear selected. Not great but may be helpful in your situation.

Thanks getting a pic when you can

38. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

Exact reason why to avoid the stronic, you have little control over what's been programmed in, I much prefer to be in control..

39. A4B9

A4B9 Well-Known Member

Sound settings
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

ScottishA4B9 likes this.
  40. A4B9

A4B9 Well-Known Member

Stuck her in Dynamic/Sport on the way home from work. Should do it more often :D

scotty76, h1r4 and iambu like this.
  41. A4B9

A4B9 Well-Known Member

If I had to go back and re-order the car, I'd probably spec the adaptive sports suspension and the privacy glass to make it look meaner. At the moment its a bit too high for my liking

Has anyone tried out both adaptive suspension set ups?

42. ScottishA4B9

Adaptive sport suspension is a 20mm drop the same as the standard sports suspension! The adaptive suspension is purely for a ride comfort setting and not an adaptive lowering suspension option.

The standard 18" tyres have huge sidewalls which make the car look like it sits higher whilst the optional 19" wheels & tyres have a tiny sidewall and make the car look a lot lower.

43. A4B9

A4B9 Well-Known Member

Got her washed this afternoon which revealed two stone chips on the front bumper :(